Velvet Question

G

gaetz

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-11 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]So when a muley is ready to rid his velvet, how long does it usually take, a day or 2, or is it a week or more?

Gaetz

I've watched them go from velvet to 80% gone in and hour! I have no idea how long they take to remove the last 20%. I would guess less than a week to have things all polished up and turning dark (based on what they rubbed)

This is an event I've only witnessed a couple times so I don't really know if it's the norm or I just saw fast bucks. LOL

You guys who know more than me should chime in.

Zeke

I watched a buck (small 4 pnt.) last year. He came running off the ridge straight at me, and held up in some brush I could look down into. When he was running, he had only one rip in his velvet on the right side. When he stopped in the brush he watched his back trail for about 15 minutes, and then took out his energy/anger/frustration/ whatever he was feeling on the brush and ground. It was only about 15 to 20 minutes and he was walking out of there with completely clean off and already mostly white antlers. I was amazed!

Bucklover-

Cool story. That's what I was hoping to hear. Can't wait for the muzzy hunt to see some hard, brown horn.

TRH

i was archery hunting a few years ago in early sept. i had a buck patterned and was waiting above my ambush spot with my spotting scope out. found his group of bachelors about a half mile away following their usual route. he stopped about a quarter mile away and acted funny. he was kicking his antlers with his hind legs. he then went to a piece of buckbrush and went to town taking off his velvet. the other bucks left him and came right by the ambush spot. i watched him for 30 minutes polish his antlers. i couldnt put a stalk on him because he was across a burn from me. when he was done he kicked it in high gear and ran past the ambush at a trot to catch up with his group. it was really neat to watch it all go down.

ive seen a few bucks strip their velvet and they have all done it in less than an hour. i have also seen some bucks running around with velvet strips hanging off their horns but i havent seen ne start stripping and stop in the middle

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom