What’s been your most productive time of day hunting mule deer? (Poll)

What’s been your most productive time of day hunting mule deer?

• Total voters
Either the first or last half hour of light when I hunted southern CO.

I've only been hunting up here for 3 years. Up here it seems to be first half hour through mid day.

Lotsa pressure in CO. No pressure here.

Early and later, about equal but I honestly can’t remember. Enough during mid day that I’m still hunting, early, middle, and late.

If only allowed to hunt a half hour a day, it would be at first light.

Last edited:
Talked with my son's about this.

All the deer we've killed since the oldest started coming 14 years ago, have been 10-11 am.

Wild, because in my head I'd say first light is killing hour.

Not sure I've ever killed a deer late afternoon,.

Talked with my son's about this.

All the deer we've killed since the oldest started coming 14 years ago, have been 10-11 am.

Wild, because in my head I'd say first light is killing hour.

Not sure I've ever killed a deer late afternoon,.

Hey Hoss, I'd say about the same goes for me. You turn up a lot of bucks in the first hour of good glassing light but often time you gotta wait on em to bed up before making the move. So, killin time that you posted would be about the same for me.

I've only killed a couple bucks during evening hunts.

This year in Utah's general season ( now) its been late afternoon and evening right at sundown the full moon has been putting them to bed before daybreak but the last couple of days the mornings have been getting better..but normally mornings have been the best for me..

Can we pick all 5? Seems like it's pretty random to me. Since legal light here is 1/2 hour before sunrise and the same after sunset, I would eliminate those 2 because of the short time frame and have to go with after sunrise, but I've killed bucks at all hours of the day.

If it's hot and dry, blacktails are usually bedded by daybreak. (opening day excepted). Between 11am and 2pm is a good time to catch them moving. A great time to take a ride and do a little road hunting. The last hour before dark can be good too, but to answer the question most of my bucks came from a noon drive about. I'm not proud. Whatever works.

If it rains go and stay out from daylight to dark.

If it's hot and dry, blacktails are usually bedded by daybreak. (opening day excepted). Between 11am and 2pm is a good time to catch them moving. A great time to take a ride and do a little road hunting. The last hour before dark can be good too, but to answer the question most of my bucks came from a noon drive about. I'm not proud. Whatever works.

If it rains go and stay out from daylight to dark.
I have to agree with Eelgrass.......if it rains - spend all day at it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom