Vintage Fishing Tackle

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I recently had a friend of a friend visit and he went away with about $900. worth of old fishing baits, a small portion of what i had collected thru the years. I hated to give up some of that stuff but he offered good money, something i have less of than old semi-precious junk.

If any of you think that you might have something valuable and might want an opinion, i probably can give you a pretty good idea if it's collectable and what it might be worth on the market.

For example, i just saw this listed at well over $1,000.
9808bee_lure.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Can't Imagine paying 7500.00 for some Old JUNKY Lure but they do!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I have a primo rod and reel at the bottom of Buffalo Bill Reservoir that maybe valuable in about 100 years, May even still have the fish and lure on the end of the line....LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-14 AT 04:53PM (MST)[p]Kilbuc, i'll need a bit more info on the rod and reel if i'm to properly estimate what it might be worth in 100 years. :)

As far as Rods, the old Brown Fenwicks that are still in their original sock and tube in Excellent condition are finally coming up in price to what i've thought they are worth. So many were made, only those near mint cond are worth the high dollars but some/most of these old trout rods, both fly and spin, are tough to find under $100 and are getting listed a 2-$300.

Reels? The old Medalist fly reels are in demand, smaller the better and a guy can't go wrong taking good care of that long ago put away in favor of new, Mitchell 308.

Here is a typical collectable one might find put away or in the bottom of an old tackle box. It is a Heddon Basser in it's really nice original box. It's not mine but i found it listed at $200.
7449basser.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have a minature BUDWEISER CAN with treble hooks, wonder how much I can get for it? Hey, where is Paul Crawford, maybe he will bite and take it off my hands????

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I've got one too kilo!

And wondered the same thing:

What would PC Pay?:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LOL, those Bud Beer lures get around, mostly because there were untold thousands made. A novelty lure, worth about a 18 pack of cold ones if in mint-excellent condition.

If i were still active in buying, i just found this neat old Reel Box combo from South Bend, i'd pick this up. The price reflects the fact that these reels are common. IMO, the Box to the reel is what this deal is all about. Having this old set sitting up on a shelf in your man cave would just be way nice!
686fly_reel_and_box.jpg

Joey

So Sage, what do you consider "old"? I've got an older brown Fenwick that's still in the original plastic wrapping. Still have the sock and tube. Wonder what that's worth?

What is old? In the tackle trade, most stuff a guy sees would be classified as vintage. That generally would cover items going back to the 20's or 30's, before that they would be described more as antiques, all the way up thru the 60's. Fenwick Rods from the 60's and 70's, most of what i have, are also vintage and now becoming highly collectable...especially those described like yours, near new in sock and tube.

Different models bring higher prices than others. The one's they made the fewest of or are the most unusual, bring the best price. I have several 4 and 5 piece old Fenwick pack rods that i really like. Do a search on E-Bay for "Fenwick Fishing", there will be many examples listed for sale to get a better idea what your rod might be worth.

A rod like this, i have the exact rod, i bought for about $60. and paid a fair price for it at the time, maybe 10 years ago. Now look at what this guy is asking for his. Way too much IMO, but it is what it is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FEN...560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338e13e108

Joey

Hey sage?

Did NVB ever send you that Tackle He Promised?

Cool stuff sage I inherited my Great Grandfathers tackle box I'd better take a look. (he was born in 1884)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]Bess, he was just yanking my chain. :)

Trix, Thanks! I really love the older stuff but can/could only afford to collect the "newer" stuff. My oldest lure was made in 1910, a Emmel Chippewa bait, worth about $300. looks like this one.
7301my_bait.jpg

Below, This is the Friend, his website and rather famous among the collecting world, of a Friend that came and bought some things from me. His best Bud is a good friend and fishing Pard of mine. Check out his stuff...Awesome collections!!

http://www.antiquelures.com/

Joey

I have one of those old south bend fly reels and an old penn trolling reel in the box from 1934 also a bunch of old lures and bamboo fishing poles my Grandfather and Uncle left me. not sure what they are worth

1953, It is surprising to a lot of folks that their old stuff is not worth what they hoped it would be. Many times, the stuff like you described is worth far more to you as a memento of past Family members than it would ever bring if you were interested in selling. I'm not saying that your stuff isn't valuable but chances are, you aren't sitting on a gold mine.

On those Bamboo fly rods, there are more than several early USA makers whose wares demand big bucks but there were even more Co,'s that imported mass produced rods that are no where near the same quality. It's all about the rods condition and just who has their name signed at its base.

Check out those old tackle boxes and if you can post up a group pic of anything you might wonder about, i'll give you what i know.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom