Vortex Skyline ED

UGAhunter

I just got a Vortex Skyline ED last week. The best I can say about the scope is it is OK. I have noticed two problems with it to date 1) the field of view is not clear throughout and is blurry around half of the outer edge and 2) when zooming to higher power, I lose a lot of field of view when the eye relief is set for glasses. If I take my glasses off, I can see the full view.

Anyone have these same problems, or should I contact Vortex to exlorer the thought that I might have a lemon scope?

Thanks for any thoughts.

This really concerns me because I have had my eye on that scope since I got my Vortex binos. Love the binos! The quality is fantastic and sure hope you get the scope figured out and I would love to hear what they say. Please let me know.

UGAhunter,

Something just doesn't sound right there. Although there is a very slight decrease in resolution towards the edge of field, it should be quite minor. What magnification are you viewing at ? All spotting scopes will show some loss of resolution at higher powers, and of course this becomes most noticeable at the field edge. The ED Skylines really do quite well for their price; believe me, I've viewed through about everything out there (see my intro on recent Viper bino post). If you have any doubts, send it in to us ASAP & we'll get things quickly figured out for you.

Now, the eye relief thing sounds about right. Using eyeglasses, be sure to collapse the eyecup. Even then, you're still going to lose some FOV, especially at higher powers. Just one of those rotten things about eyeglasses. Plan on using your spotting scope in the middle ranges - 25-45 power. This will help you, and really is the "sweet spot" on most spotting scopes anyway.

Paul @ Vortex Optics

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom