UTAH High Uintas Central Mtn Goat Tag

H

HuntingAddict

I was lucky enough to draw an expo tag for the Uintas Central Unit for 2011.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has hunted this unit in the past that could give me some pointers on where to locate the billies, as well as any general info or tips.

Also, in this terrain, are the goats bow huntable? I've been in there a lot and I know it is nothing but cliffs and slide rock above the tree line.

I will take any info I can get!! Thanks in advance for your help!

Track down Randall Thacker of the Utah Div of Wildlife Resources.

He help me a bunch on my goat hunt last year (not central unit).

He's the biologist in that area and a very helpful hunter.
You might want to look for him at the Basin office.

Good luck and congratulations of the permit. Keep us posted.

Zeke

Zeke,

Based off your hunt in the Uintas, what should I realistically be holding out for in your opinion? I know you hunted a different unit, but the genetics are the same and they probably manage the herds in a similar fashion.

Also, how tough would it be to bowhunt them in the uintas? Thanks for your help.

Drew

Drew,

I would/should have bow hunted but my daughter had a desert bighorn tag and we ended up a little pressed for time.

The hunt was great and I still managed to scout/hunt for 10 days. It was a super experience and we made memories that will be held dear. The experience was worth the "once in a lifetime" tag status.

It's tough terrain but the goats can be scouted and patterned. From what I saw, they like to feed in about the same area if undisturbed. They're about as easy to spot as any big game animal (maybe harder to spot than some might assume) but getting in close is another issue. They are tough to judge so go slow with your judging. Expect a 9" billy or bigger.

Get and read the book "Beast the color of winter". The author is a bit anti but he has a ton of good info that a hunter can use and you'll appreciate how cool goats are even more.

They've shot some whoppers in the Uinta units but, like everything, the monsters are a bit hard to come by.

I hope you have a great hunt. Please keep us posted on you progress.

Just my 2 cents,

Zeke

HuntingAddict
First off let me tell ya that your one lucky sucker!!! I know Randall and know that he would be "THEE MAN" To get a hold of. I would also be willing to help ya with what I could I make several pack trips/ Horse rides/ Fishing, hunting trips etc.... within your unit boundary. I have watched the goats on numerous occasions in there. I have been applying for the same permit. I will PM ya my cell # feel free to call if ya want.
I would be glad to help.

Southslope82,

I am new to the MonsterMulies forum so I don't know how to PM someone. I would love to get your phone number,and give you mine so we can get in touch about the location of these goats!! I would love all the help I can get on this!

Thanks in advance for your help, as well as anyone else out there who has anything to contribute.

Drew

To PM just click on the envelope icon on the top of the post of the person you want to send a message to. It is pretty easy once you try it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom