Warren's Idaho Ram

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Very nice ram. Tell us more, Warren.

4522c04d56641871.jpg

Thanks for posting, NVBighorn.

This area (42) is not known for high scoring rams, so the plan was to take the first mature ram we could find. We were walking around ten miles a day and glassing more than that, but could only turn up a few ewes and lambs. We hunted all day, and would ease along side canyons in the middle of the day, hoping to catch some bedded rams. We decided to hunt early on day four, then pack up and go to another area. I quickly found a group of twenty ewes and lambs on a bench in the main canyon. We went to the other side of a point, and Jon said, "I've got rams!" There were seven in all with five being shooters. Once the rams made it all the way to the bottom to drink out of the river, we made a move. We went a 1/2 mile to find a way down to the bench below us. By 2pm, we were on a point overlooking the rams. At 360 yards and 70 degree downward angle, I shot high. The ram turned uphill, so that I was looking down on its' back. I aimed just above the tail and he dropped out of the scope. After a scramble down a rock slide, two river crossings, and the long hike out, we were at camp at 10:30 pm.
Being from the South, all Western hunts are special. But having such a rare opportunity and being in remote, rugged country made this a hunt of a lifetime. Barker and crew did a great job with the hunting and making the trip a great adventure.

Warren,

Congradulations on a fine ram. I posted here earlier this month, but I wanted to state again what a fine job Jon Barker & his boys did for me in Idaho near Lewiston. They were a top notch group from top to bottom. This was a hunt of a lifetime that will be etched in my memory forever. Here's one more picture of Jon & I.

452335674152de88.jpg

2nd picture really shows how big he was!

I always here about steep angle shots and guys shooting high. I have it etched in my mind but I supect that when the time comes it will be hard for me to convince myself to aim LOW at a distant animal. A lifetime of flatland hunting will want me aiming high. I plan to have an optilogic rangefinder.

Don,
I thought I had the angle thing figured out too and I even practiced shooting at angles. But on my Wyoming bighorn hunt I missed a ram five times at over 400 yards even though the rifle was dead on at 300. My guide told me to hold on the top of the ram's back and that seemed reasonable, but the video shows me missing high on every shot. Fortunately, I connected on an even bigger ram two days later. There is a great article on the Grandslam Club's web page that explains all the physics.
Nice ram Warren. It sounds like you put in your dues, along with a good guide. Everyone talks highly of the Barkers.

Congrats Warren. I just saw your ram at my taxidermist's shop. That photo doesn't do it justice. Great Owyhee ram.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom