weird question

smitty

Very Active Member
I have a small shop, maybe 100 square feet, and I'm wondering how to heat the place safely?

I tried a small electric heater last year, but the power bill went sky high. I've wondered about replacing my ceiling lights with heat bulbs like we have in our chicken coop. I'm not looking to make the place cozy, just enough to keep things from freezing.

Any thoughts?

Run a garden hose from your belcher into it...and make sure the motor is running.

2311idiot.jpg

Oh Chubby, you should know I don't have a belcher, I drive a Tundra.

Oh, wait a minute! I see what you're trying to do! I ain't falling for that trick. That's not nice!

Don't know if your shop is right next to your house. If it is, and if it will fit without cramping your style, try moving your water heater out of your garage and into your shop. It would take some pipe work, but it would never freeze again, and you are already paying to keep your water warm anyway (unless you have an "on-demand" water heater). Replacing your ceiling bulbs with heat lamps will not reduce your electric bill since they both run on electricity. As a second option, unless you live in a very cold region, you could install a 100 gallon holding tank inside the shop along the water line that feeds your shop and house. The water entering the tank from under ground will have enough heat to keep the shop above freezing during cold weather if it is moderately well insulated and if you run water regularly. It will also keep it cool during the summer.

It'll take more than moving the Water Heater in that Klondike SMUT lives in!

100 square feet?

that's only 10' X 10'?

If it ain't no bigger than that,Insulate the Hell out of it,buy a small electric heater with a Thermostat on it,it'll only come on when it needs too(desired Temp!)rather than running Heat Lamps 24/7!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Run a gas line or put in a wood stove.. or get a old oil burner. They take used oil from your car . They are pretty slick

Small solar panel or solar box. They work great for what your are talking about.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

You'd better do something quick so your "special" plants don't freeze.
Grow lights and a drip system works well and make sure you put tinfoil on the windows so DEA can't see in!

LOL, Oh I think I'm funny today.
Zeke

>You'd better do something quick so
>your "special" plants don't freeze.
>
>Grow lights and a drip system
>works well and make sure
>you put tinfoil on the
>windows so DEA can't see
>in!
>
>LOL, Oh I think I'm funny
>today.
>Zeke

If you put the tinfoil on the windows, you'll need to have a vented fan to circulate the air to prevent mildew. Mildew is your enemy.

Eel

To piggyback on what eel is saying...."special" plants need to process their oxygen from the underside of their leaves so run your "vent" in from the floor or at least below where the "special" plants are sitting.

Too many tags= unhappy wife

I hope smitty is taking notes! There's been some really good info given to him so he can protect his "investment".
Zeke

Go to an RV place and take a look at propane infared heaters. Then you will need a propane tank that is designed for winter use on the OUTSIDE of your shop, Make sure the unit will work on a thermopile so it can run on a thermostat. You should be able to heat a shop from 100 - 600 sq\ ft with this set up. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom