Wanna be hog hunter advise

foundation

Very Active Member
I'm looking for some advice and information on hog hunting in California . I have never hunted or even seen wild hogs before , but I have wanted to hunt them for some time . My girlfriend is allergic to corn and corn by products so that makes buying pork from the store out of the question . So we figured we booth like hunting and wild hogs should be corn free ( depending on where we end up hunting ) .

So from my research it sounds like private land is the way to go . As a non resident the license is around $ 150 and the tags are $ 70 .

A couple of questions I have are what is a fair or normal fee for a trespass hunt , and what is the best way for a guy to find a area that allows trespass fee type hunts . I guess a follow up to that question would be does a first time hog hunter need a guide to find hogs ?

So can a hunter shoot as many hogs as he has tags for ? Also what are the best size for eating , and would winter time be the best hunting time if we are looking for good meat .

So this would be a hunt for me and my girlfriend , and since we would be driving from Utah we would like to make it fun hunting adventure with the chance at getting a freezer full of pork .

I would welcome any suggestions or things I need to think about .

Thank you .

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-10 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]As far as a trespass fee to hunt hogs.....ain't gonna happen. You are coming to California where we have lawyers! LOL! Gonna need to hire an outfitter. I'd suggest areas around Parkfield or I'd look up near Red Bluff. I think those two areas have a large population of hogs. I would hunt with a guy named Marty Rovenstein....not sure if he still guides. we'd go out of San Miguel. I'd say the best eaters are the > than 100 pounders. I wanna say you can only shoot 2 per day but don't quote me on that. I beleive you can look around and find hunts as cheap as $400 but typically I think you'll be paying closer to $500. The time of year only dictates where the hogs will be. If there are no acorns, they'll be down near the fields. If there are acorns they'll hang in the hills. This is true in Parkfield anyway...not sure about Red Bluff. I hope this helps. Heres a decent size hog I shot in my area on the Central Coast. He was in the fields and I shot him at night on a depredation permit.

70img_1332.jpg

Steve
I got put in time out for a bad signature! Sorry Founder...

Wow , just saw the picture . That looks like a real brute . How would one that size be for eating , or is that better for sausage ?

He might have been decent eating for the simple fact that he was eating broccoli and lettuce. I don't particularly like wild pig so every one I shoot I have sausage made out of the whole thing. Breakfast, hot italian, sweet italian sausages are what I have made. This hog I shot at night but was not able to find him until the next morning as he found his way to this gulley they use to get from point A to point B. Notice that he's stiff as a board. The nights here get cold enough that the meat was fine. Good luck! They are tough as hell so a well placed bullet is a must.

Steve
I got put in time out for a bad signature! Sorry Founder...

Foundation: A guide is the only way to go in CA for hogs as they have access to a lot of private ranches. Find one that will get you on private property as the coastal forests and BLM land are pounded by hunters. There is good hog hunting throughout the coastal and northern lower ranges. Since you are traveling a long distance setting up a guide trip will get you the hunting experience your looking for as well as the best chance at a hog if you only have a few days to hunt.

I think the pig harvast in CA is now only one pig per day per person. Best eating is in the 100-150lb range. Depends what you are looking for so tell the outfitter when you discuss booking a hunt. There are ranches that you can go for a big trophy russian boar to mount a head(not good eating)or there are places where you can get the "mixed boar/ domesticated pig gone wild" that are the best eating.

Lower mountains throughout CA hold good pig numbers. Chech the CA DFG. Website at dfg.ca.gov for specific regulations, fees, and type of ammo restrictions as hunters can not use lead based bullets in the Condor's ranges which is mostly Central and Southern CA. If you don't want to deal with the hassel of non-lead bullets stay north of the San Francisco Bay Area when choosing a hunting location. When on the CA DFG website type in "guides" in the search box upper right corner of the page. This will give you a list of all licensed guides in CA and the specific type of game or fish as well as address so you can choose a specific general area near where you wish to hunt.

If you make the trip to CA be sure to take in South Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountains. This area is as beautiful as anywhere on earth, access is off HWY I-80 or CA HWY 50. If you hunt the north near the towns of Red Bluff,Corning,Willows, Willits,Marysville etc. you won't be disappointed, good quanities of pigs, rolling hills, grass more open country, The coastal mountain range of Sonoma, Mendocino Counties have good numbers of pigs but more steep country with trees and timber on some ranches. Also, check out the maps and drive from upper Northern CA to along the coast on CA HWY-1 very scenic views of mountains/cliffs/paciic ocean down to and accross the Golden Gate Bridge.

Have a great trip,
Good Hunting,

))).....>

Trophyhunter thanks for the information , all of it is very good . I have never been in Northern Cali. so I will have to plan the trip with enough time for some sight seeing .

Look up Perry Creamans (sp) he's a guide out of Redding. He used to post on here a little, dont know if he still does but a quick google search should turn him up.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Foundation, If you do decide to hunt the North state, you'll probably come thru Reno, Susanville, our little Mountain town of Chester, then on down the hill on 36 to Red Bluff.

Your help and Map helping my pard and i with our Wyoming hunt last Year was way over the top. Because so, i'd really like to be able to help you with getting in a great pig hunt but even though i don't live too far from them, they haven't been a priority and i'm not up on the game. Still though, stop by if you come this way, i'd like to shake your hand in thanks and take you out to a meal if you have the time!!

Joey

Sageadvice , I would take you up on that offer for sure . It's allways nice to meet fellow hunters . This hunt is still in the early planning stages , but I'm trying to plan a trip for the same area to pick up a high performance motor for my play truck . The motor is stored some where in that same area , so I'll keep you in mind when I can get over that way . Thanks

That would be great! Just give me a heads up!

I've killed a few pigs and might suggest, if it can fit your schedule, that you come in the early to mid spring(Mar-April). The country and foothills closer to the Valley, where the pigs are, is breathtakingly beautiful for a hunt setting but, IMO, especially so during that time of year.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom