Verdict on my Nikon EDG 8x32

dryflyelk

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-10 AT 08:18PM (MST)[p]With the great rebates and deals on the EDG right now, I jumped on a pair of the 8x32s. I wanted a smaller bino for woods hunting and this one seemed like it would be perfect. I had the superb 8x32 Nikon LX L before, and I'm still not sure why I sold those, and so I wanted a replacement. I bought the EDG sight unseen, with the plan to sell it if it didn't turn out what I wanted.

I've spend a couple of weeks in the woods with them now hunting hard for muleys and elk in some ultra tough country. Optically, the EDG will stack up with anything out there. The clarity and "pop" will put it in the top class. I still prefer the view from the swarovisions, but the EDG is beautiful. They are a dream to look through and I couldn't find any faults.

The other thing I really love on these binos is the focus. Buttery smooth and it puts Swarovski to shame. I wish the swarovisions had the same focus mechanism. I've had two pair of swarovisions and they both have a gritty focus. The EDG is perfect in that regard. The best I've ever used.

They have the open bridge design (that is changing for the current model), and I really like that. It allows easy one handed glassing and and they are very ergonomic.

Now for the drawbacks. I noticed that the binos were almost the same size as many 42mm binos. I was hoping they would be smaller and more compact. They weigh more than the top 32 binos, also, by several ounces.

After a couple of weeks of hard hunting, they are chipping in places. There are several places on the focus wheel where the paint and enamel is coming off. They just are not built like a Leica or a Swaro bino. The EDG seems to be aimed at birders or something. I'm hard on my gear, and I need it to hold up. They also have a shiny glare to them that I don't like that. Half of the body is a hard (magnesium?) material that would reflect the sun. I don't like that. I'll probably cover that up with camo tape.

For the price I paid, they are worth the money. You can find them for about a grand, plus you can get the rebate for the Nikon D3000 camera kit (which I'm selling- value around 450) so overall the cost will be in the $600 range. If you can get them for the same price, jump on it.

Are they in the same league as the Leicas and the Swaros? Not for me. The Germans build optics that feel like they can take a licking. I don't get that feeling from these binos. Plus, the reflective surface is a no-no.

Overall, a great bino, but not in the top tier. A great value under a grand compared to the others, but in my book, Swaro and Leica remain on top.

One other thing in the "dislike" column I forgot to mention.

The twist out eyecups. Many times during my hunt, they would collapse, just by bumping and hiking. I wouldn't notice it until I brought them to my eyes and had to readjust. They just collapse to easy. I'd like to see some tension there to hold them in place.

I bought the 10x32's for $1000 and the camera as well, I just got back from beating them in Wyoming and New Mexico, I'm very happy with them, I've noticed some chipping aswell, but I have a grey color under the enamel I've noticed, nothing shiny other than the enamel finish is a little glossy, I guess, nothing I was personally to concerned about, I like the eye cups, and the clicks in them, but agree they are to easily bumped. Only other complaint I have is with the covers, the eyepiece cover is to bulky and akward for me to use, and I lost 1 flip cap, they come off to easily.

But for the quality of glass, I got for $1000 and a DSLR camera to boot, I'm very happy. There definetely better than the mid-range glass, but I cant see them being successful, selling at the same price point as the big 3, as they were, unless the new models are better than the big 3. That being said, if you can get them on sale, they are a terrific value, and miles better than any of the over-hyped china glass, and better than the mid range optics.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom