Utah Translocated Mule Deer Update

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Southern Utah translocation mule deer study update email.

------------------------------------------------------
All,

Mule deer translocation update for February 9th-February 15th

?? Additional lab results associated with translocated deer came back showing general agreement between the ultrasound assessment of pregnancy and a hormone test using blood. Because the initial capture (early January) was early term (conception in November or December associated with the rut), there was potential to miss pregnancies with the ultrasound. In summary, hormone tests suggest all but 5 of the 51 translocated deer were pregnant when captured. All but one of these was suspected as open based on ultrasound. Thanks Leslie!

?? We were unable to hear the 1 resident deer with a suspect collar (weak signal) from the ground this week. We hiked in to the area near the location we marked on the flight last week, but were unable to detect the signal. We also listened from different locations surrounding the area where she was located on the flight without success. As we move forward, we may only have sporadic contact with this deer on flights.

?? We had one translocated deer mortality this week. This deer died between Monday February 11th and Wednesday February 13th. Mountain lion tracks and caching of the carcass suggest cougar predation. This deer was found approximately .50 miles east of the deer killed last week by a cougar and we suspect the same animal is responsible for both events. Both of these deer were in dense junipers at higher elevations than the majority of resident and other translocated deer which may have put them at increased risk of predation.

?? We've listened for radio signals 3 times since the last update and identified the general location for 48 of 49 resident deer (missing the resident deer with a weak signal) and 46 of 46 translocated deer.

?? We have continued to carefully (without disturbing them) observe translocated deer. We have now observed 15 different translocated deer. All but one of them has been associated with groups of resident deer. Although time intensive, we will continue these efforts over the next several weeks.

?? This week, we downloaded data from 5 gps collars (3 translocated deer and 2 resident deer). These 5 GPS collars appear to be working well. Thanks to Kent for helping with remote downloads and initial programming of GPS collars. The attached .kmz file shows translocated deer are using the same general areas as resident deer, but that their movements and habitat use are more widespread and dispersed. Over the next couple of weeks, we will continue remote downloads (need to be within a few hundred meters between 6 am and noon) on remaining GPS collars (total GPS collars currently out = 18).

?? In summary, we've had six total mortalities (1 of 50 resident deer, 5 of 51 translocated deer). At least one of the translocated deer died of capture myopathy. Forty eight resident deer (missing one with weak radio signal) and 46 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

?? We urge caution when interpreting these results as they are only preliminary.

Thanks to all for continued interest and support.

Please forward to any that are interested.

David Smedley

------------------------------------------------------

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Well sounds like they are doing well.... minus predators! guess it goes to show the impact of coyotes and lions! nearly 10 percent of these deer were killed by predators! That is just the ones we know about! Who knows what have been killed in the same area that are not collared and monitored! well this study is very valuable so far! I think this translocation seems to be working and looks like we may have an answer to doe hunts! I hope it keeps up it looks very promising to be successful with the deer integrating in to resident herds! Very interesting that none of these deer have traveled far from the translocated location. I think this study is awesome, gotta give some credit where credit is due, good job SFW

I understand your optimism ox, I too hope this turns out well for the deer. It will be a three year study if the deer last that long. Once winter is over and the critters move off the winter range, it will be interesting to see how far and where those travels will take them; including if they will return to their home winter range or back to the drop off point area.

Lots of questions remain, and a lot of time left to learn how things will transpire. If this is successful and can be repeated, I think the costs can also be reduced somewhat. I don't, however, think trans-location is ever going to be a feasible answer to moving large numbers of critters from one place to another, but I'll remain optimistic for now.

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Can't wait for elkuns Reply!

There's one cat left in the area!

Better kill it!

Before He eats somebodies PISSCUTTER!:D

We can Skin a Buck,We can run a Trout Line, and a Country Boy Can Survive!

I would be interested in an additional study...looking at the affects of infusing genetic diversity.
Perhaps we can breed out all the PISSCUTTER genes Bess loves to refer to! :)

Stillhunterman-
Yeah I know its a longggg way before we know the outcome. It also has not been very long since the begining, but it seems to me these deer have integrated pretty well so far. I just think it is a worthwhile experiment. Those does' were already on the chopping block. I am excited to see what happens throughout the study. I am just glad to see the proper people trying to fix the situation. Utah is actually trying to do something to fix the problems, deer over/underpasses, highway fences, translocation attempts, habitat improvements(some), and predator control programs. THese are all steps in the right direction. Im just glad to see something being tried instead of just slaughtering does' when other units are in need of those does'. This study has already shown the impact of coyotes on deer, already a few coyote killed deer in the study and they cleared out a whole bunch of coyotes from the site to begin with. In this small study, predators are having a significant impact, 3-4 predator mortalitys in a couple months in just a herd of 50 deer in a site that had coyotes shot out significantly. ( although its possible more have moved in). This study will do more than just show translocation effectivness, it will show other factors as well.

Within a few mile radius of where these deer were released close to 70 coyotes have been killed by from the air. I think it was 39 before the translocation and another 25 or so since. That many coyotes will keep a deer herd in bad shape.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom