Western Movies

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
What's your all time favorite? I just watched 3:10 to Yuma the newer version with Russell Crow and loved it. Not a huge Russell crow fan, but he sure makes a mean cowboy. Also, The Cowboys with John Wayne is an all time favorite.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

True Grit will always be up there. "Fill your hands you son of a B@#$%" You gotta love The Duke.
Silverado
Tombstone
Young Guns
Blazing Saddles HEHEHE

Sorry, I got a bit carried away.

It's all about the good times...

Tombstone 1st. 3:10 to Yuma (new version) or the Lonesome Dove series and there was a couple of others with Henry Fonda & Jimmy Stewart that were good and of course a few of John Waynes westerns movies. There are quite a few really good ones when you think about all of the different westerns, Wild Bunch, Magnificent 7, Culpepper Cattle Company etc...

"The Outlaw Josey Wales"-Clint Eastwood

"El Dorado"-John Wayne

"Unforgiven"-Clint Eastwood-Gene Hackman

BOHNTR )))---------->

My fav is Chisum, jsut about any John Wayne movie will keep my attention also got to throw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in there. Aw hell, just about any western is better than what is on now.

Anything John Wayne, but I think that my favorite has to be Lonesome Dove. For some reason that movie just is the perfect cowboy (Western) movie to me.

Hands down Tombstone, but Lonesome Dove is also a great flick.

I also like a lot of the old 1950-1960 westerns with Alan Ladd, John Wayne, James Stewart, Audie Murphy, Gregory Peck, William Holden and so on. My boys and I like to get up early on the weekends and watch some of these westerns when there on.

Slide

Lonesome Dove and Tombstone for me as well, but i could watch 3:10 to Yuma again and like it.

It's time for another one to come out too!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-08 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]The Last of the Dogmen ( I think that is what it's called)
Kinda a western.
The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Pale Rider.
The Rounders.
Great flicks!

BigFly
4836e9156b4e92a1.jpg

Lonesome Dove. Robert Duval played about as good a charecter as i have ever seen. Read the book first, good read, great flick!

Does Jaremiah Johnson qualify as a western? If so it's one of my favs, so are Tombstone and any of the spaghetti westerns with Clint.

Grizzly Hunter

You guys are right. I forgot about Lonesome Dove. Tommy Lee Jones is a bad A in that movie. So is Robert Duvall!

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

Lonesome Dove "I hate rude behavior in a
man. Won't tolerate it."

The Sacketts "We're just $5 a day hard rock
miners mister. You don't have to use them fancy
card tricks on us."

Big Jake "Dog"

lrv

Anything the Duke was in, and I'll jump on the Gus bandwagon and say "we don't rent pigs."

You guys all said great ones (Lonesome Dove, Tombstone and Josey Wales), but don't leave out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Lonsome Dove
The Cowboys
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
The Sons of Katie Elder
The Searchers
The War Wagon
Cahill, US Marshall
The Shootist

Yep - most of them the Duke's. Just to name a few.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Oh and by the way Feleno - just because it has "cowboys" in it doesn't make it a "Western" - besides weren't they "sheepboys" anyway?

UTROY

If I had to pick just one to watch, no doubt Lonesome Dove. In no particular order afterwards:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Outlaw JW
Joe Kidd
Geronimo (w/ Robert Duval)
Dances w/ Wolves
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
The Cowboys
Tombstone

T264

I think Lonesome Dove is the best western ever made. But here are a few others I like:

Tombstone
Chisum
Dances with wolves
El Dorado & Rio Bravo
The Sacketts
High Noon
The Man that shot Liberty Valance
The Bend in the River
Winchester 74
Hondo
She wore a yellow ribbon
Bugles in the afternoon
3:10 to Yuma
Jeremiah Johnson

Glenn Ford, Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Clint Eastwood and Jimmy Stewart made some other great movies too.

Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite. "He never shirked a task." Captain Augustus McCrae read this off of the wooden grave marker that Capt. Woodrow F. Call had chiseled/whittled onto just after the group buried the scout, for the outfit, named Deets. Lonesome Dove: I salute you! Cowtag

Lonesome Dove is the greatest, It
is one of those movies that I can
watch twice a year and do it year
after year.

Tombstone is my second.

A huge AMEN to everything listed! Add to my list:

The Bravados w/ Gregory Peck
Once Upon A Time in the West w/ Fonda,Bronson, Robards
The Scalp Hunters w/ Telly Savalis/Burt Lancaster
The Moutnain Men w/ Brian Keith
The Shaddow Riders w/ Same guys as The Sacketts
Red River w/ John Wayne

Two other "Western type" movies that haven't been mentioned, probably don't rate so high cause they get a might over exposed. Very good though and i still enjoy them non the less.

The Man From Snowy River and Quiggly Down Under. Yeah, Auzziland but Western just the same.

Joey

I like Quigley down under too. The best line from that whole movie:

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok" and then after shooting all three he walks up to Marston and tells him as he dies, tells him regarding the Colt revolver "I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it."

Other than that though, it is kind of mediocre.

YES JB! Paint Your Wagon is a classic. I would say Cat Baloo too but it stars Jane Fonda so it loses credibility just because of that.

UTROY

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-08 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]Geez, no one mentioned the all-time classic with Alan Ladd.

Shane! Come back, Shane.

-TONY

Chisum
Eldorado
Big Jake
Rio Lobo
Rio Bravo
Mountain Men
The Trinity Series
True Grit
Quigley
Tombstone

Those are some of my favorites. Definitely a John Wayne fan.

"The Outlaw Josey Wales" This heres my rock candy it's not for eating just for lookin thru

That is the best line from Quigly, but there are several other very; good ones...."We chased all the scum out of our country"....."well, it ain't too brave, but it is smart". The expression on the English officer's face when he sees how many friends Quigly has, speaks loudly.

Conahger....Sam Elliot makes a damn fine cowboy.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I call every dog "dawg" because of that movie. "Move Dawg!"

I also like "The quick and the dead" with Sam Elliot.......my favorite line that Sam Elliot says...."Let me tell you somethin Mcaskill! You been acting like the meek are gonna inherit the earth......The meek aint gonna inherit nothing west of Chicago!"

>Lonesome Dove "I hate rude behavior
>in a
>man. Won't tolerate it."

>lrv

That is my favorite line and part in Lonesome Dove.. Loved it when Tommy used a branding iron and whipped the crap out of that guy...

Jim

The Outlaw Josey Wales. I just love how he spits tobacco on everything and everyone. The old indian in the movie is funny too. "Dying ain't much of a livin boy" Josey Wales

Jeremiah Johnson was my favorite as a kid because all I did was rewind and rewatch the scene where he shoots the bull elk. 3:10 to Yuma is a pretty awesome contemporary Western. Still can't watch enough "Josey Wales" or "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." Tombstone is still too cool.

"I'll be your Huckleberry." -Cody

"Trinity is my name"
"My name is still Trinity."
"My name is Nobody."

Plus Old John Wayne movies from the 1940's before they put music in the background. And I have to second everything already mentioned. "There ain't nothin' better than a Western!"...quote by fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom