Utah Moose

P

Pulverizer

Took this bull Saturday just before dark. Tried to take him with my archery equipment last Wednesday but couldn't close the distance to closer than 51 yds. We had a face off for about a half hour or so but he wouldn't give me a decent shot so I backed out. Ended up taking my muzzleloader back out and was able to take him with a 112 yd. shot just as the sun was going down. One shot with my Knight MML launching a Hornady 250 gr. XTP pistol bullet with TC breakaway sabot. He walked about 20 feet and stood there not looking too happy, then tipped over completely upside down on his back kicking a bit before callin' er quits. It took four of us to roll him over on his side. Recovered the bullet just under the hide on the off side shoulder. Pretty cool! Caped and quartered him and got home about 1:30 in the morning. Tiring but a very satisfying tiring, unlike going to work.
5906img_0502.jpg

8680img_0512.jpg

8701img_0494.jpg

Steve

You PULVERIZED him! LOL
Congratulations,
That is a very nice bull and he will look great on your wall.
I can tell you however, you have to have a big place to put a moose mount. I ended up having to add a high ceiling family room to my house to make a suitable place for my moose.
Anyway, every nice.
What unit?

That's a stud Shiras moose for sure.
Congratulations on taking a super bull and having a great experience.

I hope my Wyo bull, next year if I draw (haha), will be in that size class. I would be happy too!

Zeke

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I hear ya on hanging him in the house. Unfortunately I do not have any vaulted ceilings in my house. So he might have to live somewhere else for a while as long as I can visit. It was Morgan/Summit.

Steve

Steve,
If it helps any, I didn't build my room until three years ago, which was 12 years after I killed my bull. Prior to that he was hanging in my basement near the laundry room and he ended up being a bra drying rack! (Poor use of a beautiful trophy!)
But I am sure you will find a respectable place for him to hang.
Great memories for sure!

Love that bull!!!
Heck, I'd let my wife use that rack for drying her rackholder, even her beaver pajama's. 12 years later and you finally got the wall, man, thats a lotta lingrie

A couple of more pics. I got the antlers back from the taxidermist until the cape is ready. Also a couple of bullet pictures. Enjoy!

Steve

6060img_0533.jpg

3450img_0534.jpg

3530img_0540.jpg

4696img_0541.jpg

Awesome bull!! Helluva a job trying with the bow and taking him with your muzz. sure beats whacking him off the hood of your pick up with a .338 rum.. imo!!!

Yeah, I couldn't see long ranging him. It just seemed like it would be unfair and somewhat anticlimatic. Although they do not seem to be the brightest of animals that all changes when you have to get close to them. That big schnoz is not just for good looks you know. I really wanted to take him with archery equipment but was running out of time. I killed him on the second to the last day of the first season and was concerned if I waited until the second season in October that he might wander off somewhere not to be found again. I think if I would have had more time I would have eventually been able to get him with the bow but ya never know. I figured the smokepole was the next best thing, still a little challenging, and to me thats an interegal part of what makes hunting fun.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom