WEATHERBY GERMANY VS JAPAN???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
OK!

Let's hear it?

Pro's & Con's?

German Built Weatherby's Versus Japan Built Weatherby's?

Lookin for the Truth!

None of that He said/She said BS!

I've never had nor do I own any that were built in Germany!

I have a Couple that were built in Japan and they are as accurate if not more accurate than any other brand of Guns that I've bought!

I'd suspect the German built Weatherby's are better!

Looking for the Facts?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I have a friend who has owned every caliber up th .460 and tried them all. He contends the only real thing he has noticed is the German actions were lapped giving them a smoother and more solid feel.
In the used market, you will also find it easier to locate nicer wood and the 26" barrel on the Japanese guns. German guns sometimes have pretty homely stocks. Also a lot of 24" barrels- which seems silly on those powder burning calibers.
All that being said- the several Mark V's he has left are all German. Personal bias and collectibility I guess.

Dean

I had a German made Mark V 7mm it was a good rifle with nice wood and smooth action, wish I wouldn't have sold it about 4 years ago. I have a Weatherby Japanese made 300WSM which I shoot as my main large caliber rifle today. It is a Sub MOA from the factory and when I bought it the target of 3 shots showed .672 I think it shoots that well if I could shoot that well. I can say I don't notice much difference between the one I had made in Germany and the one I now have made in Japan. I've always favored Weatherby rifles and shotguns they've always shot well for me and for a factory gun which is what I can afford they feel good in my hands.

I have the Japanese built Mark Five that I acquired new in 1977. It is at least as accurate as I can shoot it. The pretty tapered barrel heats a bit quick on the range requiring patience when shooting mote than 3 shots. Todays Weatherby built ammo is expensive as hell. I don,t have a military like mind and do not reload. My Winchester model 70 in 300 long magnum shoots as well in my hands and suits me well. I would say both countries produced great rifles. I enjoy mine and will pass it down to my sons.

Japanese ones on the whole shoot better, German ones have slicker actions. Never did care for the accuracy of the initial USA made ones either.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-14 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]All I know is buy the Mark V Deluxe NOT the Ultralight. I've never owned a worse shooting rifle in all my life than the the Ultra.

I think they are all good.
The Weatherby's were quality control people, and demanded good guns no matter where they were built.
Some say the German actions are smooth, and the Japanese Barrels more accurate.
The US made have crappy stocks....But they are all Weatherby guns, and all good.

All of the Saur built German Mark-Vs I have seen were very accurate and alot smoother action. My son now has his grandfather's 2 German built Mark-Vs and both will shoot under 1/2 inch groups.
As for the guys saying that the Japanese guns are more accurate, I believe you are mistaken . You have to remember that the German rifles were built in the 60's and a lot of those guns have been fired enought that they will not shoot groups as well as they did when new.

RELH

I worked in a sporting goods store for over 20 years and sold a ton of the Jap MkV rifles. They all seemed to be really good rifled without complaint.

I've seen and held a few German rifles but never fired one.

There was a Mark V 270 Wby in my stable at one time. It was an incredibly accurate rifle with tremendous wood and I was sad to see it go. I had to buy some airfare for a sheep hunt and was a bit short of cash. Oh well.

I've had a few good ones slip by through the years. That was one of them.
Zeke

I have a MKV in 7WBY, Japanese make. Very smooth action with a crisp, breaks like glass trigger. The thin barrel heats up quick. First shot, dead on. Stairsteps high left from then on. Changed the stock (floated), scope, and numerous handload recipes doesnt cure it. It's a safe queen until I can get moved out of Florida and have a chance to sort it out.

Love the gun otherwise. Also love that 7WBY cartridge.

Back in early 1969 I got a Weatherby Catalog and picked out the options I WANTED and then sent a letter home to my brother to order one for me locally there in our home town. When the salesman looked at the way I wanted it, he wrote everything down on sales slip and told my brother the cost and my brother gave him my check and added in the total cost. He told my brother that to tell me it is going to take close to a YEAR before it will be here in store and my bro said that is ok, he is in Vietnam and won't be home till about then.
Order the Mark V in 300 Weatherby with a fancy grade walnut stock, rosewood forearm w/ivory inlay strip between the forearm and stock. Don't remember the type of checkering but it did cost more. Came with a WEATHERBY 2X7 SCOPE with thin line cross hairs.
I got my Nevada Bull this past NOV with it and will be taking it again this Oct to WYO for another Bull hunt.

Don't regret ever ordering it and it was made by J.P. Saur in Germany for Weatherby.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

In the spring of 1974 I bought a Mark V in .300 Weatherby Mag.(Jap) topped with a Leupold 3.5X10 VXIII for $615.79 I was 17yrs. old and saved my money from the summer of 1973. I grew up reading and hearing about Roy Weatherby and his rifles, and I couldn't be any happier with my choice. I belive the .300 Weatherby is and always will be the "King of the .30 Calibers"

>Evil
>
>I have the exact same
>rifle as yours....Jap made.....It has
>the exact same shooting charactoristics
>I like the gun

I even tried a pressure point on the tip of the fore-end with an oil soaked business card. I think its still in there. Still accepting ideas on fixing this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom