Wasatch Unit Elk

D

drcalderwood

What would you all say are the heaviest hunted areas in the Wasatch Unit for the elk hunt? I have my mind made up on where I want to hunt, but I was curious what the heaviest hunted areas were so I could avoid them now and forever.
From what I have seen, it seems like there are a ton of hunters that cover Clyde Creek and Mud Creek just west of Strawberry. I've also seen gobs and gobs of trucks north of Strawberry going up Chicken Creek and Co-op creek. And from the sound of it Currant Creek is usually crawling with hunters as well.
On the general hunt, sometimes I would rather eat tag soup and not feel like I am in a sea of orange than hunt in an area with higher success but deal with the swarms of hunters. Anymore in Utah though, I don't know if it's possible to truly escape the hunters unless you hike way back in the Uintahs.

If you're anywhere near the roads in the Strawberry valley it will be crowded. Period!
Even in the areas that you mentioned you can get away from the crowds. We always look for "steep, deep or distant" places to hunt and always seem to do pretty well.
If you want an easy access area you're going to feel the pressure even on a LE hunt!
What tag do you have in your pocket?
Zeke

I have the limited entry rifle tag. I will be using a horse, so I can easily get a couple of miles off the road. It just seems like no place is less than two miles from a road. I see forest roads all over the place that criss cross every square mile.

>I have the limited entry rifle
>tag. I will be
>using a horse, so I
>can easily get a couple
>of miles off the road.
> It just seems like
>no place is less than
>two miles from a road.
> I see forest roads
>all over the place that
>criss cross every square mile.
>

There are still places you can go and get away from the crowds and miles away from people. But you are right there are alot of roads, just need to look for the places there aren't.

>I have the limited entry rifle
>tag. I will be
>using a horse, so I
>can easily get a couple
>of miles off the road.
> It just seems like
>no place is less than
>two miles from a road.
> I see forest roads
>all over the place that
>criss cross every square mile.
>

We make it easy so everyone can just shoot them from the roads.

I was up yesterday and ran into 15 bulls. One pretty good bull and one that makes my second biggest bull ever. Should be a awesome year. Makes me wish I had planned accordingly this year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom