Utah Moose

2lumpy

Long Time Member
30282011familywithmoose.jpg

I first want to thank a bunch of MMers that, once again, helped me complete a lifetime dream. I've wanted to hunt moose for 50 years. Thank you, PleaseDear, woodruffhunter, BlandingBoy, and Stephan (don't know his MM name). I apologize if I've forgotten anyone, it's late. Each of you gave me a narrow start so we could concentrate on known moose locations and your knowledge and directions were exactly what we needed. We still had to get out and find them but without your help we would have had a much more difficult hunt.

Secondly, I want to thank my son's muley73 for many, many trips checking rumors and confirmed sightings and wear out a pair of kenetrek boots on my behalf. I believe muley73 can see a tick on a deer's ear at 500 yards. Also, my son muley75 who can out walk and out work men twice his size. I believe there are few outfitters or guides who can out hunt my boys. (Can I say that without sounding arrogant or prideful? I'm just so grateful for all three of my sons, the third, who is equally hard working but unable to be with us this weekend.)

I also want to think two great friends that live up the street from me here in Glenwood. Two horse wranglers, one, a 69 year old attorney that still drives to Las Vegas every Sunday afternoon and drive back every Thursday night to live the good life here in Glenwood and a 50 year old DWR employee that raises fish here at the State Hatcher. These two guys can do things with horses that rival the trail hands of the past.

Here the real, real short version of my moose hunt. After I've got my beauty rest I'll post up a couple more pic.

The boys took care of me, again. muley73 scouted none stop for the last month. He found this bull at nearly a mile and a half away, standing in a quakie grove in a pouring rain, then got me with in 1000 yards and he then proceeded to push him to within 200 yards of me. All I had to was make a chip shot. Then he and muley75, caped, skinned and quartered him, I never touched his hide until we were back in camp. muley75 grilled his tender loin and fried up the spuds and onions while I trimmed my finger nails and rubbed pesky smoke from my eyes, from the fire muley73 built in front of my lawn chair. I did cut up my own steak and added a little salt to the taters Scott put on my plate.

It was another 2lumpy family rodeo, as usual. We had the "once in a lifetime hunt". If we'd have had a canoe we could have floated him back to camp, we wouldn't have been any wetter if we'd of dove in a lake, but we had a fantastic hunt. Not the biggest moose on the unit, muley73 found one bigger but couldn't find him again. The family members were in the right places when this bull showed and I am thrilled with the outcome.

Again, thank you everyone that help, you've the best people in the world.

Dc

Congrats on a hard earned bull!

We have a tag for the same unit but won't be up there until the second season.

Awesome DC & Family!

That Bull sure looks Dark(Wet!)LOL!

Sure wished I had a Fresh Moose Steak,you just made me Hungry!

Other than getting it done so QUICK (LOL!)that just might be the Perfect Hunt!

Remember,Moose Love them kinda conditions!:D

Nice Job Guys!

For "GOSH" Sakes,We got "TARDS" on this Site that can't handle a Damn,I Mean DANG thing,maybe MM should add a Church/Biblical Forum for the MM'ers that can't handle the Hunting Forums?
Pfffffffffff............!!!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

"I did cut my own steak", probably the line of the year so far. Speaking as a son(dad died a few years back) who still hunts with the "tiques", we take a lot of pride in paying back to the men who hauled us around as kids. Sounds like your boys feel the same and you should be proud. Look at that pic with the boys and I assume their boys, THAT MY FRIEND IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!! Yeah there are always bigger animals, but getting to hang out with those boys is WAY more important. GOOD JOB!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Great hunt and a great moose, well done!!

I still remember going with my dad, years ago on his moose hunt. I also remember packing it out with my friends! What a memorable experience for youand your family!!

Lumpy, You're prelim. scouting paid off. I swear, if it was a duck hunt, all of the ducks would line up, so you could shoot them one at a time. Congratulations ol' boy.

Congratulations Lumpy.. Nice bull and the fact it was a family affair makes it more special for all that were involved.

Hunts like this are how lifetime memories are made.

What unit was this? Just curious as I too filled my moose tag Saturday, in absolutely terrible weather. Sounds like our experiences were very similar.

DD,
It was the Cache, and yes is was very Alaskan moose hunt weather!!!! But it sure kept the flies and temp down!!!!!

Mine was Cache as well. It was a cold, miserable bugger Saturday. Congrats to you guys.

Good job DC and boys!!! You guys are awesome!! Nothing better than having a plan come together...What a great story and a great bull...Later, L.T.

Way to go Team Lumpy! I bet those sons of yours wet their pants (other than rain) and those grandsons don't look any worse for wear either! Neat family trip.

It's always an adventure!!!

A big congrats to a guy that deserves good hunts.

I'm 12 years vested into rocky mountain goat. Moose is going to be next on my list for OIL. I envision my young boys having boys of their own and being about the age of your sons when/if I get a chance at moose. I'd love to have a family pic like the one you posted. It's awesome.

Congrats again.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-11 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the props lumpy, but I got to give props to my little blonde scouting partner! I'm pretty sure she has been more driven to find moose and goats this year than me!!! Its been fun to see the fire burning again after a 10 yr break!!!

These tag really do effect the whole family so often. I just hope it is as positive for others as it has been for our family!

Thanks for all the kind remarks folks. Nice to hear from all the guys who helped us get this done.

My moose hunt was actually a month long event even though I shot him at 10:30 a.m. on the first day of moose season. While it might seem like we wrapped it up quickly, it was, in reality, a long hunt. The shooting was the culmination of many days of hunting prior to the season opener, so it didn't feel like a short hunt, especially to muley73, who wore out his foot pads in my behalf.

We figured we had a good plan in place Friday when we turned in for the night but it started to rain some time around midnight and stayed with it most of the night. The sun rise was hidden behind thick cloud cover and we had light rain. Hauling horses down the Danish Dugway was out of the question, so we headed south. We glassed the locations we'd seen moose previously. Two cows a calf moose and a couple spike bull elk were all we could find. We checked all the ponds (like anything would have come to water, not) and paused to check all the canyons and clearings. All empty. Turned back and pulled up an a high vantage point, where we intended to spend the rest of the morning glassing a 300 degree horizon. Before we got the scopes set up muley73 had a bull located a long , long way out. Actually it was nearly back at our camp. It took me 5 minutes of watching the quakie grove before I could finally pick it out in the spotting scope. How muley73 saw it with 10 power binos is a mystery to me.

We moved locations then walked about 800 yard to where we'd last seen the bull feeding. It was gone. Brush and grass was 3 feet tall, thick and full of water. We were saturated 60 seconds into the stock. Before we got to where we figured the bull was it was raining briskly again. Thankful it was still in the 50's and no wind so it was uncomfortable but tolerable.

We spread out and started to glass the area again. A cow moose came straight to us from over a mile way. She came to within 500 yards and stopped halfway down into a draw we were pretty sure the bull had fed into. muley75 and one grandson positioned themselves to watch and signal us while another son and grandson moved forward with me, closer to the last known location of the bull. My two wrangler friends made a wide circle out and around the cow moose.

muley73 left his son with me and dropped straight off into the canyon between us and the cow.

Up to now we'd been dealing with light to moderate rain and intermittent claps of thunder (nothing close). Then it started to hail and it was becoming a bit annoying. Being wet clear through to your moles is bad enough, getting whacked in the ears with hail stones a little more that I was willing to put up with so we found a big juniper and backed into it far enough to get a little cover. No sooner had we backed i to the tree (and wiped my rifle scope lens clean, for the 15th time), than Bull Winkle made an appearance. He's standing at the head of the canyon, butt toward me, looking back from where he'd just come, toward muley73. I estimated him at between 150 and 200 yards. I couldn't tell if he was the same bull we'd seen through the spotting scope or not. In reality he didn't look as big but I really couldn't see his head very clearly through my watery scope and the angle of his body. I've ad 20 things going through my mind all at once. "Is he the same bull, is he mature, well he turn enough so I can get a shot into his lungs, I've got no way to get a solid rest to shot from, the brush is too high to use the shooting sticks, can I hit him in the back of what little I can see of his neck, will it blow off an antler, it will definitely ruin the cape, oh 5hit there he goes".

My grandson, whom I tapped on the shoulder when I first spotted the bull had been totally mute up until this moment. He then decides he needs to say something to make sure I'm fully aware of the changing conditions, and he say's with a fair degree of indignity and authority in his voice. "Well, if your going to shot, you better shot he'm now."

I think to myself, "well, he's got that part about figured right" and I pull down on the bull, who is not trotting into quakies but is rather charging into them.

Now then, after 50 years of chasing critters, this is not my first trip to he rodeo, I've missed ever getting a shot off at critters running through trees before. See, for those of you who've not yet had the experience, you only have a limited field of vision when you looking through a scope cranked up to 6 power, and as you swing along with the critter you can't see the breaks in the trees coming or no, where you can get a shot through into the animal. So your swinging along hoping for a large enough opening to come into your field of vision so you can move your cross hair out ahead of the animal and squeeze off a round. What invariable happens is, the trees eventually get thick and you never get a shot off. Then when the critter is gone your standing there feeling stupid, asking yourself, "what the hell just happened".

So I'm moving way ahead of he and I find a fair sized opening and I'm ready and he blows into it going hell bent for leather and because I know I have to snap it quick I get on him and turn one loose but I can see in the scope, just as I turn it loose, that in spite of my effort, the shot is to far back of his shoulder but I hear the bullet hit so know I've hit him. I run another round in and find another opening in the trees, it's about half the size of the first one. He hits the opening and I shot again. I hear it hit again, this time I know the shot is back even farther than the first but the bull disappears so I don't know if he's down or standing in the thick trees. I do know he has not come out of the other side of the trees.

No sooner had I pull the trigger and the sky literally dumped buckets on us. Didn't matter, because you can only get so wet, then it's just water on top of water. Doesn't even make your clothes any heavier after they reached a point of total saturation, and they already were.

My grandson and I stood out in the down pour for thirty minutes and let everyone catch up, then I get to a vantage point and we move into the trees. We no sooner get to the edge of the trees and we find him piled up in the bushes. We approach him cautiously and to my joy and and relief, he had bled out and was finished.

We had a good old fashioned celebration. All dignified and proper, of course. Then it was photo time after which the work started. Naturally my work was complete so I take a comfortable and soggy seat and watch my son's get after it, offering words of encouragement mixed with caution, threats and instructions from my position of seniority. Funny thing though, I think they all need hearing tests, they just went on about their business without doing a damn thing I told them to do.

Once they had it caped and quartered we swam (walked) back to the vehicles and drove to camp. Had a few ham sandwiches, tried to dry out and around three in the afternoon the clouds lifted and the sun actually made an appearance. We saddled the horse and headed back in for our bull.

With one exception, when one of the pack horses took offense to muley73 laying a hide quarter, half in, half out, of a pannier where upon the horse attempted to up-root a 6 inch quakie then butt knocked one of the my wrangler buddies rolling through the flora and fauna, we had a pleasant ride back to camp, with enough day light left to get things put up before dark.

The next morning (Sunday) we trailered the horse off the mountain in 8 inches of greasy, slimy mud, in and out of the ditch three times, all down hill so gravity and a diesel engine plowed on down to the asphalt and on home. muley75 busted his tranfer-case open on a rock I'd rolled up earlier in the middle of the road earlier in the day when I can into camp. Nothing 500 bucks and a week in the shop can't take care off, so nothing to worry about there.

The wranglers blew a rear tire on the pick-up just past the Mona exit on their way home. Another 160 bucks but what the hell, that tender loin was outstanding and if I ever recover financially, we're going to Alaska to kill a grizzly.

Stay tuned.

And yes, the bull was still in full velvet but not much was left of it by the time we got it home. It was ready to strip so we just went ahead and remove it. I haven't decide if I'll have it mounted or just do a Euro. I'll let the taxidermy side of the family make that decision.

Dc
Here a few more pictures.

Bull, across from camp.
155moose2.jpg

Bull on Danish Dugway
8534moose3.jpg

8653moose4.jpg

How can you repay friends like these two?
9021friends.jpg

3079darinandbert.jpg

Headed to camp.
1829moosehead.jpg

One more of my heros
71162011moosesm.jpg

Hey DeLoss...
Congrats on a fine looking moose...
I can recall when I was a little dejected over my late elk hunt and you gave me the pep talk about being with the boys and having a memory forever right above the lodge at Fishlake to tell all the grandkids about.
And you were right. That really hit me and now I could care less about the animal, but the memory being with my boys, and of those boys working together and doing all the work while I sat on my tired butt, was something I will never forget. It is something those boys will always remember too... I will never forget them dragging that big ol bull down that hill whole thru that thick sage and crap!
And I am right there for a moose tag in the next year or two and can't wait to experience what you just went thru with your family.
I'm sure I'll get the "presidential treatment" again in payback for all the years of taking them out and teaching them how to love and enjoy the outdoors!
I can tell you had a great hunt and made some wonderful memories..
Congrats again!!
Give me a call one of these nights and I will come over and check him out!

Nice story DeLoss. Great to experience it with friends and family. And you won't have to re-pay those friends. A real horse/mule guy loves to use them. I gotta pack a few out for friends this week....

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Lumpy, your success is their success, your joy is their joy. Hunting is all about family and friends. The animal is simply icing on the cake.

Eldorado

Thanks for checking in Justin C. Tell you good ol Dad hi for me, still think about the old times and you guys often. Do you remember the morning that red tail hawk picked up that cottontail in front of us on the Long Ridges? You weren't hardly old enough to see over the dashboard in that trip.

Your right Packout but I like to try to make it right when good friends go out of their way, I get my jollies from making folks happy so I'd be planning something for those two. It will make me feel good.

AR, I'll give you a call right way. We stripped the velvet and it changed the looks a little. I need to get the tissue boiled off so it doesn't start to get odoriferous in this warm weather. Sometimes I wish I had a tub of dermestid beetle but really I don't want any milk cows anymore so I guess its back to the camp chef and the bucket of soda water. Are you guys finding any spike bulls yet? Have you still got your outfit up at the lake? Do you know when they are closing Bowery this year, I'd like one more burger on the lake shore this fall. Now that I'm tagged out for the year I'd like to drag the bottom for a Mac, you up for in some chilly morning trolling this year?

Well, thanks again guys. Good luck on your adventures this fall.
DC

Hey Joey, I was hoping you'd check in. We had a big old time. Ain't these hunting trips the best for a man's soul. Nothing like it to rejuvenate the spirit, I plan on doing it for another 20 years, at least. Let's all die on a trail, with our boots laced up tight, in some great place in the back country.

avacadoboy, thanks for the call, I'll be watching for the e-mail. I'll add your pic to my wall of elk kills off my backyard play ground. I can add two pics so far this year.

DC

DC, I have to run to Salt Lake tonight for a meeting tomorrow...maybe when I get back tomorrow night I would be able to run over and check him out.
And I am always ready to drag the bottom. One of these days??????
Just getting the time to do it is tough. I can start hunting come the muzzy hunt and even though the deer numbers are bad, just getting out packing a gun will make it wonderful for me.
Then trying to get ready for the other general hunts, plus get down and doing some scouting for the wife's hunt, really makes it hard to find any time....But let's see what we can work out...
Next to an early morning bugle, a monster buck trying to slip away as the sun comes up, or seeing the moose you have been chasing right in your lap, dragging the lake for a monster laker has to be right up there near the top of the things I enjoy the most..
I will get with you tomorrow if I get home in decent time...
Checking out others trophies is also pretty cool in my book!!!
I really love this time of year to say the least...Rode up to the lake last night and seen 2 nice bulls! Also a big plus in my things to do book...haha....

"Let's all die on a trail, with our boots laced up tight, in some great place in the back country."

Amen to that!! :) I knew right off when i heard of you getting that tag that this was going to be a great story-hunt and you sure didn't disappoint. Congrats to all the gang that helped you out as well. Just a very nice "feel good" story here fellas, job well done!!

2Lumpy, i got a bit of a good hunt in the making myself out here in Northern Cali. It's in the Calif Forum under, "Who's wanting to go" if you care to follow along.

Joey

Lumpy,

Haven't figured out whether you're going to be the next Utah guide sensation, a writer for an outdoor sportsmen magazine, or Top Shot. You need to get retired, so you can go on the next adventure.

Congrats and thank you for sharing your hunt. The picture with you and your family was great to see, I hope to have a similiar picture when I draw some day. Congrats again on a great moose.

If it was that long ago I guess not! HA! Dad, Ty and I will be down that way for the ML hunt. We'll see if we can stop in for a look at your bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom