WASATCH ELK

C

CALLEMN

HI I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO DRAW A WASATCH ELK TAG FROM THE HUNTING SHOW THIS YEAR AND HAVE BEEN OUT SCOUTING A TON AND HAVE FOUND SOME GREAT BULLS BUT I WAS TOLD THERE ARE A BUNCH OF GREAT BULLS UP IN AMERICAN FORK CANYON AND UP BY TIMPANOOKE BY TIMPANOGS BUT I DONT KNOW THAT AREA VERY WELL DOES ANYONE ON HERE NO MUCH ABOUT AMERICAN FORK CANYON AND THE ELK UP IN THERE? ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECTIATED. OR ABOUT ANY OTHER AREAS ON THE WASATCH AREA.

Callemn, I had the wasatch archery tag last year. I posted on here for some advice, the best bit I was given is if you find good bulls stay there, the wasatch is so large you can spread yourself too thin. If you have an area that is producing elk why change? Just my 2?. Good luck on a great tag!

very tough area. lots of steep timber. the bulls in there get big by staying in that rough area. i agree with bowhunterb_3. if you are onto some good bulls, stay on them. the good bulls in a.f. canyon already have babysitters.

Good luck getting in to Timpooneke... The road around the face is closed due to a rock slide. But there are good bulls up AF canyon if you know where to look.

The problem I have with that canyon is that it has turned into a freakin' amusement park. Everyone and their dogs, and their cats, and their horses, and their bikes, the list goes on, goes up there and you have to do a little bit of work to get out of their way.

That being said, once you do locate the elk, you will see some good bulls. I live fairly close to AF canyon and have spent countless hours up there, and seen a good amount of nice critters over the years.

However, as mentioned, if you have located elk, focus your efforts there and maybe use AF canyon as your backup (which is what I am doing).

I have a cabin in AF canyon and my married daughter has a Wasatch rifle tag. The canyon is such a zoo that we'll probably not hunt there. If the elk are in accessible areas there are probably 3 tag holders looking at each one (along with bikers, hikers, quads, motorcycles, sightseeing, buglers etc). The big bulls get big by AVOIDING all of that disturbance including the hunters. (read: look for them in the steep, deep and thick)
I agree with the other posters on their thoughts. If you've found bulls, hunt there. The unit is way too big to jump around like a fart in a skillet. Don't chase rummors, it will only waste your time and frustrate you.
If you hunt up AF canyon then good luck to you. There are a few good bull and a couple of them will be taken again this year.
Zeke

Newby,
Um, I would guess some of the other babysitters are a little uncomfortable with the talk about exact locations. Could be speaking for others.

There is another wasatch thread that is pretty hot right now. You may want to read it. :)

Alright thanks for the information. Any body have any pics of bulls killed of the wasatch in the years past or any scouting pics of elk off of the wasatch this year?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom