Way down south in Texas.

Trix4me

Very Active Member
I'm spending a week in McAllen (Mission). Any suggestions for things to see or do. Great restaurants?

When I was in Corpus Christi, my favorite spot to eat was Taqueria Jalisco. Great food. They are a mom and pop chain that stayed local to South Texas.

The beach is pretty cool along along South Padre Island. Lots of tiny deer along the beach once you get out of town.
I wouldn't recommend swimming so much in remote areas; I used to fly over that part of the country in SAR helos...lots of tiger sharks.

Corpus used to have a lot of strip clubs along South Padre Island Drive.

Some great water side seafood restraunts on the outskirts of Corpus Christi.

Take a fishing charter if you have the time. Rockfish and sea trout (red trout?) fishing is pretty good even in the knee deep water.

Yeah you will be a lot closer to South Padre Island than to Corpus. Tons to do there and they cater to tourists, you will be able to find plenty of fishing charters there - Port Isabel has quite a few.

Haven't been to McAllen so I wouldn't know what to tell you about the city itself. However, if you do consider crossing the border to Reynosa there are a few things you should watch out for. First, just generally be aware of your surroundings, - don't find yourself in a place you shouldn't be. Mexico is still generally safe for tourists, so if you stick to the main public areas you should be OK. Be cautions and don't be stupid and you will be just fine.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom