Vortex Razor HD vs Vortex Viper HD

SLIVER

Very Active Member
I am in the market for new bino's and I am having trouble deciding between these two. Everything I can see says that they are the same glass. Vortex's website states that the Razor has preimum HD glass and the Viper has HD glass. Is there anything optically different between the two? Same coatings, same rating. If there isn't then the Viper HD would be a no brainer as it is $600 cheaper than the Razor. I do like the feel of the Razor better, but I don't know about $600 better. It will be a 10x42

Thanks for your expertise.

))--SLIVER-->

Well, I have a Razor HD. I have looked at, but not used the Viper HD. I owned an original Viper 10x42 for several years as well.

First, the HD is simply marketer speak for buy me. It doesn't say anything about glass quality, or coatings either for that matter. The new Viper HD is a little brighter than the original one, and has better edge of the field performance, so the sweet spot in the Viper HD seems a little wider.

What you will get for the $600 is better glass and coatings. You also get a wider field of view and a binocular in the Razor HD that has a little better resolution, and I think better contrast and a little easier to look at view.

If the $600 is significant to you, then I would say the Viper HD should be a terrific glass. From what I have seen, I'd have no problem if it was the glass I had to go hunting with. My original Viper always did the job and the HD is demonstrable somewhat better than the original.

Before you purchase the viper's I would look at the Zen Rays. I feel they are better (more clear) for the dollar. If you can afford the Razors they would be your best bet. I bought a pair of 8x42 Vipers as beater/brush bino's (to save my Leica 10x50's). For the price I was not worried about getting them scratched. A friend got the Zen Rays. I like the feel of the viper's better, but I feel the clarity of the Zen Rays are better. For areas that I do more still hunting and brush busting either will do. When in areas where I will be glassing a lot I take the Leicas.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom