What a day.

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Plans were to blast off at 4:45, rocket through Kali and start hunting chukar in Nevada EARLY. Beat the heat, and hit Kali on the way back if I got em early BUT

After a double shift yesterday, the alarm didn't sound so good at 4:15, slept until 5:30 and said to myself, "Just take your time today and relax,. Enjoy it instead of rushing it."

So on the way in to unload my quad (in X5B) I saw 27 deer, all does and fawns. Just after I got into Nevada I saw 3 bobcats. Have never seen 3 at one time before. Got my first honor and point from my pup. After I got em in Nevada, I went to a Kali spot I'd never hunted before but an old timer had told me about and i'd found in the dead of winter last year. On the way there I jump a coyote at 50 yards. When I get there, Darn, 2 quads parked there, but no dog crates on em????

I figured they were hunting the right hand ridge because it looked lots better so I hunted the 2 short ridges on the left. Scat and tracks but no birds in an hour and a half, dogs are done. I got pictures of 4 different groups of horses, including 4 at 50 yards. So on the way out I see 6 deer, at least 2 bucks, best is 20" few miles later I almost run over a forked horn. Couple of miles later it's 10 antelope (didn't see a buck). After I load my quad, I see a deer skylined at 500 yards. Glasses up and damn, it's another buck. A few miles later I see some deer up the hill and stop to glass. As i'm sitting there the 2 quads come by and they have the head of a very respectible 4X4 tied on the rack. I'm thinking, "Poachers." or "Did they reinstate the muzzy hunt in X5B?" Not sure. I pull in the campground behind them (Oilcan, they were camped EXACTLY where I talked to you) and talk to them. The guy that killed the buck and his dad talk to me quite a while. It was a muzzy kill, and the hunter is a game warden.

On the way home I thought, "I saw almost 40 deer today, 4 bucks, got my first point off of the pup, saw 3 bobcats, a coyote closer than usual, the normal antelope and horses plus I'm coming home with another limit of chukar. What a day!"

What an envious day!
How's the quail crop this year? Planning on bringing my grandson up for some quail later this year.

Sounds like a great day i would love to hunt there again just not sure if i am willing to wait that long again.

I did see a Badger while i was there that was pretty cool.

I left 2 things out. I saw 2 small coveys of quail on the way to unload that day but i had my plug out and didn't want to put it in so I didn't stop. And I saw a golden eagle, perched on a rock at about 150 yards. I remembered that today when i saw a second eagle perched on a rock. Today, less variety but I saw 4 herds of antelope. No one will believe me but I saw an "almost" 18" antelope. Poor prong but pretty heavy. Bet he will score good.

Nick, the quail hatch is outstanding this year. Haven't seen them in marginal habitat areas like i sometimes do but in areas where there are always quail, there are tons.

Oil, I saw those 2 bucks again today. I was wrong about the bigger on. Just a 24-25 inch wide, high, forked horn. He was with the little buck, about 15 does/fawns and a 4X4. The 4X4 was rutty but a lesser buck in size than the forked horn. They were grazing and bedded about 200 yards behind where I unload my quad. Draw the antelope tag up here!!! some good one left after the seasons. I'll help you out if you draw.

Thanks Hunter i also saw some Awesome antelope Bucks while i was there.I drew Likely tables in 96' so i am 2 points behind Max but i will be putting in for Lassen from now on,may even try putting in for Archery.
Was the BIG buck just past the Game Refuge signs?

I told you where I unload my quad?? He was a mile of 1.5 miles past there (on the left fork). There were 80 head there and 3 good bucks. and past the spring another 30-40 head with one good buck.

I saw 2 bunches today in a different area. One of the bucks was a shooter.

Good to know there are some good ones left after the season.

IMO, weather has everything to do with it. A bad winter and most of them die. A mild winter and wet spring and they thrive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom