West Desert

LAST EDITED ON May-17-11 AT 07:38PM (MST)[p]Nothing yet, I put in with 11 points for the early elk tag. Never know, someone has to draw. West Desert Deep Creek that is.

I check today to see if my card was hit for a NR Bull Elk tag in the Deep Creek Unit rifle. Confirmed that I finally drew the Tag! Wow. Now the work starts. Good luck to all.

RE: West Desert - Deep Creek Unit

Anyone familiar with the boundary of the Goshute reservation at Deep Creek Unit? How is the access on the west side? Can you get around without going through the reservation? I have hunted deer up there many time and accessed from the east side near the Basin only.

I have seen some monster Bull Elk up there in years past. Hope they are still there.

I am very familiar with it. You have to go through the res to get into the dell and then up into the basin if you go from the west side. There aren't many roads that take you very high up the mountain on the west side. The hay fields and roads around them will look like downtown SLC during rush hour as soon as it opens. If you choose to hunt them have a back up plan because I guarentee somebody will chase them off the fields and screw you up. I will be out there so if you need any help give me a holler.

got hit for cache just dont know if its the wife or me north archery for me and south rifle for the wife

Dirtysteve,

Seriously, that many people on the west side,even for a limited entry tag? Wow. To get away from the crazy crowds is the reason I chose Limited Entry Elk at Deep Creek.

I will probably get to the top from accessing the east side then hiking to the top and then staying high above the west (Goshute side) side.

Like I said, I am very familiar with the area having hunted the area for deer and Limit Entry Antelope for myself and buddies over the last 10 years. Deer has been sparse for a while, I guess cats been feasting. Antelope are always good out there. During that time is when the number of Elk encounters increased and the thought of Elk hunting seemed like a good idea.

Dirtysteve, did you or a buddy pull a tag up there or do you live up there? Are the roads controlled by the reservation or are they public or a mix of both? Do you recommend contacting the Tribe to at least get permission to drive the roads? Are the Agriculture fields privately owned or reservation owned?

Thanks for your post!

Nstone

some of the fields is resvervation owned. and the roads is mixed on the ones they allow you to use. Also get a current wildlife study area map. The signs move and they hold you accountable.

nstone
PP told you right they are a mixture.
I will be there hunting and have family that live there
Keep in touch and I'll help you all I can

RE: West Desert Deep Creek

Got my official email of notification this afternoon from UDOW on my Limited Entry Bull Elk Tag - Deep Creek, my first choice. Was pretty sure I pulled it, but was wondering if 2nd choice might occur.

Well it will be interesting this year. The del, scotts basin, arts rocky, the hayfields a total zoo. JB

My 19 year old daughter drew the Deep Creeks rifle....... any suggestions on killing a nice bull without killing her?

JB148,

Define Zoo for me. I pulled a Bull Elk rifle tag and have heard that some serious pressure on the west side in mid September. Lots of hunters or lots of people helping the tag holders (hunters)?

Any issues with the Goshutes as long as you stay off their land?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom