Western Hunt Ideas

T

trealtree

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]
My wife and I took our first ever western hunting trip to region B in Wyoming last year (We are from Tennessee). We had a great hunting experience but did not see many decent bucks or mule deer. We are looking into where we should try next year. We are open for any Ideas or regions and or other states to try. We would like an area that we could have a good hunt and possibly trout fish in. I have 1 PP in wyoming for Elk and Deer

If you are interested in a fun hunt for antelope, you might try eastern Wyoming again. You can usually get tags on that end of the state. If you are strictly looking for Mule Deer, I would suggest to try Colorado.
Good Luck

You should think about private land in eastern Wyoming. In region C, there are lots of nice places where you can have a quality deer and pronghorn hunt.

If you look a little further north in southern Montana, you can combine deer and antelope, maybe elk, with great fishing and bird hunting too.

If you were to look in Wyoming, I'd suggest the area from Kaycee to Sheridan. In Montana, anything from around Hardin eastward. I particularly like the country around Glendive for a mixed bag type of trip. Great bird hunting there, as well as excellent deer hunting and some good antelope too.

It all depends on what kind of trip you want to put togehter.

Thanks for the ideas so far, but I was hunting on huge private ranch that I paid a trespass fee to hunt 20-30k acres, The mule deer pop. just seemed low for the area. I slipped up on more than a dozen very nice as my wife calls them "Sissy Lopes" while creeping through creek drainages they were very nice bucks too, but I did not have a tag and had no desire to shoot one at this time.

I will check out Southern Montana I have looked it over in the past but opted for Wyoming.

Region C seemed like the public land access was very limited, but If I could find the right ranch I would pay a trespass fee. I dont like guided hunts so thats not really what I am looking for.

I'm from Knoxville, and have been to WY several times. I can send you pics of the muleys and lopes we've killed on public land. (Can't do it from this computer.) On average, we'll see about one 150"+ muley a year. Usually on the last day after we've tagged out!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]South Dakota West River Mule deer tags, hunt deer, coyotes,turkeys, and fish a hundred differentt places.
I forgot you can hunt Pheasants on the eastern side of the state (East River) too after your deer hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for the info and the email that someone sent, I will respond when I get access to my home computer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom