Vortex PST

GLEDEASY

Have thought for a long time about getting one. The FFP warrants $200 more than the normal SSP.

I would like to get one with FFP, as it would be that much more tactical. Wanted to hear what people had to say with having first focal point out in the hunting field. Any clear cut advantages with the feature? My thoughts are that it may only come in handy when the shot gets out to 2-300+ yards and feel like it would be better to do a quick holdover rather than dialing the turret. I've been battling in my mind whether the extra cash is worth it.

Now on to mrad vs. moa. What do you like about the one compared to the other? Does it just come down to using what you are more accustomed to, which in my case would be moa.

My dad has a Swarovski TDS reticle in a FFP model and what that means is that the reticle appears to get larger as you crank the magnification up. Said another way the reticle grows as the target grows. Sounds great at first because the reticle works at all magnifications, but on use it actually makes your crosshairs really fat at higher magnification.

Not a huge deal, cause my dad had no problem shooting a sheep with one shot at 530yards with it.

No brainer...MOA, at this point I could never program my brain to do mrad, but your right its just what your accustomed to. I don't range with mils or any of that crazy stuff. That is why we have rangefinders, they are much more accurate anyways.

If you're only planning on shooting 2-300 yds then don't even bother with a tactical scope. But their HS series. You don't need FFP for such short ranges.

That being said, FFP is THE way to go for dynamic in the field situations and rifle shoots alike. For example, I was able to engage steel targets at 385, 475, and 600 and put 2 rounds on each from two different positions (total 12 rounds, with a blind magazine) in under 90 seconds with running in between stages by using reticle holdovers and I was able to adjust magnification without having to worry about my holdovers still staying true.

Also was in a situation two years ago where we spine shot a buck at 666 yds and he was on his front legs 'running' downhill. My partner tried to back me up and was hitting about 6' too low. He was using a SFP scope and forgot to turn it to the appropriate power.

After putting over 1k rounds through my PST (6-24x) ffp I will never go back to SFP for anything over 400-500 yds.

Mike

Thanks for the help/info. I decided to go with the FFP in MOA.

Now just need to get out on the range and get acquianted with it.

Yeah, I received it. Haven't had the chance to mount and shoot with it yet though. That being said I am really liking a lot about it so far.

I have a FFP PST on my 338 Lapua Mag and other than ranging, I don't see an advantage for it. I will not buy another. I will save the $150 and get the SFP from here forward. I like the smaller reticle at max magnification and once you learn the values, its just as easy. I dial in my adjustments and it works just fine out to 1100 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom