Utah muzzleloader BS

pauns08

So what is our retarded utah DWR thinking in the new muzzy scope rules? After shooting quite a few days this summer and not being near as accurate as I'd like with a 1x scope, open sights, and also the Williams precision globe sight I've decided they all suck past about 150 yards. Before this year I was shooting a half inch group at 100 yards and 400 yards was darn near a chip shot with the 4-12 power scope that I had on it and now I'm pretty happy just hitting a 10 inch paper plate at 150 yards. So does the dwr really think that the select few guys that were shooting their muzzleloaders 500+ yards are going to completely decimate the deer herd? Well I can tell you the guys shooting 500 yards knew what they were doing and were quite accurate, now you're going to have everyone shooting at deer at 200-300 yards where really nobody has any business shooting at a deer at 200-300 yards with the new rules. Now before anyone says "I can accurately shoot 300+ yards with the new rules" no, no you can't. You might be able to luck into a 12 inch group but to me that's not considered accurate enough to ethically take an animal. So why not let us have the most accurate weapon we can have?

I understand what you guys are saying and maybe my comment came off as I want to shoot a deer with my muzzy at 500+ but that's not at all it but I would like to shoot a moa group at 100 yards and it's almost unattainable I feel like. I feel like you're still going to have every guy out there shooting at and wounding animals at 200 yards. I guess there is no difference in wounding one at 200 yards with the primitive style that they went back to than wounding one at 600 yards with a turret scope.

Pauns,

I was a bit frustrated with the change also having 19 NR deer points. It appears that the change put more folks in for the muzzy draws so it didn’t discourage folks from hunting muzzys.

Pauns,

I was a bit frustrated with the change also having 19 NR deer points. It appears that the change put more folks in for the muzzy draws so it didn’t discourage folks from hunting muzzys.
Ya it didn't discourage me I still put in for muzzy tag and drew it but I'm having a hard time and it's frustrating not being as accurate even at 100 yards as I was with a better scope. I feel like we owe it to the animal to be the most precise as we can with our shooting.

The Biggest Issue Is They Didn't Do A FAIR TAKE Across The Board Including Archery Equipment & LONG-RANGERS With Their Rifles!

Let's Get A Couple More Committee's Going!

Ya it didn't discourage me I still put in for muzzy tag and drew it but I'm having a hard time and it's frustrating not being as accurate even at 100 yards as I was with a better scope. I feel like we owe it to the animal to be the most precise as we can with our shooting.

Be a hunter…… Get closer. Thats the f-in point. lol

500 yards with the right equipment is not a difficult muzzy shot anymore. The reasons you stated above are exactly why the Wildlife Board (not the DWR) banned scopes again.

You and I can disagree with them for their reasons, but their stated reasoning is because, as you clearly stated, 400 yards with a muzzy was darn near a chip shot, and they believed the muzzy hunt should be different. Nothing more, nothing less.

First time I ever picked up my friends Paramount with a custom made turret I shot a sub moa group at 300 yards and then was 1.5” off center for at 500. I had shot two shots at 100 yards to make sure it was on before this. So yeah, it wasn’t hard to do with the right equipment.

I shot it better than I shoot my 7mm. I am not some sniper either. I consider myself a very average shooter.

It’s going to take more people actually pulling the fancy scopes off and seeing how hard muzzy hunting used to be before you see those draw odds change. But it will happen. As you stated, 200 yards with 1x or open sights is a dang hard shot. Some can do it consistently, but I couldn’t. And that is exactly what the policy makers for wildlife in Utah were going for.

I too am going to struggle with the "new" regulation in Utah. My eyes don't see far away very well at all anymore.

Either I'll be able to make it work where I am comfortable taking shots within my abilities, or I won't muzzy hunt.

I can see far away great but not close up! I took the aperture out of the rear sight. Making a "ghost ring" type of sight. Works better for what my eyes are doing.

Ya I understand what the reason was I guess I'm just frustrated trying to get the muzzys to the point I feel really good with them out to 150 yards. I was a bowhunter forever so I get the point of trying to get closer I just wanted to try a different weapon so I picked up muzzy hunting about 5 years ago and really loved it and I still do and I'll continue to muzzy hunt.

I believe it was changed, since allot of the big bucks were taken before the rifle season started and kind of p off the people. I never got to hunt utah muzzy with variable scope so to me it's they way it was before. I drew this year after 6 years of applying as a non resident.

So?

It was Them DAMNED SmokePolers That Killed All The Bucks In DRATville Huh?

I believe it was changed, since allot of the big bucks were taken before the rifle season started and kind of p off the people. I never got to hunt utah muzzy with variable scope so to me it's they way it was before. I drew this year after 6 years of applying as a non resident.

A friend of mine drew the Paunsaugant a couple years ago, hired a guide after waiting 27 years with his muzzle loader.There was one giant buck everyone was after and he was big. One guided hunter took a crack at him at 600 yards and hit him, no one ever saw the Buck again nor did they find him. It wasn’t long after there was talk of removing scopes. Come up to Idaho where you shoot primative. Only in Utah are Custom 1000 yard muzzle loaders with turret scopes used and made.

While it might be about saving some bucks here and there... its really about the experience. With new muzzies and high powered scopes, the muzzy hunts were really just single-shot rifle hunts.

I wish you luck buddy! 150 yards with open sights or 1x scope is doing well and something to feel good about. But, I've never taken a crack at a buck with open sights passed 100 yards myself. 😁

I've got several red dots between pistols, ARs and scatter guns, so I like them and are custom to them, currently the trijicon has been my go to.
I can consistently shoot 250 yards with one on my muzzy, no 1" group stuff but 3" to 4" groups at 250 yards, I feel confident killing a deer or elk at that range, but that is the absolute max I would shoot, most of my shots are under the 200 yd mark.
Even when I had 3x9 on my muzzy my groups where obviously tighter, but I still didn't push it past 250yd

Last edited:
A friend of mine drew the Paunsaugant a couple years ago, hired a guide after waiting 27 years with his muzzle loader.There was one giant buck everyone was after and he was big. One guided hunter took a crack at him at 600 yards and hit him, no one ever saw the Buck again nor did they find him. It wasn’t long after there was talk of removing scopes. Come up to Idaho where you shoot primative. Only in Utah are Custom 1000 yard muzzle loaders with turret scopes used and made.
We wish we had your Idaho muzzy regs!
Very jealous!!

I was opposed to them allowing magnified scopes on muzzleloaders when they made the change in 2015-16ish. I’m glad they change it back to the prior regulations for many reasons already stated. I am a average shooter, my eye sight is getting worse every year, and I do not have a fancy long range muzzleloader but MOA at 100 yards is possible with the regulations currently in place. 300+ yards… not so much but that was the intent for making the changes.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom