Veterans Day

jodog

Very Active Member
A big thank you to all the vets. today and everyday !!!
Like the song says ...your out there on the front lines so we can sleep in peace tonight. THANK YOU !!

>A big thank you to all
>the vets. today and everyday
>!!!
>Like the song says ...your out
>there on the front lines
>so we can sleep in
>peace tonight. THANK YOU !!
>

+1!!!!

I'll be calling my father today, like EVERY Veteran's Day. He flew in B-17s over Europe in World War II, and he's my hero!

All vets and current soldiers are heros!!!

S.

:)

You have to love a country where so many men and women were willing to sacrifice all so we could have a day off. :)

Kidding of course. Thank you to all vets past and present!

Stanley, I bet your Dad has some interesting tales of those days.

Happy Vets day to all my brothers and sisters out there! If you see a Veteran today, a simple thank you is all they want!

Sgt Mike Adkins(IRR)
1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co
2003-2007

Semper Fidelis

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Good for you & yours life2extreme!! Thank you for your service!!!

NVbighorn, dad's stories are the best. I've heard lots of them MANY times over the years, but only because I have probed him to talk about it over & over! ;-) He was a 20 year old navigator, and lived it ALL over there. 28 missions, flak, fighters, shot-down (not captured), D-day mission, little British hotties, etc.! ;-)

Heros!

S.

Stanley, that's great. Write those stories down while you still can for future generations.

My late uncle was Army in the Pacific during WWII. Took part in a lot of the major island campaigns. Was seriously wounded on Okinawa. His tank was hit and everyone that got out was mowed down by machine gun fire. He was the only survivor from his tank after having another tank come straddle him and pull him up through the floor hatch. He was hit multiple times on his left side arm and leg. Ended up losing the leg and his left arm was fused at the elbow. He lived another 29 years and I am very fortunate that he recorded some of his war stories for us when he found out he had terminal cancer. He never really talked much about it so after he was gone and I listened to his stories it was a rather humbling experience. I have all his medals including his purple heart proudly displayed in my office to this day.

Thank you to all the vets out there!

Wow!! Awesome stuff NV!! Goose bumps for sure!!!

My dad has a scrap book with great pics & stories. He's also got his Flying Cross & other medals, his 8th AF patches, etc. He's also got some wild stories. Gunners & others on planes he was flying in were killed during missions he was on (nasty flak). MANY close calls. Catch-22, etc....

Again, they're all heros! And many of them just kids! As I said, my dad was ust 20 years old and there were (and are) many younger! I was jerking it and trying to kill a forkie buck when I was 20 years old, and these guys are doing THIS?!?!?! ;-) Amazing!!

S.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-09 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]Thanks to all the vets! Last Sunday several of the motorcycle clubs in our area had a veterans celebration/ride. Part of that was held at the veterans section of our local cemetary. I made a point of being there when they came rolling in. Very impressive and very loud. Almost 200 bikes. I joined them for their service, even though I don't ride. I was very impressed.

Stanly, and NV those are great memories to be cherished. I made my dad sit down over a two day period and I video recorded the accounts of his time in WWII. He landed on Utah beach and was at the outskirts of Berlin when it ended. He was an engineer. He died almost a year ago but his memory will live on.

My uncle flew 33 missions on a B-24 as a gunner in the CBI theater. They brought his plane back to the States. Here is a link. I told him to go to the museum and tell them you need to climb back up in there and get your cigarette lighter you left behind.:)

http://www.b24bestweb.com/shootyourecovered-r3.htm

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

My late Aunt's second husband was a Survivor of the BATAAN DEATH MARCH. I tried to get Warren to talk to me on a few occasion's but he just said to me, sorry Brian I just can't and don't want to remember what we went through. And most of the survivors are the same way.

It is like that with a lot of service personnel who were in any war or conflict, don't want to remember.
One of my classmates in our home town was in VN when I was there and I ran into him one day while taking care of personal matters in Saigon. I called out to him and we talked for about 15 minutes and then both left, had to get back to HDqts.
In 2000 when I put together our 40th class reunion, he came to it late, but I spoke with him about our meet in VN. His reply was "sorry Brian, that part of my life is and has been shut out for a long time". He was a Chaplain's Assistant was all he would tell me.

This day is hard for a lot of folks who have lost a love one who was in the service for our country. In fact, I will be having dinner tonight with a friends son who is home right now from Afghan. He leaves again in a week to head back over to Germany first then on to Afghan to meet up with his group of Special Forces and do what they were trained to do, all Snipers and good at it too.

God Bless them ALL,

Brian

Eel and Stanley, When I was a kid I read every WWII book I could get my hands on especially those about the airplanes. I had most of those planes as models including B24 and B17. Loved that stuff.

I forgot to mention that my uncle was also given the dubious honor and often arduous task of being my godfather. When he passed away I was given the folded American flag that draped his coffin and later my Mom gave me his medals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom