Vortex Viper HD vs Razor HD vs Leupold LSX-3 Spotting Scopes

N

nockednlocked

The scopes are all 20-60 with either 80 or 85 mm objectives. I am looking for some help on what to go with between the three spotting scopes in the title. Sounds like the Viper HD has some great ratings on here and was curious what upgrades you get for stepping up to the Razor HD for about twice the price? I have also been very loyal to Leupold in the past and their new LSX-3 spotting scopes looks to be pretty nice but really can find much review info on it, it is running at about the same price as the Razor. Any help would be much appreciated on this.

I haven't really looked through any of them (except for the razor), so I may not be an expert to answer the question optics wise. In my experience with spotting scopes I started by buying a "bargain scope" (Vortex Skyline ED) which was a good scope and was what I could afford at the time. Like I said it was a good scope, but I was always left wondering what a nicer scope would be like. Maybe you have heard the saying pay once cry once. This couldn't be any more true. You usually get what you pay for with optics. I have a hard time comparing optics (ex. I had a $100 pair of bino's and a $500 pair of binos. Initially I couldn't tell much of a difference side by side, but after using the $500 pair for a period of time I could no longer stand to use the $100 pair b/c of the difference). I decided to sell the scope I had and just save up to get the nicest that was out there. I ended up buying a swarovski 65hd, it was used but I got it for the same price as a new razor would have cost. I no longer sit and wonder about this scope or that scope questioning what I bought because I really love what I have.

To answer your question, out of those three I would buy the razor. I know nothing about the leupold scope, but the razor is the top of the line of Vortex's optics. I've looked at them in the store's and they are nice, plus you won't have to sit and ponder on your purchase. I'm sure all three are nice scopes I am just using my personal experience to answer the question, IMHO.

X2 on the Razor. I have it and have taken some great pics and video through it. It is in the "Alpha" category, and with any Alpha glass you will not be disappointed.

}}-SLIVER-->

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to go look at them this week and decide between straight and angled, I am leaning towards the Razor but still undecided on if I should go straight or angled. I am use to the straight but the angled looks to have a lot of advantages for out in the field. If any of you have an angled, how is it using it out of the truck window mount?

I have had two strait model scopes and my Razor is the angled. I will never go back to a strait. The only time the angled suffers is when looking at steep downhill angles.

}}-SLIVER-->

Thanks SLIVER, I am going tonight to look and then hopefully pull the trigger on the Razor.

I have tried both of the Vortex Scopes... If you can afford it, I'd go with the Razor. I shoot a lot of video through my Razor and its VERY clear. I would go with an angled as well. I like sitting in my truck and not having to look 90 degrees to see out the window. It takes some getting use to, but it is worth it! You'll love the Razor!

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom