What a wonderful woman

Great story. If I'm not mistaken, the U.S. is losing 10,000 WWII vets each day. My dad passed away last year at the age of 89 --- he was a B-17 pilot/instructor. Most of the fliers/airmen of the Army Air Corps during WWII were barely out of their teens. The price of our freedom is NOT free ...

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed it ourselves." --- Abraham Lincoln

Timely words, even (especially) today!

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

One of the best WWII stories I have heard in a long time. Don't think much of the French, but that story is sureal. Thanks for the link!
God Bless God speed

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-12 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-12 AT 11:20?AM (MST)

FEDDOC:

I awoke this morning thinking how I screwed up. I don't post to MM much anymore, and yesterday after viewing the link about WWII widow Peggy Harris' devotion to her fighter pilot husband, Lt. Billie Harris, my emotions veered me away from the focus of your post. I dislike it when a MM thread is hi-jacked --- I apologize to you, FEDDOC, but, more importantly to Mrs. Harris, a strong and very special lady.

I did some searching and dug up a very interesting read commemorating the Harrises' relationship, Lt. Harris' military career, and a recounting of the years that followed:

www.354thpmfg.com/BillieDHarris_part1.html

WWII was won on the front lines by brave men from so many backgrounds, but would not have succeeded without the support of the strong women back in the U.S.

(To all you with an interest in remembering those young air jockeys of an earlier generation, here's a FANTASTIC site > www.armyairforces.com)

P.S. Just noticed in my original post > it should read "1,000," not 10,000 ...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

Great post! For my dad and all the others who served over the ages for us, and for those that paid the price of broken hearts, missed what ifs and memories as well. Dad didn't care much for the French when he was over there, but would've appreciated that lot.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-12 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]Apologize???..no need at all to do so. What you posted sorta flows with the original. No worries on my part.

BTW, your follow on link was cool; Mrs. Harris was a good looking woman with lots of class.

Great story, What a lady she is, That town is what is missing in our lives today. RESPECT

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Beautiful story. Her faith and love ultimately reunited her with her husband. Props to the citizens of Les Ventes for honoring this great American hero.

Eldorado

Thats a tear-jerker! It puts a different light on the French citizens at that time. The French government is what gives them a bad name IMO. People in that town obviously are deeply effected about what happened there. I couldn't imagine going 60 years without another companion in life. That is one strong and dedicated woman.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-12 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]
Mrs. Harris is a remarkable woman, no wonder we refer to her generation as the "Greatest", they certainly are.

I just think it was deplorable that the Texas Congressman was so inept and to make matters worse, make a general apology on "Facebook". This sure validates why people distrust our Congress so much.

Jack

The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel to fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
-Louis Lamour-

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom