want-to-be sheep hunter

H

HFbckhntr

I have been reading the hunting forums on Monster Muleys for a long time, but this is the first time I have posted a message. I have always wanted to hunt sheep, but have shied away from the sport because it is so expensive. Well, if I am ever going to hunt sheep, I better start putting in for tags now. I'm 47 and I may only get one shot at it before I can no longer nagivate the mountains any more. Can you offer any suggestions on how to get started? Dall sheep are at the top of my list, but way out of my price range. What can I expect to pay to hunt bighorn sheep? I prefer bowhunting, but I enjoy rifle hunting also. I live in the north east, so any place I hunt sheep will be on a non resident tag. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yep - it will be a long shot for sure. Start putting in as many states as you can. Buy a few raffle tickets and cross your fingers. In the meantime save your pennies and if you don't draw go to AK and hunt a dall. Its not cheap...but your best option.

Good luck...

Sheep hunting is a dream for most of us regardless of when we started to apply. While you are behind in the game, you still have a chance. I have one bighorn to my credit because I got in on the ground floor of the bonus point system in Wyoming. You are a very long shot in states that keep bonus points, which is most states. Idaho and New Mexico don't have bonus systems so apply there for bighorns. (NM is 3K up front to apply, but you get it back if you don't draw). Deserts in the US are all on bonus point draws (except NM), but every year some lucky hunter draws with minimal points. A Dall is your best bet because you can buy a Dall hunt, but expect 12-20 K for a hunt, depending on where you choose. AK is the cheapest place, but beware of cheap hunts because they usually mean you are hunting sheep where numbers and quality are low. Stones, well they just cost the same as a nice new truck! Good luck!

montana would be a good state there is a bonus point system but you can still draw with o or max bonus points my wife drew with 3 last year.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will look at the units that are easier to draw and start building bonus points. In the mean time, I can still hunt deer every year and hope I get lucky in the sheep draws. Are there archery only sheep areas were the odds of drawing a tag might be better?

Don't forget about the MT Unlimited sheep units. Good news is you will get a sheep tag first try if apply and are 3 or 4 hunt units can apply in.

The bad news is the hunts include brutal wilderness areas and hard to find rams that are usually small. You also have to stop hunting once the kill quota is met for your unit.

But....if really want to sheep hunt you can be onthe mountain this year!

. Are
>there archery only sheep areas
>were the odds of drawing
>a tag might be better?
>

As far as I know, CO is the only state that has a set aside of sheep tags for bow. In other states you can draw a tag and choose to us a bow however. In CO you need to apply 3 years before you are even eligible to draw a tag. I personally think they have better "odds" than most other states because of the way their draw is conducted.

Good Luck!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

In AZ you have the same chance at drawing a tag as somebody with max points. Every year I hear or know of somebody who drew a tag with less than 5 points. The problem is in AZ you have to put all the money up for the tag and license. The tag is refundable but the license isn't. I drew a tag in Az my second year ever putting in.

Maybe there is a chance for this old goat to draw a sheep tag before I can't nagivate the mountains anymore. Thanks for the great suggestions and ideas. I knew I came to the right place. Good luck in the draws this year.

Don't overlook putting in for Mountain Goats. They are sometimes called the poor man's sheep, and you really start hunting them where the sheep stop. I recommend that you put in for as many states as possible for sheep. Idaho has probably the best chance of drawing for a sheep. Good luck.
WyMo

I know just how you feel. About 8 years ago I got the same feeling and began putting in for tags-haven't drawn yet but I just know it will happen one day.

Meantime,I started a hidden "sheep account" and had saved enough to book a Fannin hunt in the Yukon in 2006. Took beautiful Fannin and it was the experience of a lifetime!Seems like sheep hunts are increasing in cost by leaps and bounds(that same hunt I took in 2006 is almost twice as much today) but I am still saving for another hunt one day.

I think Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado have the best odds (but you must build up 3 points in Colorado before you are eligible to draw). Wyoming allocates 25% of its tags to the random draw so you have a chance from your very first year.

Good Luck!

At least I have some hope now. I have started browsing fish & game web sites of western states with sheep seasons to try and understand the laws. What do you think about the services that apply for tags for you like Cabelas?

With this economy, the cost of sheep hunts will come down.

I was at the WSF show in SLC, and spoke with an outfitter from Alaska with a Brooks Range Dall sheep hunt. He said the price was $18K.

I told him that $18K for a Brooks Dall was hard to stomach, given that only a few years ago that same hunt went for $8K to $10K.

He said, "I know... I've been hearing a lot of that lately".

The stock market is back down to 1997 price levels. I'm not saying that sheep hunts are going back to 1997 prices, but they sure won't stay at 2007/2008 prices either.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-09 AT 06:55PM (MST)[p]I wouldn't use Cabelas. Garth Carter from the Huntin' Fool Magazine would be a safer bet. For $100 a year they provide annual reports and dead line dates and application service. They provide a good service.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom