UTARDS INVADE TEXAS!

Roy

Well - the zoobies are out in force in Austin and the surrounding areas. Just got back from the Salt Lick - more Mormons there tonight than there will be in my ward on Sunday morning!

Guess they came to see them Cougars get whipped.
Good luck to 'em - gonna be a great game!

Got tickets in the nosebleed section. My 13 year old boy won't don the burnt orange though- he will be in the BYU blue. Poor kid. I ain't gonna stick up for him if he gets in trouble! Look for us on ESPN. He'll be the skinny white kid wearing blue in the Longhorn section.

HOOK 'EM!

When the camera pans be sure to raise up your orthopedic footwear so we can pick you out.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-11 AT 11:28PM (MST)[p]It was a great game to be there for! But, no, not the start of any losing streak.

And CJ has a pretty good appetite for Crow by now anyway!

HOOK 'EM!

I don't mind eating it. Dang it!! 16-17 is pretty close, I am only going to eat the beak if it was a blow out I would eat feathers and all:) I can hope and wish UT slips past TT but we are so far down the ladder its not good.

Last week byu fans were talkin about how a win is a win no matter what the score is...Well, this week a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it was ONLY by 1. I love to HATE byu! That shot of all the faces on the utard zoobs at the game was priceless!

Traditional >>>------->

Not happy today with the Utes losing to USC. Utah looked slow for most of the game, but it's a start and hopefully they will be able to catch up to the speed and athleticism of the Pac 12.

Eldorado

Utah plays at BYU on the 17th. Is this the earliest the teams have played each other? I would have preferred sometime in Nov.

GO UTES!!!

Eldorado

Eldo, not sure the earliest they've ever played but a couple, maybe few, Novembers ago...I was bowhunting bucks up the south side of City Creek Canyon and could hear the stadium speakers announcing the game clear as day...if I were a deer I'd move canyons lol!!

~Z~

Texas may have pulled it off, but I don't see much to cheer about this season for them. They have a lot of issues clear up. It looked like BYU finally wore out, but I would say they look like the better team.

Elkoholic.gif

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-11 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-11 AT 09:27?AM (MST)

Well Elkoholic that may very well be the consensus perception around the country, but the goals for UT this year are a lot simpler than before.

Last year, just a few months removed from playing for a national championship (a game that prior to Colt McCoy's injury was looking like a route for Texas and another ring for Mack Brown), Longhorn nation was expecting big things - another 10 win season, another conference championship, victories over Oklahoma, A&M and another BCS bowl if not a crack at another National Championship. Well, the team started out OK enough with a 3-0 record, though the victories over Rice, Wyoming and Tech weren't nearly lopsided enough and then UCLA came in dominated the Horns and visibly shook their confidence. The next week against Oklahoma they played a little more tentatively and ended up losing the game by 8 points because of some really really stupid mistakes late in the game. Despite these two black eyes, they still felt they had a great team, came out the next week and beat Nebraska, who was ranked #5 at the time. So, things didn't look too bad at that point. But then, the wheels somehow came off the bus and they reeled off a string of losses to teams that if they had played the same way they did against OU and Nebraska, shouldn't have lost to at all - Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and A&M. Not to take anything away from those teams at all, they all proved they were good enough last year - and that is the way the Big 12 is, the teams are tough enough that if you don't play your best game every week, you will get beat. Every team is loaded with great athletes, great coaches and has lots of potential, and you simply can't take a day off or get down. But for some reason that really doesn't have to do with the level of talent and ability on the roster, the team fell apart and went through its worst losing streak in a looooooong time. Nobody in the whole country was prepared for that. Yes there were many who reveled in the Horns' anguish; no one can say they expected that team to finish 5-7. It was a bitter disappointment, but what could you expect from a fan base that just came off two of the greatest quarterbacks in college football history? (Colt McCoy is actually THE winningest QB in college football history and Vince Young - well how can you argue with what he did in college ball?)

Just to put it in perspective, in the main offices of the football team at UT there is a huge, pristine Trophy Room that holds all the National Championship trophies, Heisman Trophy replicas, etc. Well there is also a huge TV screen that shows highlights from the previous year (which is actually a closed-circuit channel that is piped in to about 15 different TV's in that building - one in every bathroom too!). As I have been employed there I have had the privilege to see this and revel in the greatness of that era of Texas football. Well, this past year, there was not highlight film being played there. The huge flat screen HD monitor was turned off or it showed "Texas Legends". The silence was notable and succinct. The coaches knew it; the frequent visitors knew it and I guarantee you it was a point that was not lost on the players either.

This year however, there are different expectations. We realize we were overvalued by a lot last year and that to expect a 10 win season, Big 12 Championship and a BCS bowl is a bit of a stretch. So this year, what it will take for Longhorn Nation to be satisfied is greatly modified.

First, they need to have a winning record and be bowl eligible. Second, they can't lose the games they shouldn't - which mean victories over Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas State, A&M (they should NEVER lose to A&M even if they are ranked #1 and are beating NFL teams) and Baylor. No one loss to one of these teams would be frowned upon but forgiven, multiple losses though is going to bring out the torches, nooses, buckets of tar and feathers.

Losses to OU and OSU will be big disappointments as well, but acceptable because of their rankings, experience, and talent levels. The loss to UCLA last year was a shock, but if it happens again this week, it won't be as hard to swallow because they are a non-conference opponent and the game is on the road. It won't be well received, but it will be understood, even though it should be counted as one of the games Texas shouldn't lose. Third, they have to establish an offensive identity, resolve the QB issues (I am a Garrett Gilbert supporter, thought it was disgusting that the crowd booed him the way they did, but agree he needed to be pulled from that game as the booing clearly rattled him and I can't argue with the results of the Case McCoy/David Ash combo that got them through the rest of the game) and establish themselves again as an elite high-powered scoring threat. Fourth, they need to have at least one upset victory, play the role of a spoiler during the regular season and get some of that swagger back that they had with Colt and Vince. Fifth they need to get to a bowl game and make a great showing - a win would be great but even if they just play well and show a lot of promise, it will get us through. Oh and finally, they have to beat A&M. They have to every year. Most of the time it happens and A&M is tough this year but it is no excuse - they just have to.

If all or enough of those expectations are fulfilled this season will be counted as a big success and there will be plenty of things to be happy about. So far, things are looking up. The offense is progressing nicely despite Gilbert's futility against BYU. He actually looked great against Rice and though he is definitely on notice, his days at Texas are not over, he will still get his snaps and another chance at some point to prove he is the team leader. He just doesn't have a lot of room for error - none, in fact. He needs to be perfect.

So yes, Elkoholic, Texas is probably not going to be a direct factor in the BCS picture this year, don't discount them completely, they have a lot to accomplish still, but with over 40 Freshmen and Sophomores seeing significant playing time, the plan for this year is optimistic yet tempered with reality. We are 2-0 and happy about it ? it is a lot better than we could be at this point and the rest of the season is looking pretty good. Look for 7-8 wins and some tough hard-fought battles. We aren't one of the elite just yet -BUT 2012, 2013, and 2014?? Better watch out.

So one last big thank you to all the Utards who travelled here this weekend and spent your money at Round Rock Donuts, The Salt Lick, Rudy's, Chuy's, Flip Happy Crepes, and all the bars on Sixth Street (let's not be na?ve and pretend that there weren't at least a few Word of Wisdom breakers among the invaders!), you certainly travel well and helped boost our local economy (a boost which probably just helped Rick Perry secure the Republican nomination too - you KNOW he will take credit for it!). For the most part, you were good fans too, though there were a few obnoxious idiots (probably some of the same ones who woke up yesterday morning in a gutter on Sixth Street) who couldn't help singing ?Rise and Shout? every time Jake Heaps made a completion and yelled ?P.I!! P.I.!!? on every single incompletion and chest bumped and fist pumped like Tiger Woods winning the Master?s after every single BYU field goal. Other than that though, it was good to see a bunch of my fellow Utards in town. Sorry if my eight-year old offended you if he rolled the window down and flashed the ?Horns Up? every time he saw a car full of BYU blue t-shirts. He can't help it, he is a Texan and proud of it!

HOOK 'EM!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom