Want to buy-Ford Diesel

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I'm in the market for a 2008 or newer Ford F250/350 Crew, Diesel. Prefer something with under 50,000 miles. Need to haul 27' 5th Wheel.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

DC

why Ford??? Buy a chev, you will be happier!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

"Cus I'm stupid and I like it.

And I forgot to mention, "no oil field trucks" and "cowboys drive dodges", so I guess dodges are out too.

DC

just remember if you go with like a 2011 you have to keep the urea full if it gets empty that darn ford will leave you stranded.

and with that 2008 model they had that twin turbo and they build with carbonnation. so be sure you get something with a warranty on it, cause you will for sure be taking it to the mecahnic and they have to tear the whole cab off to fix it.

thanks to 6.0 liter and the 6.4 ford mechanics stay in business.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-11 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]Never have worried about a heated tailgate. Where ever I sit will be heated.

After reading nfh's post, maybe I better drop back to a low mileage 03 and another 7.3.

By the way, that little show down at the arena last Sat. was outstanding. Add a dozen horses as good as those bulls and you could call it a Stampede. I'll go to another one of those.

DC

Had several Ford diesels and never had a problem with any of them. I would absolutely avoid the 6.0L diesel but other than that have no fears with any of them. would love to have a new one but the price tag is as much as a small house.

you couldnt go wrong with a 7.3. 6.0 are good motors when properly maintained and upgraded to get rid of some troublesome systems. 6.4s have gone a lot of miles and proved very reliable. dont worry about having problems with them but fuel mileage tends to suck. and as far as removing the cab, no big deal, takes about two hours for a good tech, a lot of guys pull them to work on the 6.0 and 7.3 as well. if you find a good deal on an 11 up get it, they are awesome. urea injection actually helped to keep the fuel mileage up because they could let the motor run and burn fuel then treat the exhaust rather than restricting what went into the cylinder. urea or diesel exhaust fluid is readily available at all auto parts stores and truckstops and most gas stations stock it as well. if you ad it at each oil change you shouldnt run out. i was a ford tech before returning to college and all i can really say is if you are a ford guy you will love any of their deisels. haters gonna hate, beware of all the jealous dlb's out there

Im old school 7.3.... But there sure are alot of newer SuperDuty Power Strokes on the road when you start looking for them. Darn good looking trucks.

I've owned chev, gmc, and fords over the years. I like them all. I bought a F250 7.3 in 2000 and have put 245,000 miles on it in 11 years. No major problems. I like the truck and intend to run it until it's done. The way it's running now I figure another 100,000 won't be out of the question but I'm getting ready to park this keyboard and headout to see North America, top to bottom and I don't want to have a truck with 300,000 miles on it break down somewhere north of Saskatoon or south of Fort Worth so am going to try to find one that's a little fresher.

I work for a school district and we've been putting CNG kits on school district vehicles for the last 5 years and we like the benefits. One of the CNG installers that works for us has agreed to put a kit on my diesel (off hours). I've watched his work and he's as good as anyone I've ever seen.

I figure if I can find a clean one with under 50,000 I can get enough miles out of it to get a return on the installation and enjoy the boost in hp.

Course, none of my schemes ever work out like I plan them so who knows were I'll end up. But I'm out looking.

Thanks for everyone's input, all worth knowing.

DC

Hey 2lumpy, hope you find a good one !!I have a 7.3 (only has 198,000 mi on this one)and I have been coast to coast and border to border many times with it. I'll be headed to NM in a few days to spend some time with my bro. then up to WY for some hunting, Northern AZ with the wife for a while then gotta be in SW Kansas to chase whitetail in nov. When you get the truck I hope you have as good a time as I've had on the road !! To me it's never been about the money, it's all about the adventure !! Have a good one.

>I'm in the market for a
>2008 or newer Ford F250/350
>Crew, Diesel. Prefer something
>with under 50,000 miles.
>Need to haul 27' 5th
>Wheel.
>
>Thanks for keeping an eye out
>for me.
>
>DC

Got an 08' f-350, King Ranch, 4x4, 6.4l, crew cab, leveling kit and 35" nittos trail grappler mt, sprayed on bedliner, Ranch Hand full replacement grill guard, back bumper and head ach rack, tool box, brand new high pressure injection pump (warranty),77k miles, absolutley loaded- $34750.firm (over 7k in extras)Color- White with gold bottom trim

all brands have there ups and downs. i mean you can get the 6.0 and 6.4 to run good but why spend all that money on a new truck then dump a lot more into to make yourself satsfied with it. and it seems to make a ford run good it cost a lot more then a dodge or chevy. i guess those diesel magazines are brainwashing me.

i would love a new truck but man these 2011 models getting 12 miles to gallon is just a joke and having problems all the time.

i told myself im running my 03 cummins as long as i can. you cant beat the 6 cylinder and for a couple grand i can add some mods to pushing the same horsepower numbers as the new trucks and im already there.

There's a 2002 four door long bed F350 with 7.3 in it for sale here where I live. It has 133,000 miles. Leather interior. They are asking $15,500. Barely broke in. Seems like good deal if you wanted that vintage and a long bed.

>There's a 2002 four door long
>bed F350 with 7.3 in
>it for sale here where
>I live. It has 133,000
>miles. Leather interior. They are
>asking $15,500. Barely broke in.
>Seems like good deal if
>you wanted that vintage and
>a long bed.

Nice timing plick.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I've got a '08 F350 crew cab diesel and I really like mine. Haven't had problem 1 with it. The carbon build up is taken care of with a burn off every so often and it pulls like no other. Hands down pulls better than the '07 Duramax I had. Chev doesn't back their warranty either and they teach their shop managers to find every excuse in the book not to fix what's wrong with it until it's coming out of your pocket. Then mysteriously they find something wrong with it. I had and '02 F350 crew cab diesel before I owned the Duramax. Don't know why I changed but I won't make that mistake again. Besides, Ford is the only automotive company that didn't become a subsidiary of the government.

It's always an adventure!!!

i am a ford dealer with several in this range.we are a small dealer and shoot it straight with no games played.you can call me at 859-609-9709.

I just bought a 2006 with the 6.0 in it...and I LOVE IT!!! I could not be more happy! I took it to a local guy here that is about the best Mechanic I know and he was VERY impressed with the shape it is in and what I got it for.

Everyone that is so afraid of the 6.0 is making it so that you can buy one for a GREAT price...just find one that has been taken care of and it is a great truck!

beware of that egr valve on that 6.0. can really leave you stranded.

the company i work for has a ford fleet. i had a 6.0 liter, first the number 5 injector went at 50,000 miles. not to much longer the turbo had some carbon problem, then the egr valve went out. but every week it was a new problem with it. our work had all 6.0 and 6.4 and every single truck made it to the shop more than once.

our new fleet of trucks are dodges, and were doing the delete kits on them and got a few duramaxes out on the road now. all running great. doing the delete kits i think was a major good expense to keep them out of the shop.

IF you live in an area that requires emission testing, don't screw yourself by putting a delete pipe in your new diesel.

Wise choice!
Buy a 2008-10 Ford. The 6.4 is a better motor than the 7.3. Makes a ton more power and has the capability to get better fuel economy w/DPF removed & tuned vs a tuned 7.3. Just don't use a "canned" tune such as Bully dog or Hypertech or anything like that. I chose Spartan simply because they ONLY write tunes for Ford Diesels & have a very good reputation.

I have an '08 6.4L, DPF Removed with Spartan Tuner. I run the 210HP towing tune all the time. My son just drove from Farmington, NM to 16A for his archery elk hunt & I told him to stop in Springerville, AZ and fill up. Get this... he filled it up with 12.6 gallons which hand calculates to 19.3 MPG!!! Truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab short bed. He wasn't towing anything, but probably had 8-900 lbs in the bed of the truck.

Do a search for Spartan diesel and read their forumn.

Stay away from Chevy/GMC. They have a lot more problems than Ford. Buddy of mine has a '08 GMC and had an '07 before this one and he has had lots of problems with both. He's a little hard headed & still thinks GM makes a better truck & I just keep helping him fix it! HAHA! What are friends for, right?!

The only good thing about a Dodge is the cummins, but Dodge trucks are just junk plain & simple. My company truck is a Dodge and only has 39k miles & has more rattles & squeaks than my 1978 Ford does!! Also, it's had to be in the shop several times for random stupid stuff.

19.3 is all She'll pull huh?

An older CUMMINS would SPANK your Fords Ass in Both power & Mileage section!

But Hey,19.3 on a Ford 6.4 that ain't bad,My BIL is getting 10 MPG on his 6.4,Nice truck but THIRSTY!

Amazing How Much THIRSTIER All New Ford,Chevy & Dodge Diesels are but by GAWD we are trying to conserve Energy in this Country,WAFJ!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 09:44PM (MST)[p]Thanks gentlemen. Every response has been insightful and helpful. I'm still looking, hoping that when a few more of the 2012's sell it will put a few more of the 2 to 4 year old units on the market.

Still want to stay under 50,000 miles, if at all possible, of course if it's got higher miles and the price is right, I would give it some thought. Still want to try the CNG system on it so I want to max. the return on that by trying to get another 200,000 miles plus out of it over the next 5/6 years.

Again, thanks for the advise, everyone is a good one.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]B-Bop, I'm surprised that Cummins engine doesn't just jump right outa that chasis. Outside of that engine, a Dodge is still a Dodge!;-) And the way I hear you Basinites drive, I'm surprised you have any doors left on that hunk-o-junk.:D

By the way, I'm only getting 11 mpg out of my 6.4 Ford. I don't suppose it has anything to do with the 6" lift and the 37" Toyos I have on there.;-)

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 08:27AM (MST)[p]check out diesel power magazine and see what info they have to offer.

if you do settle for a ford, be sure to get some good anti-gel. in the winter fords are famous for gelling up. there front end design and a little wind driving down the road they just seem to gel up. here in wyoming you go out on the road and fords are pulled off everywhere. and you barley see a dodge or chevy.

when i had my 6.0 work truck, i would have plugged in, have anti gel, but going to work as soon as i hit the intersate that damn thing would gel up.

B-Bop... An "old cummins" as you put it was a great motor - strong & good on fuel. HOWEVER my friend... I don't think he was wanting to purchase an "Old P.O.S. Dodge truck".

My dad & several of my friends are such big Cummins fans that they have been buying Dodge trucks just to get the Cummins for many years. Not one of those older Dodge trucks - Stock vs Stock OR with comparable mods could hold a candle to the amount of torque & horsepower that these new trucks are putting out. PERIOD.

We all have the right to our own opinions & the ability to spend our own hard earned money on whatever brand truck WE want. God bless America! We also have the right to give each other heck about choosing the "wrong" truck! :)

Yes my truck got 19.3 MPG and yes an old Cummins can get mid 20's. The difference is in Horsepower & Torque (not to mention a quality Ford truck vs POS Dodge). Prior to removing the DPF & installing the Spartan Tuner, my truck was running in the high 15's empty on the highway, 11 in town, & 8-9 towing at 75-80. Without the stupid DPF, I now have a truck that gets way better fuel economy, makes more power than anyone would ever need, plus it no longer goes into the regen mode and dumps fuel into the oil!! Just remember that every brand of truck from 08-10 will have a DPF & & regen cycle. The 2011's & on also have Urea, not something I personally want to deal with.

Gotta love the liberals/Enviro's/Government for forcing truck mfg's to build stupid crap into their trucks!

Unless this "old Cummins" you refer to is heavily modified, it won't stand a chance against the 6.4, or even a newer duramaximus brokimus. Been there done that. It's really funny when I spank a new camaro or Mustang between street lights!

If I was planning on towing a horse trailer to ropin's all over the country like I used to, an older cummins with a 5 or even 6 speed manual behind it would be a pretty good choice. Just don't take that truck off the asphalt on a hunt!

Well 1FastGambler!

I ain't gonna argue with you all night!

Got one Question I need Answered?

I know You're Perty proud of your Ford & should be!

Can you Break em at 65 MPH on Dry Pavement?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 04:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 04:32?PM (MST)

It's really funny
>when I spank a new
>camaro or Mustang between street
>lights!

got to love smoking new mustangs and camaros on the street and those darn rice burners or import, whatever those things are.

i love smoking camaros and mustangs with my cummins with a few mods....

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]>Well 1FastGambler!
>
>I ain't gonna argue with you
>all night!
>
>Got one Question I need Answered?
>
>
>I know You're Perty proud of
>your Ford & should be!
>
>
>Can you Break em at 65
>MPH on Dry Pavement?
>
>
>
>For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids
>on this Site,Some of them
>are 65 years Old!:D
>
>I don't care if they're big
>or small!
>If they throw lead I like
>em all!
>
>:p

Yes, but I don't really want to do it again! Roads around here are a little too narrow!

Can I borrow your tires to show you? ;-)

So?

You can honestly break em at 65 MPH?

Yes sir, all that's needed is to turn off the traction control, load the 275 tune and mash the skinny pedal.

The Spartan 275 tune is just stupid with how much power it puts to the ground.

If your Ford will Break Em at 65 I respect that Rig!

A few years Back,Tuning & Tampering with a CUMMINS I'd of never believed it if I hadn't been Driving it that any Pick-Up could Twist Em at 65 on Dry Roads,GEEZUS!

I heard the ole Dodge make Noise I'd never heard before!

When they got enough TORQUE it TWISTS the whole Truck you know you've got some POWER under the Hood!

I honestly didn't think a Ford was able!:D

>Yes sir, all that's needed is
>to turn off the traction
>control, load the 275 tune
>and mash the skinny pedal.
>
>
>The Spartan 275 tune is just
>stupid with how much power
>it puts to the ground.
>
>
>

spartan is a good ford tune. to bad they didnt make a smarty for ford like they do cummins.
but a good tuner is ppe, ppe can make a diesel come alive. i have lots of mods that made my truck really go, but my buddys duramax im afraid to admit he just had his ppe hot and a tranny upgrade and he killed me.

you really dont want to run a ppe unless you have mods to prevent a tranny going out or head studs.

Got a PPE on my DURA-MAXI-PAD right now!

Got it on 2nd power level!

I'm Perty Sure turned clear up I could Scatter the Allison!

Biggest Problem I can see with the MAXI-PAD is how Quick it'll create HEAT!

I like USEABLE Power!

Unlike the PUNKS on Main Street on Friday & Saturday Nights where they're on opening the Throttle for an 1/8 of a Mile Max!

Gotta Keep Em Cool Boys!

>Got a PPE on my DURA-MAXI-PAD
>right now!
>
>Got it on 2nd power level!
>
>
>I'm Perty Sure turned clear up
>I could Scatter the Allison!
>
>
>Biggest Problem I can see with
>the MAXI-PAD is how Quick
>it'll create HEAT!
>
>I like USEABLE Power!
>
>Unlike the PUNKS on Main Street
>on Friday & Saturday Nights
>where they're on opening the
>Throttle for an 1/8 of
>a Mile Max!
>
>Gotta Keep Em Cool Boys!
>
>
they sure do run hot, that is where a smarty comes in handy. keeps the egts down. with a ppe you almost gots to run water-meth...

This MAXI-PAD is a THIRSTY SOB TOO!

>Wise choice!
>Buy a 2008-10 Ford. The 6.4
>is a better motor than
>the 7.3. Makes a ton
>more power and has the
>capability to get better fuel
>economy w/DPF removed & tuned
>vs a tuned 7.3. Just
>don't use a "canned" tune
>such as Bully dog or
>Hypertech or anything like that.
>I chose Spartan simply because
>they ONLY write tunes for
>Ford Diesels & have a
>very good reputation.
>
>I have an '08 6.4L, DPF
>Removed with Spartan Tuner. I
>run the 210HP towing tune
>all the time. My son
>just drove from Farmington, NM
>to 16A for his archery
>elk hunt & I told
>him to stop in Springerville,
>AZ and fill up. Get
>this... he filled it up
>with 12.6 gallons which hand
>calculates to 19.3 MPG!!! Truck
>is a 3/4 ton 4x4
>crew cab short bed. He
>wasn't towing anything, but probably
>had 8-900 lbs in the
>bed of the truck.
>
>Do a search for Spartan diesel
>and read their forumn.
>
>Stay away from Chevy/GMC. They have
>a lot more problems than
>Ford. Buddy of mine has
>a '08 GMC and had
>an '07 before this one
>and he has had lots
>of problems with both. He's
>a little hard headed &
>still thinks GM makes a
>better truck & I just
>keep helping him fix it!
>HAHA! What are friends for,
>right?!
>
>The only good thing about a
>Dodge is the cummins, but
>Dodge trucks are just junk
>plain & simple. My company
>truck is a Dodge and
>only has 39k miles &
>has more rattles & squeaks
>than my 1978 Ford does!!
>Also, it's had to be
>in the shop several times
>for random stupid stuff.
>
>
>

I'll assume your talking about my GMC's? Just curious what all problems I have had? The only one I ever remember having was a fan clutch. Did you help me fix something else that I don't remember? I'll also assume were talking about the same ford you have now? The one you were getting ready to sell before modifying? The one that would stay in regen mode for hours on end and run hotter than the hubs of hates? The one that got less mileage than my GM even when you were pulling 2000# of wheelers and I was pulling 11000# of fifth wheel.

I will admit your truck runs pretty good now, but how much did all your mods cost. How happy were you with it beforehand? What about all of your earlier talk about going back to a 7.3? AND then you claim it will break lose at 65 on dry pavement????????? I know this can't be the same truck! If it is you have to bring that sumbeech over to the house this weekend! This is something I need to see to believe.

So bulls1?

You gonna make him Prove it?(Break Em at 65 MPH!)

My Signature Has Once Again Disturbed the PUZZZIES that can't handle the Truth & Continuously Have to Find something to Bittch about so don't Scroll down any further than this or You'll see where I mentioned "FOR GAWDS Sakes"!
---------------------------------

Oh lord here we go! Chevy lovers trying to defend their choice of trucks!

I didn't intend to call you out about the GM problems you had with your last two trucks, but since you asked, yes sir, I was referring to your trucks. Tranny leaks, faulty sensors, & overheating issues which led to the fan replacement.

When you bring up the less mileage your comparing your tuned truck to my stock truck. Not a truely fair comparison, but I will admit that the duramaximus brokimus in stock form vs a powerstroke in stock form does get a little better fuel economy.
I'll also admit that a stock duramaximus brokimus will probably win a drag race vs a stock powerstroke.

I'll be happy to bring my truck over, but this time you DO NOT get to drive unless we put your tires on my truck!!

The last time you drove my truck you forced me to buy new tires much sooner than I was planning on. I remember saying, "whatever you do, DON'T floor it". Did you listen? Heck no! (not that I truly expceted you to! haha!) I also remember the big silly grin on your face & you saying something like, "holy ##### man"!

If you're willing to put your tires on my truck.... sign me up! Only I get to drive this time... you scared the hell out of me!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-11 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]Forgot to respond to me wanting to get rid of my 08. Yes that is absolutely true because of the stupid DPF & regen emissions BS.

I'll explain for everyone...
For those who are unaware.. The emissions systems on 2008-2010 Fords & Chevys use a DPF- Diesel Particulate Filter to capture the black soot in the exhaust. There are pressure sensors on each side of of this DPF that once they detect a set variance in pressure due to the DPF becoming clogged up the computer starts to dump excess fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke so that this excess fuel will reach the DPF, ignited and burn off the soot into small enough particles so that they will pass thru the filter. This makes the little old ladies & the faggot EPA retards happy because they don't see any "black smoke".

The major issues with the above system is the fact that we're wasting fuel, some of it will make it into the crankcase which dilutes the engine oil, causes premature wear, etc.

Here's the kicker that sent me over the edge...

If the regen mode starts 3 times without ever getting to finish, the truck will go into a reduced power mode until it can finish.

The regen mode will not start until the truck is running over 40 mph. Due to where I live my truck would often start the regen mode a mile from my house. Unless I wanted to drive around for no reason other than just to let it finish, I would have to keep track of how many times it did this to make sure that it could finish before going into the reduced power mode.

That is why I had serious considerations about selling it and getting an older Ford with a 7.3... no emissions BS to deal with.

I did a lot of research and decided to keep my 08 and remove the DPF and get a Spartan tuned. I am very happy with this decision and wish I would have done it when the truck was new.

So, to not make this a complete post hyjack, I strongly recomend to the original questions to go ahead & buy a '08-10 Ford. If you live & drive far enough each day, you probably won't even notice the truck going into regen mode & will be happy with it. My issue & frustration with it was because I only live less than 3 miles from work which isn't far enough for the regen mode to finish.

Besides... The only things I've had to replace on my 2008 Ford are the windshield wipers & tires, but I'm sure that my buddy Bulls1 will still come back with another reason that chebbys are better... ;-)

Disclaimer: Everything I have written about removing emissions equipment on my truck was strictly used for off highway racing purposes only!

Ropinfool. "Heated tailgate" Thats frickin funny right there, never heard that. Thanks for the giggle

>Oh lord here we go! Chevy
>lovers trying to defend their
>choice of trucks!
>
>I didn't intend to call you
>out about the GM problems
>you had with your last
>two trucks, but since you
>asked, yes sir, I was
>referring to your trucks. Tranny
>leaks, faulty sensors, & overheating
>issues which led to the
>fan replacement.
>
>When you bring up the less
>mileage your comparing your tuned
>truck to my stock truck.
>Not a truely fair comparison,
>but I will admit that
>the duramaximus brokimus in stock
>form vs a powerstroke in
>stock form does get a
>little better fuel economy.
>I'll also admit that a stock
>duramaximus brokimus will probably win
>a drag race vs a
>stock powerstroke.
>
>I'll be happy to bring my
>truck over, but this time
>you DO NOT get to
>drive unless we put your
>tires on my truck!!
>
>The last time you drove my
>truck you forced me to
>buy new tires much sooner
>than I was planning on.
>I remember saying, "whatever you
>do, DON'T floor it". Did
>you listen? Heck no! (not
>that I truly expceted you
>to! haha!) I also remember
>the big silly grin on
>your face & you saying
>something like, "holy ##### man"!
>
>
>If you're willing to put your
>tires on my truck.... sign
>me up! Only I get
>to drive this time... you
>scared the hell out of
>me!

This is good stuff right here! First off I didn't realize we were counting problems I've had that were covered under warranty. ( A warranty that goes to 100,000 compared to 30,000) OK if I've had three issues with my GM's and that is what you consider alot of problems, Then I've had lots of problems.
Second off, don't come over to your best friends house, hand him your keys, say OMG you have to drive this truck to believe how strong it is, and then cry about 1/32 of rubber off your tires.
Third, You still really expect people to believe you can break it loose at 65 on dry pavement? We can argue Ford vs Chevy for years, ( we have already proven that hehe) but I have to see this 65 mph burnout. As far as swapping tires you know as well as I do that they won't bolt up, plus mine are 17's and yours are 18's? You know that one little burnout (if it would do it) is nothing compared to the abuse that 17YO of yours has put on em. Hell we can mic them before and after and I'll pay for the rubber we take off. As far as who is going to be driving, its all you buddy I don't want any excuses about the driver. Besides that I want to be sitting in the passenger seat with the video camera ( we want to be able to post the proof for BBop don't you know). What say you? We both know where there is a stretch of road above my house that we should be able to pull this off without killing ourselves or putting anyone else in harms way.

Out of curiosity how much is the cng kit? What are some numbers on the power/fuel economy gains?

Not dumb enough to try a ford, tried a dodge and got 14 mpg empty no load handling SOB with 9mpg pulling.

My duramax is an all around awesome truck does everything I ask it to with ease.

Different strokes for different folks, some people just like spending more money on ford....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

buy a dodge or chevy least they got real diesel engines and not a gas engine with diesel gettin pushed through it!!!!!!! diesels pistons go up and down wannabes go angled sideways.... plus you cant beat an engine that is put in tanks big rigs tractors everything never have seen a stroker in anything but a ford... but i gues ford does have one thing down... the problem is circled on the grill
$MAVERICK$

juster, the CNG is not a kit but parts from various suppliers, depending on what we need. Parts will run me about $3000, labor would be free but I'll make sure he gets a thousand or two for his time.

Won't matter if I go with the Ford, as planned or a Chev, the plan will be the same, I will install the CNG system, I like the results and I've monitored the pay back on the school district's vehicles.

I won't purchase a Dodge, I've been around Dodge products for 64 years, same story today as it has been since 1947. Great drive line, junk body, and stiff suspension. I have not problem with others likes and dislikes, glad for the free market competition, it makes them all better. Buy them and enjoy them, but I'll go a different route. Doesn't make Dodge owners any less competent or less bright. I wear Wranglers because I like the way the fit and their cheaper than Levi's but not everyone's butt feels like mine. At least that's what my wife tells me.

Thanks again for the banter, good stuff, I'm still looking.

DC

hey there maverick, just so you are aware, chevy duramax is a v8. pistons go at a 45 degree angle from the ground. 90 degrees from each other. dodge is the only one running a straight 6, and cummins has built several experimental motors in the last ten years, most of them have been v6 or v8. v design motors have become more and more popular because they have less vibration and more response when compared to a inline of the same displacement. inlines produce more torque but they vibrate more, thats why chevy who prides themselves on being the most refined and smoothest overall pickup went with a v8. and as far as runnin diesel through a gas motor, the only company who ever converted a gasser to diesel was gm. ford diesels from 1983-2010 were built by international-navistar they were medium duty diesel engines always, never ran on gas although occasionally when powering school buses or garbage trucks they were ran on natural gas. 2010-12 are built in house by ford and share very little with the previous international engines and share a total of zero parts with a gas motor. i figured i should tell you before you opened your mouth and sounded really dumb....oops too late

Hey 2lumpy if you will wait a year or two I will sell you one of mine. We usually trade a few every year. Mine and my wifes are both 2012 powerstrokes with 8" lifts, 38" tires, fender flares, bull bars with kc light, lariat, loaded with moon roofs and all. The way I do it is to get the number from the dealer on what they will give me for a trade then I call friends and family and see if they want the truck before the dealership gives it to me with no lube.

From 2003 to 2008 we were tradin about 6 diesels a year. We were trading back and forth between chevys, dodges, and fords. The fords 6.0 egr valves kept crapping out and stranding us, then the injectors all had problems and so on and so forth. The dodges beds would fall off if the oilfield equipment we had in the back shifted too far to the side. we lost several 5,000 lb valves that way. In addition the dodges transmission never once held up with an over weight trailer being pulled down a wash board road at high speeds. then the chevys lack a solid front axle and flat out turn into rattling death traps after about 30k miles in these oil field roads. Chevys were the worst trucks I bought for the last 5 years and I'm now done with them. I just traded in 4 2011 chevys with the vortex max gas engine and 4x4 loaded. Got $10,000 each for them and I know dern good and well they were worth far more beings they were in great shape and had lesss than 50k on them.

Now I'm settling on ford scorpion diesels. They take everything I throw at them (and I assure you I test these trucks hard) and then some. My rig pusher was just handed my last 2012 superduty 4 door lariat with a lift kit and rims. I will be upgrading his truck for sure by end of next year. I reckon the trucks trade in value will be around $25,000 and have about 75k miles on it if your interested. Just email me and let me know. and yes these trucks are in dang good shape regardless of how rough I am on them. At the end of the day I nurse all my little scorpion babys back to health lol

We'll talk boss! I'm flexible and the why my old Ford hauled my trailer up to my moose camp last week I'm still okay for a while. Just want to get something before I get serious about hitting the highway next year.

DC

$MAVERICK$well desert deer that is the whole point a v8is a gas engine i was not sayin they were literally takin an f150an putting diesel in it but the v8 and v6 are both gas engines first an the whole ooint of a diesel is for work not cute smooth rides thats why the inline 6 cummins is the best engine out there ill never buy a ford or gmc cause i aint got a sour ass an can take a little vibration just my opinion an you dont gotta get all whiney baby over it all this is a puvlic forum and people can post their own opinions if not guess im not in ameriva anymore

maverick, this is america and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, however you said that gm uses an inline motor rather than a a v8. that is not an opinion, i would not criticize someones opinion but if someone makes a wrong statement i have no qualms correcting it. also you suggested that ford ran diesel fuel through a gas motor and that is also false. a gas engine is a gas engine and a diesel engine is a diesel engine. there are major differences in them from the way they fuel, the way they run, the way they are built, point is a diesel engine is a whole different animal from a gas engine. a v8 is not a gas engine and a i6 is not a diesel engine. gas is gas diesel is diesel. also you stated that a stroker is only found in fords, thats true to a point. ford owns the powerstroke name so when international navistar uses it in other applications they call it another name. the 7.3 powerstroke is the t444e which is found in medium duty delivery trucks, ups trucks, tow trucks, buses, dump trucks, and lots of other applications. the 6.0 powerstroke is the vt365 found in the same applications. the 6.4 powerstroke is called the maxxforce7 and is found in all of the same chassis and application as the other two.

a little bit of knowledge mixed with lots of opinion can make some people very ignorant

welcome back to america, thanks for playing along

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom