Very lucky and unlucky

mozey

Long Time Member
All in the same hour. Dropped this bull for the lucky part. Not a monster by any stretch, but I was solo and very happy with him. Started the cut down his backbone and my knife slipped and got me within the first couple minutes. Cut some tendons and going to have to have surgery.

IMG_20241022_072514_777~2.jpg

IMG_20241022_213807.jpg

Why it’s important to come prepared with a good first aid kit in the field. Congrats on the bull
Yup. I ended up wrapping it with Leuko tape to stop the bleeding and then finished caping and cutting up the bull gutless method. My friend got there just as I finished him up. That's where they took over so that I could get to the ER. Turns out I cut through two tendons (middle and ring fingers). I'm stitched up and in a cast right now.

Living the dream baby!! 😂

Yup. I ended up wrapping it with Leuko tape to stop the bleeding and then finished caping and cutting up the bull gutless method. My friend got there just as I finished him up. That's where they took over so that I could get to the ER. Turns out I cut through two tendons (middle and ring fingers). I'm stitched up and in a cast right now.

Living the dream baby!! 😂
Still waiting for the surgery appointment to be determined.

Safety tip for all...wear a cut-resistant glove on your non-knife hand...

I'm a fan of rubber gloves also, so I wear it under my disposable rubber glove.

Hope your hand heals up soon.

Safety tip for all...wear a cut-resistant glove on your non-knife hand...

I'm a fan of rubber gloves also, so I wear it under my disposable rubber glove.

Hope your hand heals up soon.
This. I always wear a cut glove under my nitrile glove on my off hand.

I ALWAYS use "rubber" disposable gloves; have for 30+ years. Any of the thicker nitrile, latex, or similar gloves work fine. A lot of guys want to be macho and have blood under their fingernails etc. but I'll pass. I love finishing, peeling off gloves and voila, clean hands! They weigh next to nothing and by the box are dirt cheap online.
Also, I never gut, been doing "gutless" since my dad taught me in ~1975...

To be honest, I've never really thought about it until now. But hindsight tells me the kevlar glove on the opposite hand is probably a really good idea...

Glad your OK and good luck on your surgery. Cut my right index finger between the 1st and 2nd knuckle about 25 years ago gutting an elk. No feeling along the left side to this day. Full mobility of it though. No gut method for me ever since.

Yikes, hope you heal up. Great group of buddies for the pack out. I've been keeping a fish cleaning glove in my kill kit after cutting my index about 10 years ago. Fortunately not near as bad as your injury, just a lot of blood, no tendons.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom