velvet bulls

S

stumpjumper

Just wondering when in the swdesert the bulls usually shed their velvet. Been up there scouting the last 3 weekends and none of the bulls seem to be rubbing yet. Is the early part of the hunt going to be for velvet bulls?
Watched 3 bulls together for 2 hours and didn't see a cow one, but feeding with them was a spotted calf. Never saw that before.

It usually starts about now until the 15th when they get the itch. Most of the pics I've seen in the last week don't show them quite ready yet, but they'll be rubbed by the 18th for the most part.

The season started on the 15 in 2009 and there were a few bulls taken in the velvet, so it's possible this year, but unlikely.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks Pete. I know alot of rubbing can happen in the next 2 weeks, just wasn't sure how these SW bulls act. I know the velvet on my head sure itches with this heat spell!
Growth is looking good to me. It's rained all 3 of my scouting weekends. Still alot of green and most of the springs are wet.
Hoping things cool down some by the 18th.

You were right Pete. The first week of the hunt showed all bulls I saw had shed their velvet. Been eyeing a nice 7x just waiting to get a chance at him. Got within 300 yrds when he bedded down, and I had no cover for a stalk so snuck back out for another day.
The evening rains are causing havoc on my hunt. Counted 68 lightning flashes in 5 min. on Sun. Headed back up tomorrow for another 5 days.
Saw a nice velvet buck 100 feet from camp. 4x or 5x couldn't belive his rack, guessing 170 plus. Bulls are starting to bugle and saw a small 5x with 3 cows but he was leading them.
Good luck to all.

Getter done Stumpjumper!!! Looking forward to seeing some pics of that bad boy when you get home.

Keep the faith man. It can be taxing in this in between time, but they'll go crazy starting the 3rd or so and you'll be able to spot and stalk bugling bulls all day long and sit water on your rest days.

All the bulls I've ever shot have been exactly on the 3rd of Sept for some reason. It's magic day when they start to want to round cows and really get in the swing of things.

I think it's the prime time for getting in on unsuspecting monster bulls.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the pump Pete. Won't make it the 3rd but will try another run the 5th thru the 10th. Hopefully they'll start going a little crazy as my time is running out. Watched the 7x do some light sparring with a 5x6 got within 90yds of the smaller one but the big guy went hiding. Tried to singem some love songs when a cow came within 10yds. Busted.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom