Utah Lope Hunt

crimedog

I have not yet started putting in for Antelope, but have decided that I want to this year. I have been thinking about the Parker as that is closest to me, and I do know that area better then others. I don't care about getting a "Trophy" just a nice Lope. Does this hunt offer the best odds on drawing, and would you put in for the earlier or later hunts?

Usualy takes around 5 points to draw a speedgoat tag, and the Parker unit is one of the harder draws. I think early is better.

it's one of the harder? that surpises me. When looking at the # of tags, and the number of people that apply it seemed like the odds were better then the other units.

The only draw back to the Plateau/Parker Mtn unit pronghorn hunts are the unethical slob hunters that chase pronghorn herds in pick up trucks and then pile out on the road and shoot from the road or the bed of the truck in the road or from the front and rear seats of their pickups in the road. It is a despicable sight to behold and I have seen it take place every time I've been there and once while hunting the Johns Valley/Paunsaugunt hunt.

If you like to hunt the old school way of spot and stalk, try the first hunt and get as far away from other hunters as you can. If I ever draw the 2nd hunt again i think I'll wait to hunt until after opening weekend and let all those who choose to hunt with their trucks to tag their bucks and roll out of the hunt area.

I hunted the Paker in 2006. I had the late hunt (overlap with Elk Hunt)and it was fine. The Antelope are a little more flighty. I think that the odds are good for this unit, I drew out with no points. I shot a nice Anelope not huge but nice. I say give it a shot if you live close to it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom