Wall Tent Questions

M

muley727

I was recently Given a near new Montana canvas 12x14 wall tent. I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help with. I need a stove and an angle kit for the frame. any suggestions or places to stay away from? was looking at the Cylinder stove (Hunter) and many places carry the Angles. Also any ideas on patching a small Tear on the sidewall? Thanks for any help

Ordered our angle kit from the wall tent shop and they are very good quality.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have one of those stoves but have the outfitter. I use mine year round and even times during the winter. Depending on how and when your going to use the setup the hunter might be a tad small.
My angles came from Davis wall tent. Not sure on where you are located but there could be a local place that could sew on a patch for you. In salt lake I have used kirkhams to see and fix deals on Davis tents.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the angles from wall tent shop, glad they are of good quality.

I live in the arizona desert and will probably only use it in the high country once in a while but would rather buy the right stove the first time.

Make your own frame for about $100. I welded up some brackets with 2" square tubing to make the angles then use 2x2's between them.

As far as stove, we use propane heaters. much easier, faster, less hassle and no worries about your tent burning down. Instant high heat and also cools in just a couple minutes so you don't have to worry about putting the fire out when you leave or waiting for it to cool so you don't come back to a pile of ashes...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Mntman- what kind of propane heater do you use? and how many nights would you get from a 5 Gal. Tank? I have one of those Buddy heaters that ive never used, won it at a banquet.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-13 AT 02:39PM (MST)[p] I use a buddy heater also to take the chill off during the morning. Just a couple of weeks ago on the deer hunt I thought it was soo hot during the day I wasn't going to set the stove up and just use the buddy heater. I had a way cold night and needless to say the next night I had the stove set up.
I don't trust very much and I won't sleep with the buddy heater on so I'm not sure if it would helped to leave it on all night. On some spring bear hunts we have used two big buddy heaters that keeps things comfortable but one thing to keep in my mind is those propane heaters put moisture in the air and a week of bear hunting you get damp sleeping bags and any clothes left in the tent.
nothing better than stove heat to dry things out and keep things nice and toasty but that's just from my experience and the places I hunt

I like Sims stoves cause they fold up. Kinda handy when you pack in 17 miles on horses.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-13 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]We have one of the single mr.heaters that screws onto a tank and one of the red and black ones (not sure of BTU's but it is near 8k) that has a oxygen sensor on it. We leave the one with sensor on low all night, keeps it reasonable in the tent. Even in low teens for temp at night.

In the morning we turn both on high for about 15 minutes and then back them off to low/medium and its like a sauna in the tent! I eventually have to turn them both off once I am dressed for the day.
We have outdoor carpeting that we lay down and walk around bare-foot.
The 3 tanks last us for 5 days easily in mid october colorado weather.
Our tent is 14x17. 1 heater could do it but not quite as comfortable. In a smaller tent one heater probably would be fine, especially if it was one of those double Mr. Heaters that has higher output.

Here is a pic of the inside of the tent. Don't mind us goofy looking guys in the pic :)
You can see the brackets I welded and we just insert the 2x2's into them. We set the frame up first then push the tent over the top with a couple of push sticks (spare 2x2's). Do it by myself about every other year (set-up).
7676444.jpg

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

As for the tear, Montana Canvas sent me piece of canvas and some glue that I used to repair a hole in the roof after a thunderstorm uprooted my tent and sent it rolling across my comp spot onto a T-post. The repair kit worked very well. Just cut the repair patch several inches in each dimension larger than the hole, and remember to cement both pieces of canvas. I happen also to have a cylinder stove, but don't recall which model ("hunter" sounds right). It does a great job of keeping the place warm. I have not, however, been happy with the chimney system, which becomes loose when the tent flaps in high winds.

Thanks guys for all the replies and help. I like the 2x2 system you made mntmn. I am really excited to try this tent out, as I have wanted one for many years. Here where I live we camp without tents just cots most of the time, but use tents when we go north and the regular tents just dont cut it with me and three kids with cots.

I just got back from a Nevada elk hunt, and we used a buddy's 11x17' Montana Canvas tent, along with a 10'x10' 'easy up' canopy. That pairing works great! There were three of us, and we used a wood stove as well as a Mr. Heater buddy. Temps got as low as around 14 degrees, and they worked great. The stove often went out even though we'd stoke it several times each night as cedar and juniper is lousy wood stove fuel. Next time, I'm gonna bring some seasoned Almond or Walnut from home.

There were three of us, and this combination worked so well that I now want to buy one of my own.

One thing I might add is to consider getting your tent made from Realite, which is a much lighter material than regular, flame resistant treated canvas. The tent we used was HEAVY!

One other thing, if you're burning cedar and juniper, clean your spark arrester every other day or so. Ours plugged up with soot so bad that we had smoke leaking through the pipe after about the 4th night. Once we scrubbed the screen, all was well again, though everything in our tent smelled of wood smoke after that little debacle.

Realite doesn't breath worth chit, that's why they leave the roof canvas on tents made with it. It's a gimmick if you ask me. I'd buy a Cylinder or Four Dogs stove, metal angles from Quick Camp online, and cut 1" electrical conduit for the frame.

A buddy of mine burned a big hole in the roof of his Davis tent and he spoke to the guys from Davis at the SLC Expo about repairing it and they gave him a big chunk of canvas and told him to use clear silicone to bond it to his tent.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-13 AT 11:45PM (MST)[p]14x16 Kirkham's/AAA, 14x16 Davis, and a few pictures to set the mood.

k3_zps3098a943.jpg
[/URL]

k2_zps8dd2a77d.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_20130818_133729_035_zpsf1e6e1d2.jpg
[/URL]

elk1-1.jpg
[/URL]

846719cb-5029-43d0-b61a-6e1e9cae09db_zpsa99fb36d.jpg
[/URL]

antelope2.jpg
[/URL]

antelope3.jpg
[/URL]

Great photos Foreman. thanks.

I ended up getting the angles and a Cylinder stove from wall tent shop. Going to build the frame and do a pre burn on the stove this weekend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom