Wasatch Mountain Moose Help

RoadlessHunter

My dad drew out on the Wasatch moose and I am wonder what size can we expect to find. We usually put in for Ogden unit, but they have reduced the tags to nothing and the moose are virtually non existent anymore.

I was just wondering what size we should be expecting on the Wasatch. I have seen some good ones on our cow elk hunts, but I have no idea how score works on moose.

Sure wish we had the tag 10 years ago on the Ogden unit. The governors tag holder and his 10 guides were chasing a moose that was 60 + inches wide. I was 20 yards from him while hunting deer on the extended. He was a great moose. I haven't seen one that even approaches his size in any unit in Utah. I think a regular hunter ended up shooting him, but that was just rumor, so I am not sure. The guide for the governors tag thought he would be the state recorded. Man what can happen to Moose herd in just 10 short years.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-13 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]Where on the Wasatch ? I hunt elk in the area on the west side of the road about 5 miles before Strawberry.. Is this in your unit. If so Last year there was a Bull that was near 45" (my guess) using a water source near my wife's ground blind . Also I have seen a few smaller Bulls there, in the last few years. Have seen quite a few over the hill on the Dippin Vat side. I think more hang out over on that side. A few years ago I had one fall in love with my Horse and follow us for about 2 miles,LOL.

Like the rest of the state, the Wasatch is down as far as moose numbers and quality, at least from what I have seen and heard.
A 40" Shiras moose is typically a very good bull. In my opinion, anything that is mature and approaching that size is a Wasatch shooter. I have not seen anything bigger than that in many years.

Two years ago we saw plenty of bulls over 40 inches...if you do your homework you should be able to harvest a nice bull!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom