Utah Mt Goat- Wife has 18 pts & now a injured back

• Thread starter patientlywaiting
  • Start date
P

patientlywaiting

Anyone who's hunted Willard or Beaver area for goats I need to pick your brains.

I've hunted Lone Peak and Box Elder since I was 16 years old and since 1984 helped 10 people kill good billys in both of these units. All these years That my wife has been putting in for goat, I've planned that once she drew I'd just take her up on a Friday night and shoot a big billy within sight of our house in Alpine and be back home on Saturday night.

Now there are two problems with my plan.

The first problem which doesn't worry me as much as the second problem is the number of goats has drastically declined in the Box Elder Unit which is why the DWR has combined it with Lone Peak and Box Elder. The reason this doesn't bother me as much as the second problem is; since instead of waiting until the last week and the billys look like a 300 pound cotton ball and all furred out, I'd just take her up on the first week and shoot the first billy we could find see regardless of the hair length.

The second problem which is a show stopper is she has just discovered a couple of weeks ago that she possibly has a ruptured disk due to some leg pain. And in no way would she be able to take one of my 5000? vertical climb, hikes from hell to get from the trail head to the goats.

So I'm looking at a unit that has much easier access. I've never set foot on the Beaver or the Willard Units but have heard that you can drive a wheeler to the top and hunt down or along the tops.

Any information that anyone would be willing to share will be greatly appreciated. I'm down to the wire and need to decide before 11pm tomorrow night if she'll be hunting or just buy a point.

I plan to post this in General hunting section too if MM will let me so you may see this in both sections of the forum.

Thank you.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

PW aka SB,
a couple things:

1- Couldn't you find a horse guy to get her up to the saddle above your house? That would help IF she's up to a horse ride.

2- while I've never hunted the Beaver for goats, I do know a couple people who have. I might be talking out of my butt but I've heard that it's not a huge climb to get into the goats. I'm sure if she drew there we could scare up some great information.

These are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt.
I hope you get the real info for which you search!!!

Zeke

+1 to Mr. Zeke, on the Beaver.
I too have never hunted it and I'm no goat guy! But I've heard from others that it's not that extreme, given it's a goat hunt.
Great genes down there as well....so I hear.

Zeke,
Long time no see.

I actually have a mule and access to others through friends and although my wife is not real fond of the four legged ascension vehicle due to a bad experiance when a youngste. My plan B has always been to get her into the area on horses or mules, but know that unless real lucky and you end up hunting on the same pile of rocks that you tie your animals to, that getting into the area is only about a fourth of the battle. Especially on Box Elder and Lone Peak. Years ago on the Lonepeak Unit we stumbled onto the pavement in Little Cottenwood Canyon at 3am with a dead goat and dang glad we didn't have horses tied up on the top of the mountain that we had to go back for. Although I consider myself a bit wiser nowdays than I was back then and pretty sure I'd avoid anthing that resembeled an ending like that again.

Unless I get info today that changes my mind, I'm thinking I better just having her buy another point and see how things are next year with her. One worry with me putting her goat hunt off another year is with me now with 19 Desert Sheep points I'm finally nearing the ball park and the really don't want both tags in the same year.

Although, that could be a year to remember....... or turn out to be a year to quickly forget :)

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

I have hunted Beaver for several years chasing deer and elk. You can take a vehicle to 11000 ft on that mtn and the goats are everywhere. We have goats all around us above treeline during archery and muzzleloader season and the climb, if any, would be pretty mild for your wife. Just my two cents based on my experience there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom