utah poaching bill

justr_86

Long Time Member
I just caught it on the news saying there's a bill making repeat offenders and people that kill a trophy animal a felony!! I really hope it passes it might help people think twice before shooting.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Clearfield lawmaker's poaching bill survives House committee
By Dan Weist (Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau)

Last Edit: Feb 8 2010 - 10:57pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- After failing the first time around, a Top of Utah lawmaker's bill to strengthen poaching laws passed a House committee on Monday and heads to the floor for a debate and a possible vote.

The bill sponsored by Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield, would make repeat violations of some poaching laws a felony instead of a misdemeanor. A felony is a much more serious legal charge.

"There is no other way to go after some of these guys," said Oda at the hearing.

The committee had heard examples of hunters who took excessive big game, or as the bill describes it, practiced "wanton destruction of protected wildlife."

After two violations, the third would become a third-degree felony.

But Oda's legislation rankled some members of the committee and split parts of the Top of Utah delegation, which is heavily represented on the committee.

Rep. Mel Brown, R-Coalville, tried to amend the bill and take it back to a misdemeanor but lost on a 7-6 vote.

Among the concerns was the thought that a felony conviction would give federal game officers more power to interdict in state poaching cases. Others thought the change was too harsh on hunters.

"The problems are more far- reaching," said Rep. Michael Noel, R-Kanab.

Yet Oda's proposal picked up enough support when he agreed to amend the bill to force all three violations to occur within seven years for the crime to be a felony.

The bill also has the support of the Utah Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife organization

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I hope it passes, having a felony will keep them from legally owning any weapons, etc. That is definitely a step in the right direction for preventing poaching, and dealing with poachers.

Nocked N Loaded

Thanks for posting that Tony. I was going to do more research tonight but you beat me to it.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom