wall tent for alaska?

smitty

Very Active Member
Looking for a lighter-weight wall tent or something comparable for a drop camp in Alaska. We will be flown in and have a 12 day moose/caribou/black bear/wolf hunt. Would like to take as nice a tent as possible for comfort, but we will have weight restrictions. Any suggestions?

no sir, I'm thinking we can take a small propane heater if needed. We are concerned with the weight primarily.

never heard of any outfit that has a weight restriction of over 200lbs to allow the transport of a wall tent and heaters...
The highest I seen was 125lbs. they have since lowered it to 100.

I wouldn't even consider bringing a wall tent, no where near worth the extra cost/time.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

A real wall tent is big and heavy. I was thinking of one of the Cabela's alaknak . It would still be a little big to travel with. You would almost have to buy it there and leave it . Does the outfitter have one you could barrow? It seems like the would have something you could use for a few days.

Take a look at this.

http://barneyssports.com/tents/frontier-gear-of-alaska-bombshelter-8x8.html

I have hunted Alaska 3 times. Being cold has not been an issue so I am not sure about the need for a heater. Rain has been the issue and every time I sure wish we had something more than a 2 man back pack style tent. Just so that I could sit up rather than having to laydown while waiting out a storm. I have never been so tired of laying down than I have been while hunting in Alaska. I would forget the heater and bring a small chair instead.

Good luck on your hunt.

The standard tent for years in Alaska has been the Cabelas Alaskan Guide model. The 6 man model is perfect for two people using cots. It weighs about 30 pounds, is completely water and bug proof, and will stand up to high winds.
A wall tent is a terrible idea if the bugs are out, as they almost always are on early season hunts. You will go crazy if they are after you in your sleep - the day can be bad enough. Also, you must expect to be wet, constantly. A Canvas wall tent is the wrong way to go.
If you want true luxury, the Cabelas 8 man tent is big enough for three cots and gear, and is about 7 feet tall inside. Quite a nice setup and only about 40 pounds, give or take.
Bill

Guys, what about a Cabelas Out Back Lodge? Can't stand the wind?

I use mine exclusively horseback and have had 22" of snow on it one time. I think my 12X12 weights in the neighborhood of 26 lbs, the 10X10 about 5 lbs less. It comes in a bag made of the same material as the tent and the 12X12 is about 26" long and probably another 24" in circumference including floor liner.

It does have "vents" that avoid condensation but might allow "no-see-ums" in?

Just asking.

Mulecreek posted the tent you want. They also make a 10x10 version if you want something a little bigger and don't mind the cost.

Whatever type tent you buy just make sure you coat it with a generous amount of bacon grease so it sheds water...

2311idiot.jpg

Is wind expected? If so then comfort takes a back seat to surviving high winds.

Look at Nallo brand as a high wind, low weight option. Are thee options infusing North Face domes.

Good luck.

I live, hunt, fish and work in Alaska. Where I live in the Kodiak islands, it rains 63% of the days in a year. That's nearly two-thirds of the year. Plan on the rain/fog being so bad that you'll spend one-third of your hunt stuck in your tent. Comfort and dryness is important. Get the Cabelas 6 man guide tent with the vestibule. It has enough room for two and all your junk and at 32 lbs it's fairly light. Forget the cots and bring a small chair to sit in. Honest.
One more thing, you said you guys are chubby. Alaska is going to kill you. I don't know if you've hunted muskeg and the boggy sh!t caribou often live in but it's damn tough to get around in. If you hunt terrain like Afognak island where I live, the mountains are steep and the alders, devil's club and tall bushes will tear at your clothes, pack and gun with every step. It makes the going tough. Get in the best shape you can buddy. You'll look better for your success pictures too!

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom