Web site targets wolf hunters

B

bobcats

Is publishing names of those who kill the animals harassment or an attempt to foster a dialogue?
BY ROGER PHILLIPS - [email protected]
Copyright: ? 2009 Idaho Statesman
Is publishing names of those who kill the animals harassment or an attempt to foster a dialogue?
Rick Hobson, a Boise wolf advocate, used a public records request to get the names of hunters who reported wolf kills to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Hobson posted 122 names and bought a classified ad in the Idaho Statesman that directed people to a Web site.
He said harassment was not his intent.

"I certainly hope that doesn't happen," Hobson said.

But Robert Millage, Idaho's first successful wolf hunter, said he's been dealing with harassment since he killed a wolf on the opening day of the season in September.

The Kamiah man's name and a photo of him holding the wolf was published in newspapers, magazines and Web sites - some of which listed his home address, e-mail address and other personal information.

Millage countered with a Web site of his own to show some of the thousands of angry e-mails he's gotten. Some describe him as an "inbred hillbilly," a "sick killer" and "pure evil."

"I definitely went on the offensive and made it known to the media the dark side of the enviros," he said. "It helped back them off."

Hunters should be aware that by participating in hunts, they're entering into the wolf debate, Hobson said.

"They're paying for the privilege to use a resource that belongs to all of us," Hobson said. "They've made a conscious decision to do something that other people in this state disapprove of."

Idaho Fish and Game requires successful wolf hunters to report a kill within 24 hours. But the purpose of those harvest reports is to provide biological data to manage animals, not force hunters into a political debate, according to John Hendley, a hunter from McCall.

"I have some concerns over the safety of the individuals listed," said Hendley, who didn't harvest a wolf last year and isn't on the list.

"What (Hobson) is doing is legal on one hand, but immoral on the other."

Ed Mitchell, information supervisor for Idaho Fish and Game, said the agency has received a few complaints, but had no choice but to release the names.

"We understand the concerns, but under state law, and upon request, we have to give up the names," he said.

Fish and Game provides no other information about the hunters and plans to add a disclaimer in the next hunting rules booklet that warns people that their names may be released.

Hobson knows what it's like to have his private information in the public arena. Hunters retaliated by putting his name, address and other information on a pro-hunting Web site. It was later removed, and Hobson said no one has contacted him.

"I'm pretty sure the person who put (up) my contact information was doing so in the hopes that I would be harassed," said Hobson, who wasn't sure if he would continue to publish the list.

"The thing for me to do at this point is wait and see what happens and take actions accordingly," he said.

Millage, who bought a 2010 wolf tag, said his recent notoriety hasn't deterred him from hunting.

"They think if they put people's names out there and stop a few people from hunting, they feel like they've won," Millage said.

Hendley, who said he has contacted the governor and state legislators about changing the law to keep hunter harvest reports private, agrees.

"Hunting is a privilege I have earned," he said.

Roger Phillips: 373-6615

http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/1060333.html?storylink=omni_popular

Donnie
http://elk101.com/

I would like to find the names and say congrats to every one of them and tell them good luck for the upcoming season!

One day I hope to have my name on the list, they are welcome to call me.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

Guys like Hobson crack me up. He says on the one hand that "harassment was not his intent." But he then goes on to say "Hunters should be aware that by participating in hunts, they're entering into the wolf debate...they're paying for the privilege to use a resource that belongs to all of us...they've made a conscious decision to do something that other people in this state disapprove of" and responds by posting each hunters name and contact information on a website. Why else would he provide that information other than to target the hunters for harassment and retaliation. What a hipocrite and what a liar.

People like Hobson demand tolerance for their causes and beliefs, but then give none in return. This situation reminds me of the recent fight regarding Proposition 8 in California. The LDS church and many of its members weighed in on the issue -as it and they had the right to do- supporting the proposition but were then vehimized by the other side for speaking up. Names and contact information of the people who supported proposition 8 were published on websites for retaliation and opponents of proposition 8 demanded a boycott against the supporters. The pattern is obvious. The left wingers do not tolerate opposing views and actively retaliate against those they disagree with.

I would love to be on a list of guys that killed a wolf. I would like to be the guy on the top of the list that killed the most wolves. And i would love for a bunch of anit's to try and harrass me. They would't know what harassment was

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

The list would not slow me down on pursuing a wolf!! Ya its their animals/forest too, But as hunters we do alot more for animals and habitat and everything that has to do with the outdoors than any other group. It seems all they do is point fingers and try to cut access and use so nobody can enjoy it.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

where does this hobson gie work find out what he does what business he is with do not buy any of there products.or any business associated with his work place, products also do not support these places we all need to do this. ask business do you support hunting if answer is no dont support them. that will have an affect.we all need to stick together ask all business's you do business with if they dont like hunting let's not pay there bills.hurt them in the pocketbook.

Any other lawful activities they want to harass me over? My little girl caught a bluegill last summer, should they put her name on the web?

Pretty evident where the integrity is on this one. How can anyone claiming to act with morality be so bereft of it??

I have a great idea, lets just kill all of the wolves and not report any of them. I think the enviros would really like that. We play by their rules and we get harassed if we play by another set of rules the only thing that gets hurt are the wolves.

The fact that Hobson was not contacted after his contact info was put on the web shows our(hunters)ethics compared to the anti's.I think the average Joe non-hunter can see what games are being played here(I would hope anyway).It's like the guy that just got convicted of murdering the abortion doctor.What good are your beliefs if your actions regarding them are mis-guided?He makes an idiot out of himself for his cause in the public eye!Just saw an article in this morning's paper.Wolf populations have "held steady" despite legal hunting in Mt and Id.Breeding packs increased from 95 to 111.in spite of more than 500 wolves being killed last year(including those killed by gov.agents).These figures are region-wide.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom