Warner Unit Lope Success!!!

O

OregonCoast

Thought I would share my '09 antelope success from the Warner Unit.......2nd season. This was my first antelope hunt and I had a blast. I scouted for a day and a half...........got my buck on day 3. I looked at a lot of respectable bucks but I was holding out for that magic #80. The buck I killed rough scored 78 but of course I am still very happy. Judging is definitely hard in the field. You can see height and prongs in the heat waves but what you cant see is mass. This was the tallest buck (off the head) that I saw in the area I hunted. Only 1 other buck had comparable mass and a few others had more curl but I liked this one. He was with 22 other does and he was chasing off all the other bucks. Made it that much more rewarding to be able to get close to him with all those eyes. I actually belly crawled to 399 yards of him on opening morning and missed twice. Day 3 I went back after him and nailed him first shot at 425 yards after another lengthy belly crawl in the wide open sage. My dad was with me and he had a tag as well. He ended up pulling the trigger on day 2 and got a 12.5 incher........he said he couldn't take it any longer. (ha ha)
Thanks to all of you who gave me advice in one way or another.

sunrise over Hart Mtn. the morning of my harvest.
WarnerAntelope095.jpg

15 1/2 Tall.
WarnerAntelope092.jpg

5 1/4 inch Prongs. 6 1/2 Base.
WarnerAntelope094.jpg

WarnerAntelope093.jpg

WarnerAntelope091.jpg

Thanks, Mark.

GREAT JOB! thats a heck of a goat that i'd be happy to shoot! sounds like you and your dad had a good time. how many points did it take you to draw the tag? congrats again and thatnks for posting

Thanks K.B.......we each had 10 points. 11 points was 100% to draw and only 14 people got in with 10 points.....(according to ODFW numbers). Mark.

That's an awesome antelope! Congratulations

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Back
Top Bottom