west of Gillette

W

wisconsinfarmer

Has anyone been around the blm land in unit 17 antelope west of Gillette at the end of October? Is there any goats left on it then?

Thanks
Trevor

There's antelope all over that country up there, but there are only about three spots that have legal access to get to it. The huge chunk over to the west towards the Powder River boundary is rough country and basically all landlocked by private ranches. The areas you can get to legally in the unit are as follows: Take hwy 59 north out of Gillette to the Weston area and you'll find about 10-12 square miles of land. Hwy 59 is the east boundary of the unit. On the way up 59 if you take Elk Creek Road about 8 miles going west you'll hit about 8 square miles of land. Also, if you take hyw 14/16 north there is about 3 square mile of state land south of Horse Creek Butte and 4 square miles of state land to the east of there. Those are the only spots in the entire unit that are easily and legally accessible and why there are still almost 500 tags left for the unit. The east side of the unit had extreme winter kill and the west side had above average winter kill two years ago, but with the decent numbers of antelope that went into that winter they should be building back up already. I have no idea how much pressure there is up there during deer/antelope season, but I think if a guy hunted hard in the ares I mentioned you could fill a tag or two by doing a lot of walking/glassing.

Thanks TG only looking to try and fill one tag but only going to have 1 to 1 1/2 days so I think I'm going to give it try already going to be driving right by it anyway.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom