Veterans's Day teachable moment

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Today our local radio station was playing patriotic songs all day long.

I work with a Mexican who was illegal at one time (I guess he's legal now?)

He was talking to two of his Mexican friends, in Spanish of course. That has always rubbed me the wrong way. I like the guy. He's a hard worker, and a good guy really.

The radio station was playing "I'm Proud To Be An American"

I walked up to them and asked "Why did you three come to the United States?"

All three said "to work and make a better life for themselves and their families" (in broken English of course).

I said "WRONG! You came here because the people here believe in Freedom, Liberty, and Justice and are willing and happy to die for it. You and your Country don't! That's why you're here, and don't ever forget it. From now on, everytime you see a person in military uniform, go up and thank them! Without them the United States wouldn't be worth comming to!"

All three said "OK Abulito" (Grandpa):)

Eel

I had a similar experience today, a mexican guy I work with asked me why today was a holiday and I told him because it's Veteran's Day and without them you wouldn't want to be here over your own country and went on to explain it was only the most important holiday of the year!

Great guy but sad he and MANY others don't understand the importance of the holiday and MORE IMPORTANTLY the men and women, heroes all, that it commemorates!

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I attended our veteran's memorial service and noticed that almost all of those in attendance were ole peckerwoods like me. Since we don't have the draft anymore, I don't see alot of the young folks at veteran events. Maybe it is just my observation but I wonder what will happen when the ole guys die. I am not blasting those that haven't served in the service but do they really see the importance of acknowledging those that gave of their time to serve their country.

Wildsage

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom