water heater whoas,

Long Time Member
What about it. Smitplicks and ovaries alike step forth from your foreman fronts. How easy is it mine is about to mess the bed. I took a cold shower before work last night. Got down to the thing and carved a tapestry of profanity the devil would blush to. Drip drip drip above the pilot low now sizzled to something less than its formal self. New tank or should I really crank it up and go for broke with the tankless. Broke is about right. So much for the kona spending cash w/out a post xmas miracle. Might have to make my boarding pass into a paper airplane at this point. You'd think we would have a good plumber or two around here for times like this.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have both, tankless and 50 gal. water heater. we installed a Bosch, German made, tankless when we added a downstairs master bedroom and full bath. We have a 50 gal water heater to supply the rest of the house.

The Bosch is supposed to be the top of the line tankless over the American made ones. You may encounter several problems if you install one.

plumbers certified to work on the tankless are few and far between. Our nearest one is in Chico, Ca. and the service call is over 200 bucks. They are needed to program it after installation for proper running.

There has to be a certain water flow in order for the tankless to stay running. If you have water misers installed in your shower to reduce water usage, may have problems with the tankless staying on when you switch your shower head from full spray to another setting.

Tankless has a ground defalt electical plug in that can kick off due to a electrical problem. I have cussed it a few times.

Cost for the Bosch was around 1,000 bucks. Energy efficent tank heater is far less.

I would go for the energy efficent 40-50 gal tank heater and have far less problems.

Use the money saved from buying a tankless to go on that kona fishing trip and you can call my cuz a plick to his face. Do not do it if he has a jug of kerosene in hand or he will light your fire and no more worries about a cold shower.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-12 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]Fellow pipe wrench dude with tail between legs and sore rear backside recommends, if have couple-few kids at home using plenty of hot water on regular basis... go with the conventional.

If you guys are by yourselves most of the time, not there all the time, and don't use a lot of hot water, or, have a existing hot W/Htr that is a Direct Vent, pipe goes up then out the side of the house, expensive, go with the tankless.

I was up until recently, a Rannai dealer. Fine equipment, installed maybe 20 or so units on retro's. Not one single callback for service to date. Regular 3bdr 2 bath, up to 3 bath, i recommend the 75 series unit, about $1300. total in materials.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Been a few years since I put one in, but the feedback I got was always that they were incredibly expensive to run. It takes alot of juice to instantly heat water. In addition you need to have a larger size gas line than a standard heater is usually equipped with, so many times the job involves running a new line to the heater. My advice is just put in an old fashioned tank water heater.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-12 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]This has already been Hashed out on MM a few different times!

You can take your Tankless Water Heaters & put them where the Sun Don't Shine!

In the Magazines they only Bragg up the Good points,SUCKS people right in,Especially Greenie Weenies!

Several Reasons NOT to Buy one!

SOB's were designed & Engineered in warm weather placese!

Designed to work where incoming water Tempratures are way warmer than the Cold water in the Basin!

They Burn 200,000 BTU on an average sized Unit,if you don't have a Water Softener & your water is really Hard that Coil ain't lasting long!

I love the local Competition here installing 5 or 6 gallon per minute Units in Big 3 & 4 & % bathroom houses expecting it to do the job,it won't!

For one Instance/Example:You've got a Big Jaccuzi Tub with a Moen Roman Tub Faucet that will flow 15 to 17 Gallons per minute,cut the number in 1/2 for just the Hot side = 7.5 to 8.5 gallons per minute just on the Hot side = more water than the average Tankless Unit will produce,remember Boys,there's other Faucets in the House other people are gonna open = you're out of Hot water in a Hurry unless the system has been sized by a Pro installing the right size unit and/or a couple of them to do the Job!

People that read the Magazines are under the inpression they will have un-limited Hot Water,NOT SO!They are figured on so much temp Rise & cut the Flow(GPM!) rate back so the Unit can heat the Water to a certain Temp!

There's two ways of Venting them,straight up & they are condensating SOB's in this area,the other way is Install the Tankless Unit on a Perimiter Wall & Vent it right out the wall,Sounds good don't it?Well I've seen this more than once,when this POS is off in the middle of the Night She's OFF,No Pilot,it's off,the Temp goes down below Zero,sometimes 30 below here in the Basin,What happens?The Cool Air comes in through the Vent & Freezes the Coil,you bust the Coil you're Screwed!

I'd place Money your Existing Gas Line is not big enough 1911 unless they are running double Regulators,but Hell,We can remove Walls/Sheetrock & Fix that for you!:D(I'm sure Red wouldn't mind a little Demolition!)

Good Bastards Ain't they?

This just happened a few weeks ago:Local Guy wants me to Install one for him a year ago,I said NO!I know the Guy & if it happen to Fail in 20 years from now He'd be all over my Ass,so He hires another local to Install it & he thinks He's in Seventh Heaven,well this same Guy calls me a few weeks ago & the TANKLESS heater has SShit the Bed,He can't get the Guy that installed it to even come & look at it,and then he tells me:I should have listebned to you,Ya you should have but you didn't,this guys is out 3K & very Pissed,but not at me!:D He called the Factory,Factory said:You running a Water Softener,He says No I'm not,CLICK!!!

There are Places for them don't get me wrong!

The price it would cost you to have one installed is at least 3-4 times as much as a Tank Type!

So 1911?

Do I stay with Red while you're in KONA so I can take care of the Plumbin?:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Na!

I want Red!

Sis is all yours RANS,besides,She'll like your pocket book way better than mine!:D

Hey plick, what heats the water to that outdoor golden shower at the clubgouse you and rug are always raving about?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

This old plumber says youre getting good advice,tankless sounds good when you read thier press. but you will seldom here anything good from those that have had one. this is especialy true of cold climates.

Sounds like you need a new water heater. Quit screwing around and just have a plumber put one in. Just cause plumbers are the dumbest people around, don't for a second think you can do their job! If you lived in Cache Valley I'd have 2 buddies that would hook you up.

Trust you me I know. Just got done with a five hour job that started out as a water regulator check for the mother in law. I would have come out ahead had I forked out the money for tge plumber and forgot about it. Wonder how long my water heater will hold out now before I have to tackle that bear.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Na!
>
>I want Red!
>
>Sis is all yours RANS,besides,She'll like
>your pocket book way better
>than mine!:D
>
>
>
>
>Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can
>
PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T JUST MENTION THE S WORD !!! GRRRR

4174cup.jpg

Let me sooth your woes there 1911! Since December 15th I have had to replace a refrigerator - $1200, a dishwasher - $400, a microwave - $250, a leaking roof on a new addition - $375, a washer - $1500 (front load with matching dryer), and finally today the spring on the main garage door popped - $265 (we needed 2 new opener buttons). I more than feel your pain brother! I am going to have to start crapping money pretty soon if the bleeding doesn't stop.

It's always an adventure!!!

I know what you mean Bull. We must share the same luck. I've actually gone through a dishwasher recently the fridge & microwave are on the edge, and recently did a repair on both the dryer and fridge. On top of it all I just noticed that I don't know how to spell woes when I'm sleep deprived and posting from a cell phone. :) Surprised Cupsy didn't give me a grammar lesson.

I have come to the conclusion that GE appliances are junk. Maybe they all are anymore. It is disgusting what you pay for appliances and can't even get a decade out of them. Contrast that with an old 4 leg stand up GE fridge w/ice box my grandpa bought in the late 30's or early 40's. That thing ran like a cut cat down in the shop up until a few years ago. Only then did it suffer a fatal blow after someone was deicing it and punctured the cooling coil in the ice box. Motor still ran like the day it came off the assembly line.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I think Lil Red should Tackle the Water Heater!:D

Don't know if there's enough time in the Day for you to do it 1911!:D

Ain't life Grand!

One thing Good 1911,I don't think Kona Tickets are Refundable?:D

I totally Agree,modern day JUNK ain't built like it used to be!

Appliances are like Vehicles = Ass Kickers all your life!

Had a Freezer Willed to me in 1985 that was built in the 40's,Purred like a kitten till just a few years ago,try that mileage with a New One!

LMAO!

You're right 1911!

There is a Difference in Water Heater Whoa!

And Water Heater Woes!

CUPSY Slackin or what?:D

Had a Gal call me a few Months ago!

She said You'd best Hurry,gonna be a Die-Vorce if somebody doesn't show up Soon!

Her Husband had been trying to fix a leak on a water line for 3 days,told her He'd save em some money!(Had all the Water shut off!)

I get there,walk in & I could feel the Friction between the two!

I about started Laughing,No BS,at least 200.00 worth of Misc Fittings scattered all over the Floor,stuff scattered eveywhere!

I went back out to my Truck,grabbed a few fittings & Tools & in 5 Minutes problem fixed!

Well both of them were right there,I said there you go,She looks over at him & says:That's it?That's all it took?You f'n Idiot she screams,I damn near started laughing my ass off!

Funny part he had ruined most of the Misc fittings he'd bought & she wasn't giving him any slack!:D

One thing I really liked about this job,the guy was too lazy to crawl under the house,he had pulled the Carpet up & cut a whole in the sub-floor,beats crawlin under a house!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom