Way late hunt!

B

bucklover

I don't mean to be bad mouthing hunters. I just saw some guys at the Maverick with two cow elk in the back of their truck. They said the cow hunt was still on south of Evanston, until the 25th of January. The elk were whole so I asked them if they had to work to get them out. "No problem, just hook on and pull them out with the snowmobiles. I had someone else tell me earlier, when the elk hunt was still on up Cokeville way, they just took off on the snowmobiles, caught up with a huge herd of elk, then jumped off and filled their tags. Just wanted your thoughts. Number 1: I know it's wrong and illegal to chase these poor elk down with sleds. Number two: In this part of the country, where winter hits so hard, I have a real problem with last year's hunts carrying over clear through January of this year. It's not only tough on the elk, I'm sure any other critter (deer, antelope etc.) is getting pushed around, too. The Idaho site had a big discussion about how hunters are just riding their snowmobiles way up high in the deep snow, where the elk had been pushed, then run them down and shoot them. We need some new rules for the snowmobiles and hunting.

its Wyoming not Utah, and they say the elk herds are over objective, so I don't think the game and fish really cares much if its hard on the elk.

They do it in Colorado too. The sledders are keeping our game warden busy but rest assure he has some help. USFW and other agencies are now cruise on sleds too checking and watching hunters. Don't forget the planes too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom