Whale Hunt!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
So, i read a story like this:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/science/...-sighting-reported-off-California-5807008.php

..and i start to wonder if i'd need a fishing license or a hunting license and Whale tag.

Also, do you think a .243 is big enough?

I'd wager that i'm not the only one here that once upon a time, had aspirations of somehow bagging a whale. :)

A full body mount would be out of the question.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Go get that sucker Joey. We can use the sperm oil to lubricate our firearms. When you get ready to render that blubber into oil, don't call me. I heard it is a stinking hard job.

RELH

How'd You like to Buy them Groceries at up to a Ton a Day?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

You might need a fairly decent posse to pack that bugger out let alone field dress it. Imagine the gut pile!

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Pretty interesting as I always thought Sperm Whales were more solitary.

.243 should be fine. Remember, it's all about bullet placement. A 95 gr. GMX so as not to pollute the ocean with lead. We don't need the environmental wacko's down on us.:)

Eel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

>So, i read a story like
>this:
>
>http://www.sfgate.com/news/science/...-sighting-reported-off-California-5807008.php
>
>..and i start to wonder if
>i'd need a fishing license
>or a hunting license and
>Whale tag.
>
>Also, do you think a .243
>is big enough?
>
>I'd wager that i'm not the
>only one here that once
>upon a time, had aspirations
>of somehow bagging a whale.
>:)
>
>A full body mount would be
>out of the question.
>
>Joey
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

I wonder if feleno or wiz have ever done a full body mount of a whale?

Joey,
Eel isn't wrong too often but he is this time! A 243 is NOT the right medicine for a sperm whale that weighs in at 45 tons!
I hear lots of guys like the 270 for the job. Plenty of power, light on recoil and for sure use Barnes TTSX's.

By the way, do you quarter them for the packout? LOL

Good luck on your whale hunt!

Zeke

I tried once, feddoc...turned out I was in its blowhole. The outcome was the same so it was all good. :)

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-14 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]Thank Guys! I just now came back to this and i'm sitting here laughing my a$$ off!! :)

RELH, You might want to reconsider, Whale tooth Knife handle material is some of the most desired in the world.

BCB, Yeah, we need to control the population of them whales to save our stocks of Squid dinners for them yuppies!

TC, You Betcha on that big Posse! I could hardly pack out my Dink Buck this year. I was thinking of a DIY job from shore, hooking him with a big ass fishing rig baited with squid, shooting the SOB, and then winding him up on the beach. Final plans aren't read yet. Hoping to get some info on places to start. Not here looking for anyone's honey hole. lol

Eel, I was hoping i could get it done with my Dads pre 64 243 that i killed my first buck with 50 years ago. Just think of all the threads i could come up with on that subject. :) I like your load choice but will continue to discuss the subject in the guns, Bows, and firearms Forum and won't do a thing until i hear 440's advice. ;-)

Fedr, Here we are discussing possibly the greatest big game hunt of all time and your mind is in the gutter. :)

Zeke, I agree that a 270 Winchester might be the better choice of cartridges over the 243 and this is one place where the Remington 150 grain Round Nose might have found it's nitch.

Wiz, Was your encounter a case of "catch and release"? :)

You guys are alright!!! lmao

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

don't try and tell me. most of you guys didn't try hunting whales in your younger drinking days??

I have a sperm whale tooth. It's about 6" long. It came from the whaling station at Fields Landing and I got it when I was a kid. One of the guys working at the whaling station gave it to me.

Please don't put that information on the internet because I'm not sure of the legality. Thanks.

Eel

To hell going for the "blow hole" i go straight for the "suck hole"and blow sperm on the whale....:)

"Sometime's i drink water to suprise my liver"

After you shoot the Whale with your trusty 6mm use the "gutless method" not much of a mess then and the sharks won't be bothering you.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Good idea Brian, less trips to the rig and no since packing out all that bone. :)

I been thinking on other ways to land that Whale. A fishing rig, even a BIG one, might not be big enough. Figuring how i can hook a cable to the whale and the other end to my chevy locked in. Might be a problem there i haven't grasped yet...not sure? ;_)

On the bright side, If it works out, i figure i'm a dead lock to be making the big bucks doing a Chevy commercial!

Joey

HMMMM, I have a new 10' 8wt Steel head rod I would like to try out. My question is what fly would I use.... I dont think I remember ever tying a squid pattern before. Am wondering about hook selection, Joey, do you have any Dry Fly recommendations?

SFly, I was thinking 14 weight but my go to Rod for big trout is a 4 so who am i to judge? I'd think a reel with plenty of backing a major requirement.

Dry fly? a large sized slightly different version of a PMD, Pale morning Dun, called a PM1000T. That's a Pale Morning 1/2 Ton, a fly i would develop myself.

Then there is always the old Elk Hair Caddis. It looks like lots of stuff and catches everything.

The purest among us might pick out a size 24 Griffith's Gnat, proving once again that teeny tiny little flys can catch the biggest fish out there.

If all else fails, we could use a fly that reminds me of Wiz, a wooly bugger. :)

Joey

Stonefly, I have a buddy who fly fishes sperm whales from his kayak. He makes custom hooks with a 36" throat, 6' long. His favorite pattern is the "baby killer whale" tied with a red tag to give it an injured look. A Styrofoam body so it floats. He hooked one on August 4th near San Diego and last I heard (before his cell phone battery died) he was somewhere off the coast of Japan. His wife is getting a little concerned.

Eel

Eel,
I hope your buddy has scuba gear too. Once hooked, I hear those things make some deep runs!
Drinking and whale hunting (or fishing).... it doesn't get any better than that!
Zeke

>You can easily bag sperm gobbling
>whales at most bars. Just
>takes a few drinks...

HAHAHA Yes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom