Water For Sale?

K

ktc

I was curious about this subject. I know many guys around here have farms and acreage and live in areas all through the west. There are also real estate guys and bulders. In the last 10 years in central Utah, where I live, water stock has gone from $1000 to $13,000. That is for 2 1/2 acre feet of water. I have heard prices in central utah running anywhere from 5k-50k per acre foot in different towns.

I would like to hear what it cost where you live? Where are you from? What does water cost? For how many acre feet? If you know please post it up. We always talk about home and land prices which are in part driven by the water supply and demand.

ktc!!!

I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT IT WOULD BE SELLING FOR AROUND HERE IF YOU COULD FIND ANY FOR SALE???

I ALMOST BOUGHT A FEW MORE SHARES SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT THEY PASSED A LAW SAYING YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE SHARE PER ACRE!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHO THE A$$HOLES WERE THAT GOT THAT LAW PASSED???

THERES ONE THING FOR SURE!!!

IT AIN'T FAR AWAY & YOU'RE GONNA SEE WATER BECOME VERY,VERY VALUABLE!!!

MARK MY WORD ON IT!!!

THEY ARE THINKING ABOUT RUNNING A PIPELINE FROM FLAMING GORGE TO DENVER COLORADO!!!

AND ITS A BIG PIPELINE!!!

WATER IS GONNA BE DAMN VALUABLE IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Water hard to get in Altamont? That suprises me! Really?

It is almost like gold in the big city!

I cannot wait and hear what the desert Arizona and Nevada guys say?

LOCALS BUYING PROPERTY/WATER SHARES ONLY HAPPENS BY A HANDFUL OF LOCALS!!!

THEY PRICE EVERYTHING CLEAR OUTA SIGHT!!!

GOT A FEW OF EM THAT ARE BUYING IT NO MATTER THE COST!!!

HARD FOR THE POORBOYS TO COMPETE WITH THAT!!!

AND IF ONE OF THE 6 LOCALS DON'T SLICK IT UP!!!

SOMEBODY FROM KALI SLICKS IT UP THINKING THEY GOT A REAL BARGAIN!!!

COMPARED TO KALI,ITS PROBABLY A BARGAIN,BUT FRICK!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Really good question KTC! But no real answer. If you ever figure out the water right laws, let me know. I think you are talking about under ground water. Depending on the aquifer you are on like Washington County, Utah. I have heard up to 30K per acre foot. However you have to have the ground to go with it or it's worthless.

Here in Iron County I own 50 shares of ?primary water? right in an irrigation company. Primary means that I get what ever water is coming down the creek off the top. Other water users only get what I don't use! It's so complicated it will give you a headache. Right now the city will buy surface water for about $750.00 a share. Some how I think that is going to go up exponentially over the next few years. After all we do live in a desert and water is finite! Maybe I'm just dreaming of being the next Warren Buffet but I really think one day my kids are going to be in pretty good shape!

RUS

RUS,

I am mostly talking Irrigation/Primary water? The stuff in the ditch! Ha! Either way, here, it is about 5-6 thousand per acre foot. The town of Midway is the one I hear is 50k! Yikes!!!

You are right. Those 50 shares are going to make you a happy man. My advice from what I have seen? Buy more!

Water at my farm ground is from a 100 year old water district and is $14 an acre foot. 5 miles away it is several hundred.

JB

D-CUP!!!

WATER IS THAT CHEAP IN KALI???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Where I live in Kali the only month you don't need a rain coat is August. I guess that's why our "corn" gets to be over 300' tall!:)

Eel

Utah--- The Director of the Water Resources in Utah has stated that they think Utah has misappropriated its water resources by 100% (mostly underground). They are in discussion on how to re-appropriate the water (especially underground) to give rights holders 50% of what they had. Now how they will do that is anyone's guess, but a local developer I know was informed this week they now do not have enough water to finish their upscale Utah County development, even though it has been on record for over 20 years. Another existing sub-division (25 years) has been informed they now do not have enough water rights to service the existing homes. Every pump/spring in the state of Utah is supposed to have a meter on it within 5 years.

As for water costs, it really depends on the area and transferability. A share of Provo Full (municipal use possibilities) runs over $30,000. American Fork primary runs around $13,000. Alpine primary is around $7,000. Lehi from AF canyon was about $10,000 last I heard. Indianola valley sub-surface was about $3,000/acre foot last I head, but you can't transfer it out of the canyon. And ktc was correct, I heard over $50,000 in Midway.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

Can't you buy water rights in Northern Utah and transfer them to land in Southern I think I remember reading something about that. Water rights on the east side was transfered to land down around Moab. Is this still right or have it changed.

Gator,

I am probably not the right guy to ask, but I would say no. I think water, to be transfered, must stay in the same drainage area? I know I explained that crappy! Ha!

I live right above the Ogalla aguifer the largest underground water supply in the world. It is a huge issue right now, they have placed a moratorium on center pivots to limit it's use. Farmers and ranchers have until I think June 1st of this year to file permits, unbelievable the amount of pasture and marginal land going into Pivots to raise that valuable corn.

The Legislature had to create a law to keep a Colorado company from running a pipeline from central Nebraska to supply Denver with water. I think it will be as big an issue as oil in just a few years.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-08 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]Mark Twain said "whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over"

JB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-08 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]Here in northern California, there are water sales going on from agricultural water districts to southern California metropolitan water districts for about $125.00 per acre/foot. I may be wrong on the exact price, but that is in the ballpark.

That is the price for the sale of the actual water. It is not for the sale of the water right.

I remember reading about some-one buying up some water rights from up around Provo area and had them transfered to the Moab area and now they get their water from one of the creeks that comes out of the LaSals Mtns for the land they brought down around that area. Have any of you heard of that happening.

As far as I understand, water, in Utah, can only be transferred within the drainage or aquifer, in most cases. For example, when Micron needed more water for their Lehi facility they purchased transferrable rights 30 miles away in Genola and transferred the use to Lehi. This was possible because the aquifer and drainage is shared.

Now when us "Fronts" decided to steal water from the basin, we had to pipe it from their drainage to ours. We (CUP) built dams and pipelines to take what was theirs and use it for ourselves. The best part----- they helped pay for it. Thanks Bobby!!!!! (I hope some can sense the touch of sarcasm in my last paragraph :) )

Without a pipe, the transfer of water from Provo to Moab would not be feasible. In my opinion. (Which isn't worth much, especially on an internet site)

The Water War that is going on right now will determine the future of a large portion of Utah. Las Vegas is trying to pump and pipe water from a shared aquifer on the Utah boarder near the Deep Creek Mtns. This would drastically hurt the area's current water situation.

There are a few tangents for you..........

www.sagebasin.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom