Weekend Bear Hunt

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
I got the call last week from my long time hound hunting buddy with an invite to tag along in search of some big Northern California bruins.
I haven't seen a bear that I'd like to shoot in a very long time, but still find great enjoyment in the pursuit thereof.
I loaded up the truck and my son and I headed out.

Fall in North Eastern California is a glorious time of year to be in the mountains...

1-35.jpg

000009.jpg

000014.jpg

Soaking in the beauty of nature always finds me watching other hunters I find in the field.

00000016.jpg

Bear treats abound, with ripe berries in abundance.

3-24.jpg

The first day we decided to run a very fresh track that we happened upon.

2-26.jpg

0000013.jpg

The dogs were released and within a few moments had a bear treed up on this ridge..

000004.jpg

Guess which tree has a bear in it.

0004.jpg

This was a sow with two cubs, but it got the hounds tuned up and allowed for some good photo opps.

0005.jpg

After we got a good look, the dogs were pulled back and with a few whacks on the tree trunk...

5-16.jpg

The protective momma bear had enough and down she came shredding ponderosa all the way down...

0006.jpg

We regrouped and hiked back down the mountain to the pickups to start another hunt...

000006.jpg

With temps rising, the scent dissipated rapidly.
We made camp that afternoon, and staked the hounds for the evening.
Campfires bring both anticipation and reflection.

000001-1.jpg

Sunday morning arrived with crisp mountain air and the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

We broke camp, loaded the hounds and hit the trail in search of old Ephraim.

Several miles in, the hounds struck hot bear scent in the air.

0000007.jpg

We turned loose and the race is on.
We climbed to a vantage point overlooking a canyon to see where the bear will lead us.

This is typical California deer and bear habitat.
It is beautiful yet very rugged and always physically demanding.
I enjoy every minute of being in it.
Smoke filled the air from a nearby prescribed burn, it smelled good, but the haze hampered visibility a tad.

00000007.jpg

0008.jpg

000008.jpg

0009.jpg

00013.jpg

You never know once the chase is on whether you will be going for a short hike or a gruelling all day death march.

This bear treed after leading the hounds on a decent chase.
It was a younger bear and my son and I decided to pass.
However our other companion decided to take it, as the hounds need to feel success from time to time and there was a road within a reasonable pack out.

0011.jpg

One shot from his long barreled .44 mag and it was over.

000012.jpg

We gathered hounds and loaded the bear onto the top deck of the dog box.
I found this unique photo to be quite intriguing...

0012.jpg

As the weekend closed, neither my son nor I fired a shot, yet it proved to be anything but unsuccessful.
I've looked at lots of black bears over the years but haven't punched a tag in going on twenty years.
I never miss a chance to tag along with my friend and his pack of hounds.
Regardless of the fact that we haven't found "The One" that tops my giant of many moons ago, I find the time spent with friends and family in the great outdoors to be more precious than gold.

As a Californian, I take a lot of flack, but there continues to be great opportunity for the outdoorsman here.
I'll continue to take advantage of it as long as I can.
I have a couple more months of searching for a bear worthy of tagging, so it ain't over 'till it's over.

On down the road....

:)

000010.jpg

very cool Harry...lots of fun

WARNING!!!!....do NOT get a rib recipe from snort

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Excellent photo essay HH!! I'm not much of a Bear guy but i truly did enjoy the pic's and the read! Thanks!!

Joey

Good deal HH!

I have only hunted with hounds once and that was on my Mnt. Lion hunt.

Pretty neat experience all and all.

Robb

Just thinkin, is that prescribed burn up near Mt Shasta? I drove by there last week after grabbing some lunch at the Aden market. It was pretty smokey.

It's always an adventure!!!

Easily one of the top reports this year! Excellent photography, cool story line type write up. Thanks HH for putting this up, just what I needed this morning!

Great post Harry I wish you could of capped the bear that stole my wifes backpack at the MT Whitney trail head. LOL

Being outdoors with the son is agreat thing.Been buying a bear tag ever since they were $1.00.still haven't found the one I want here in Kali.great pics.cowboy57

Looks like fun. Thank HH.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Very cool write up and photo's... Looks like great bear country, they like the burns around here as well, I just don't know how they can eat them choke cherries..lol

LMAO at D13er and Reddog... this is why they are giving me chit... http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/15324.html

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom