War on Coyotes

BeanMan

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-08 AT 11:47PM (MST)[p]I am declaring war on coyotes. One came into the yard tonight and almost killed Sparkey, My JRT. I was working on my bike in the garage when I heard him screech like never before, I ran out of the garage and saw a coyote had him by the neck and was shaking him. I screamed as loud as I could and launched down the hill throught the cactus and greasewood barefoot. The yote dropped Spark and regarded me for a moment before scuttling off. I was so shook I couldn't get the gun safe unlocked. The 06 is now propped up by the back door with two clips nearby. I'm going after them big time despite what the damn neighbors think. It's rural and legal amd I'm not out to scare them, I want scalps. Spark has four punctures on his neck, three on one side and one on the other. I'm still so pissed I can't sleep. I've been digging greasewood out of my feet for the last couple of hours. He's going to the vet first thing in the morning but at first light I'm going to be sitting in the brush on the hill behind the house. We don't have kids and Spark is my Boy.
DeclarationofWar.jpg

One angry Beanman

go gett'em bean, them treacherous bastrds......not being insensitive but the look on sparky's face is really giving me a chuckle.

Wait till Larry hears...he's be headed to CO.

Hope he is alright, I'm sure he is.....I have a rat terrier that is my buddy...so I understand why you're so pissed.

JB

Kick some ass Seabass!!

Seriously - kill as many of the mangy buggers as you can. They are evidently very bold and not afraid of you at all so they need to be dealt with. The '06 will do you well! Do you have a .22-250 or a .223 too?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

"The '06 will do you well! Do you have a .22-250 or a .223 too?".

Not yet, I'm thinking 25.06, utility and firepower. What do you think the ultimate coyote killer is? Keep in mind I'm not interested in pelts, just scalps.

BeanMan

under 70 yards, a remington sp10 10 guage with extra full choke shooting #1 buck.....beyond 70 yards any high powered rifle that you can hit a coyote with.

JB

Sorry about your little buddy.

I been at war with these 'yotes all my life.

Two things can happen when you shoot coyotes. You can kill them dead or you can wound them and they will heal up and come back.

A wound in a leg with an '06 will possibly result in a 3 legged predator....which are still very effecient.

A wound in the leg with something doing 4000 fps is ultimately fatal. Hi Speed bullets cause trauma to the entire dog, and while they may run away....they just die tired. A body hit in ANY spot on them will be instantly fatal

I recommend the .204. If you don't want to make a big investment, buy one of the New England Firearms versions. They are basically junk, but they are very accurate and durable. Single shot. Add a cheap scope and you are in business. A lot quieter than a big bore and you can see exactly where you hit due to zero recoil. About $250 for the whole package.

If you still want to use the '06, get some Remington Excellerators....55 grain saboted bullet doing close to 4000. You'll get good scalps with these......they pretty much automatically skin whatever they hit.

WARNING: Shooting coyotes is addictive. Not recommended for people opposed to having fun in the off season.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-08 AT 03:53AM (MST)[p]
Sparkey looks a little shaken in that pic! sorry i had to, and i do hope he is ok.
I shoot alot of yotes with a 17 rem, if you have home's near by, this little gun is the ticket! low muzzle blast and you dont have to worry too much about a rokochet(sp?) with a 20 grainer going 4400 fps! this is not one of the rimfire 17's, it is a centerfire, but it may be hard to find one.

Hey Beanman... I hope you kill everyone of those miserable bastards... I F'n hate em.. Nickman was right about shooting their legs. I shot one on my buddies ranch and all but shot the left ftont leg off and I'll be damned if he not only survived but he either chewed his leg off or it fell off BUT.. you would not believe how fast that SOB could run on 3 legs. My buddy finally killed him about 2 months later. He was tough to get on because as soon as he saw the truck he was hookin em for the brush.

Your little buddy looks a little shook up but I'm certain he will be fine. Is he up on his rabie and other shots? Hope so.
People here in my neighborhood that let their cats out at night don't have them for long.. Yotes get em everytime.

Jim

Nickman,

I have a NEF Handi rifle in .22 Hornet. I figure it's max effectvie range on a yote to be about 150 yards. Maybe I'll have to get another barrel in 22-250. It's only a single shot though.

Spark is pretty stiff this morning, he just tried to shake as he does first thing in the morning and decided against it. Damn Yotes.

Beanman

You might want to also consider just buying a box or two of Hevishot's 'Dead Coyote' loads for a 12 ga. For inside of 75 yards, that stuff is incredibly lethal, better than buckshot. A buddy who's a warden has shot coyotes out to about 90 yards with it and had good results. You've got more pellets than buckshot, tigher patterns and each pellet is very heavy so it hits hard.

If you want to see a coyote get absolutely slammed to the ground, shoot one with this stuff at around 50 yards and watch him bounce after getting hit with about 30 pellets of this stuff.

Beanman - I like the .22-250 best but when you have a problem like this and all you want is to have them dead then use whatever rifle you have handy!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Any thing from a .17 to a .338 but the .17 is not very good in windy conditions. My coyote gun of choice is the .25 wssm, that thing really reaches out and touches them and has killed a mess of deer and goats..Good luck.

Fred,
Hope that you nail those damn pesty Yotes, give them a good dose of lead poisoning. If I was feeling better and gas wasn't so high, hell I would drive out there right now to help you out and then go Sabotage Paul Crawford's fishing trip over there right now and drink his beer. LOL

Hope that you nail them suckers.

Brian

Back from the Vet

Just got back from the vet. Got some antibiotics and pain meds for a day. The Doc had just finished patching up a Chihuahua that was much worse off from yotes.
Notice the rifles in the background.
DeclarationofWar001.jpg

Bean

RE: Back from the Vet

Sorry to hear about your dog. Shoot as many as you can.
You may want to think about setting some traps as well.

You can bet your bippy i'm going to be doing MY part in thinning them devil dogs, my .204 is deadly out to 400yds!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Got mine last night a block away from the house. Too bad it was with the Toyota truck. LOL

Glad to hear the poosch is ok. I hate them essobee coyotes too; Wifey and I were roofing last fall and had two of them walk in our yard during a short break. Got one with my .22mag, the other ran off.

I like using 130HPs out of my .300Winnie.

sorry about sparky i have been declaring war on them damn yotes for four years now the 223 does a great job on them last year i took out 19 dogs when the elk and deer hunt ends coyote fur goes flying

Those JRT's are funny dogs! They are dominant little buggers, I bet he was acting pretty tough till the coyote latched onto him! Sorry to hear about your dog though, I am glad there was no permanent damage, I run into coyotes all the time when I am hunting with my bird dogs, they rarely ever pay any attention to them. Keep an eye on the little guy.
CC

Beanman, as I've gotten a little older I don't have much appetite for killing critters just for the sake of killing. Some how those stinking coyotes never made it very far on the sympathy meter.

My weapon of choice is a MAK90 open sight equipped with a 30 round clip full of 7.62X39 hollow points. Hey, what can I say ... I'm a crappy shot ... I need lot's of ammo.

Glad Sparky is Ok! Tell him RUS will attempt to thin out the stinking 'yote population.

RUS

GLAD SPARKY IS OK!!!

TURKEY LOADS WORK TOO!!!

ME & MY BOY CALLED IN AS MANY PREDATORS AS WE DID TOMS!!!

MY NEW BLOW UP DECOY NOW LEAKS AIR DUE TO A DIRTY DOG SINKING HIS CANINES IN TO THE DECOY!!!

I LET THE AIR OUT OF HIM AT 8 YARDS THOUGH!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-08 AT 10:40PM (MST)[p]Poor Sparky. Ya know I don't mess with yotes. 25-06 or equivilent. Long shots wind big holes don't care for the hide. None of that Catch and Release BS. Shoot em in the foot and blows their leg off. Shoot em in the arse and it blows their nose off. I wonder how they taste barbacued?? I bet Eel knows he knows everything. 12 ga up close.

CAREFUL Manny!!!

Beefy MIGHT WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I heard that Coyotes taste exactly like they smell, Ooooooooooo, that stinks.

Bobcat, your turkey call must sound like a dying turkey, same as mine!

So far the only thing I've called in is a coyote. I didn't kill it though, I wasn't ready.:(

Nice tube top Manny!

Eel

Fred,

THANK YOU so much for posting pictures of
my boy. I'd of'been beside myself.....

And then some.....

Fred, I bet the Spark gave that SOB a run for
his money.

I wouldn't mess with Sparkey, and I outweigh him by
probably 180 pounds.

Fred, more of those 180 gr Partitions down range sir.

LRV

Larry,

Spent the last two nights sitting on the hill behind the house until dark, and an hour this morning, nothing to shoot at. Yet.

I imagine Spark did put up a fight but went I rounded the corner of the garage and saw what was going on it was pretty obvious that the coyote was going to win. For a missed heart beat I thought it was already over.

Fred

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom