Vortex 85MM HD Spotting Scope Pic

P

Prism

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 09:30PM (MST)[p]For those of you that have asked for a sneak peak at the new Vortex spotting scope here you go. I was lucky to use one this past fall on several hunts. This scope is as good and in most cases better than scopes costing over a grand more (I know because I spent hours side by side with other "highend" scopes in the field)! It's amazing what the extra 5MM of objective lense will give during low light conditions over an 80MM at higher magnification. Seriously this is about as good as it gets!

DSCN1772.jpg

VORTEX INTRODUCES THEIR PREMIUM-PERFORMANCE
RAZOR HD SPOTTING SCOPE

Vortex Optics? new Razor HD 20-60x85 Spotting Scope delivers a level of optical quality, resolution and color fidelity previously available only in scopes costing twice the price. With a MSRP of $2,000 (and an anticipated street price of $1,600), the new Vortex is packed with the same optical technologies and performance features as the most prestigious European brands. Built in Japan, the Razor HD features sophisticated triple apochromatic objective lens, with two elements precision-ground from high-definition (HD) optical glass. The result is an almost total elimination of chromatic aberration across the entire field of view, so there's no ?fringing?, degradation of resolution, or dilution of color fidelity at longer viewing distances. The Razor HD is also designed and constructed to achieve its diffraction limit, the theoretical maximum resolution obtainable relative to the size of its objective lens. Combined with an oversized 85mm objective, the Razor HD provides an unusally bright, crisp view with accurate color reproduction in even the dimmest light of dusk and dawn. Other performance features include a die-cast magnesium alloy body with full body armor for strength and light weight, and 100% waterproof/dustproof/fog proof construction purged with argon gas to prevent internal fogging and corrosion. All exterior lenses are protected by ArmorTek, an ultra hard, scratch resistant fluorine compound that repels oil, dirt and corrosive salts of fingerprints. Rugged internal focusing is achieved with a fast and precise dual-focus feature.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]Another pic. It's a sharp looking spotter.

DSCN1773.jpg

There will also be a digital SLR adapter available this spring.

Vortex006.jpg

Any idea when this will be hitting the streets? I would love to take a peek through it, and compare it to some of the other high end spotters. Any idea on weight, length etc.

Toad23,

It should be in stores by mid spring. You will be able to check it out at the consumer shows coming up-like SCI, the Expo in SLC, RMEF, etc...

Here's the specs for you.

? Fully multi-coated optics with ArmorTek.
? Triple apochromatic objective lens with Dual HD Elements.
? Achieves diffraction limit with 85mm objective lens.
? 20x-60x zoom eyepiece included (30X eyepiece available as option)
? Compact, die-cast magnesium-alloy body.
? Waterproof, fog proof with argon gas purging, shockproof.
? Dual focus with coarse and fine adjustment.
? Angled eyepiece and rotating body.
? Comes complete with spotting scope, eyepiece and custom carrying case.

Angled body
SPECIFICATIONS
20 - 60x Magnification
65.7 oz Weight
15.25? Length
16.4? Close Focus
20-18 mm Eye Relief Adjustment
117-60? / 22-1.0? Field of View @1000 Yards/Degrees
85mm Objective Diameter

Daryll,

All of Vortex Optics are covered by the best warranty in the industry-an unlimted, unconditional warranty. We will do everthing we can to make sure our customers are happy. I spent nearly a decade with what many would consider the premier optics company in the world. I can assure you that I don't receive any more warranty issues with Vortex than I did with the prior company. Vortex's customer service is among the best in the industry, and the best I've personally worked with.

Please feel free to come and discuss any concerns or problems you have with me at the show in SLC. If you're not attending the show please contact me via pm or email and I'll meet you in person anywhere in Utah to discuss any issues you've personally had with any Vortex product.

Look forward to meeting with you. Paul Kendall

Paul, the next time you come up
to see The Harrow boys, bring one
up and we will go look at some
bucks through it.

Thanks Troy !

Did you actually carry that hunk of near 70 oz. glass in a pack with a pod all fall? If you did I gotta hand it to you.

Also, not to go off topic, but how do the 15-60 binocs compare to the Swaros? I have asked Kody W. to check in with you and hopefully bring a pair on down for me to look through next time he sees you.

I met you at the SLC convention last year, but I doubt you would even have a clue who I am. Thanks for the good advise and working with a good product.

Porter

I did indeed pack the scope most of the fall-65.7oz. ;-) There were a few trips that I packed the Nomad instead. I definitely put a few miles on the big scope on Dutton. The nice thing about it is that it's fairly short and compact so it fits into most packs and leaves plenty of room for other gear. The extra 5mm obj lense is worth its weight in low light and at higher powers.

I've found that as much as I hate packing a bunch of glass around, I hate not having it even more.

I don't have any field experience with the new 15x56 binos, but I do know we'll have some for guys to look at during the SLC show. I'm hoping to get a pair for shed hunting this spring and then I can spend some time comparing them with others.

Since Minox dropped their big 15X there really isn't much else out there for a decent price. I thought the Minox was a really good glass for the money and was surprised they quit making them.

Everything I'm hearing from Vortex's comparison tests and engineers is that it's going to be really hard for guys to justify spending a grand more for the other big 15X.

I tried packing around the ungodly weighty 82mm Nikon ED along with a 4.5lb. Manfrotto and finally after 3 trips I was done! The 40 plus aged back and knees said no more! Back to the 50 mm Nikon ED. That is a great scope for being lightweight, but when you are used to big and bright, I just couldn't take that anymore either! I am working on the Swaro 65 as the compromise. Good so far including the late season elk hunts.

What ever happened to the small ED scope that Vortex had in the pipeline and was to deliver the goods on last May or so? I never heard where that project went.

BTW, been passing around the glassing DVD, good work on that. Fun to watch and it has helped my techniques and those I hunt with.

Looking forward to seeing those new 15X56 and the BIg, Bad, spotter!

Hello Paul,

I am interested in comparing the new Razor and the Skyline ED spotting scopes. Any shows coming up in the SLC area? If you have access to the two I am in the Heber Valley and would like to compare. What is your opinion in the field comparing the two scopes?

Thanks for your help

LAST EDITED ON May-05-09 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-05-09 AT 01:44?PM (MST)

Not to start a pissing match here, but I think Vortex made a huge mistake by offering only an angled version, as many people prefer straight. Are there plans to offer a straight version? I would certainly like to look through one though, as I'm in the market right now. Is that 15.5" length with the eyepiece attached? Also, is the eyepiece a standard 1.25" version (for interchangability), or something else?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom