Utah general deer

• Thread starter Thesmokeybandit
  • Start date
T

Thesmokeybandit

I'm a pretty big hunter, and i love it with a passion. i would do anything to take the whole hunt off just to be out there with the family. Lately, i havent been seeing much in my northeastern area. its unreal! ive been doing it differently than my family as of late. their big into the whole road hunting idea, and i've been trying to hike and wait in little meadows and such. so more of a real approach to it. i have shot a few deer, nothing big. so what i am wondering is what can i do to find me some decent sized bucks, prefferebly closer to home, (i live in happy valley, orem utah) and how do i get to where the deer are while im hiking? i like to hunt with a muzzle loader if that helps at all.

Any idea's??? i could really use the help!!

Optics, shoe leather, gasoline, a little bit of luck, and the tricky part, knowing where the bucks are which is not always the same place from year to year. I share some of your frustration. I am by no means a master of finding/killing big bucks. What I can tell you is that those who consistently do have one thing in common. They spend a lot of money and a lot of TIME looking.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-11 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]I've taken several good bucks and my dad's neighbors would comment to him about how lucky his kid was (my hunt was never complete until I took the antlers and "reported in" to dad...right up until he passed away). Dad would always reply, "Lucky hell, he just works harder than you".

The definition of big bucks is individual but I've done fairly well and agree with everything 1911 said, except it doesn't necessarily cost a lot of money (It costs TIME & physical effort.). I don't have much money. I have good equipment and I spend gas money but that's the major cost.

BUT, hike a LONG way; get far from the road. A meadow isn't worth much. Deer don't really eat grass and, if you're looking for bucks, it's probably too low.

There is a genetic-species-longevity reason to explain why bucks allow the does and fawns to have the ideal habitat, leaving the mature bucks to live on the "marginal" habitat...so says Dr. Geist.

Grant (that's I) believes he's almost certainly right but describes it more simply: bucks live in places NOBODY wants to go....too high, too steep and too ROCKY (they really like rocks). They also go down into canyons with no roads in the bottom.

ANY motorized vehicles makes noises and odors they don't like.

My "secrets": Be in position to hunt and shoot LONG before you could see to do so. Stay there until AFTER you can see (opposite the safety advice I teach in hunter-ed classes). Look under and beside EVERYTHING..use your binos & spotting scope; then look again. Become adept at spotting an ear or the white of a muzzle at a mile or more (optics again).

Realize you're hunting something that (in their world) is smarter than you. He's been hunted by mountain lions for 10,000 generations and he's the one who survived...and has survived 5 or 6 hunting seasons. Understand he can be almost nocturnal and is willing to WAIT motionless (while he explains a noise or odor) for a LONG time. He's willing to lie hidden while you walk within feet. If he detects you first, you lose.

When you find him, don't miss.

Good luck!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

thanks that helps alot. i went way up into the snow about 3 miles in from the closest road and there they were! all 5 of them. nice 3 and 4 pts laying right below a cliff at about 200 yds. i watched them for about an hour then left undetected. its a great feeling. thanks alot!

>Lately,
>i havent been seeing much
>in my northeastern area. its
>unreal!

If by 'lately' you mean the last 15 years, then I agree.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-11 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Experience is a great teacher hang with it you'll pick up things every time you go out. It took me a long time to pick up spot and stalk archery as I made a lot of mistakes and screwed up a lot of stalks. I still do. My advice keep with it an learn from your mistakes because you will get better.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-11
>AT 11:01?PM (MST)

>
>I've taken several good bucks and
>my dad's neighbors would comment
>to him about how lucky
>his kid was (my hunt
>was never complete until I
>took the antlers and "reported
>in" to dad...right up until
>he passed away). Dad
>would always reply, "Lucky hell,
>he just works harder than
>you".
>
>The definition of big bucks is
>individual but I've done fairly
>well and agree with everything
>1911 said, except it doesn't
>necessarily cost a lot of
>money (It costs TIME &
>physical effort.). I don't
>have much money. I
>have good equipment and I
>spend gas money but that's
>the major cost.
>
>BUT, hike a LONG way; get
>far from the road.
>A meadow isn't worth much.
> Deer don't really eat
>grass and, if you're looking
>for bucks, it's probably too
>low.
>
>There is a genetic-species-longevity reason to
>explain why bucks allow the
>does and fawns to have
>the ideal habitat, leaving the
>mature bucks to live on
>the "marginal" habitat...so says Dr.
>Geist.
>
>Grant (that's I) believes he's almost
>certainly right but describes it
>more simply: bucks live in
>places NOBODY wants to go....too
>high, too steep and too
>ROCKY (they really like rocks).
> They also go down
>into canyons with no roads
>in the bottom.
>
>ANY motorized vehicles makes noises and
>odors they don't like.
>
>My "secrets": Be in position
>to hunt and shoot LONG
>before you could see to
>do so. Stay there
>until AFTER you can see
>(opposite the safety advice I
>teach in hunter-ed classes).
>Look under and beside EVERYTHING..use
>your binos & spotting scope;
>then look again. Become
>adept at spotting an ear
>or the white of a
>muzzle at a mile or
>more (optics again).
>
>Realize you're hunting something that (in
>their world) is smarter than
>you. He's been hunted
>by mountain lions for 10,000
>generations and he's the one
>who survived...and has survived 5
>or 6 hunting seasons.
>Understand he can be almost
>nocturnal and is willing to
>WAIT motionless (while he explains
>a noise or odor) for
>a LONG time. He's
>willing to lie hidden while
>you walk within feet.
>If he detects you first,
>you lose.
>
>When you find him, don't miss.
>
>
>Good luck!
>
>
>Within the shadows, go quietly.

Best advice I've read about how to hunt big mule deer!!! Thanks for posting!

+1 on the experience. this is the first year that i my self started to spot bigger bucks on my own. ive always hunting with someone that was more experienced than me, so i learned things. but i learned more in this one season of hunting by myself. i finally started seeing more bucks and bigger bucks by working at it. i would suggest reading david longs book, called public land muleys. its an awesome read with great information.

"Shoot Straight"

gb22 hit a homerun with his advice.

Shorten his advice and it would look like this, "the harder I work, the luckier I get"

Remember, it all take time (read; experience)

\Zeke

Nice post gb. Its nice to see someone take the time to help a new guy out. It takes time to post stuff like that where it would be easier to brush off a guy with a question. Good for you man.

Hey kid, I live close to you. You live by Timp Mtn. They take nice bucks every year there. Get on the face....get above the trees. Get a pair of $400 or more binoculars at Cabelas or Sportsmans. Be above the trees before first light. Take a few hikes during the summer to know where you are going. Never go alone. Buy a spotting scope and a tripod. Lok at the base of cliffs in shrubs and grass areas. Get above 9000 ft elevation. Don't fall off a cliff. Take a daypack with enough food for today and tomorrow. Take a box of matches and a ton of clothes.

If Timp face doesnt work then go up Cascade peak on the back. Get above the trees. If that doesnt work go up in the Stansbury mtns get above the trees. Buy the best optics you can afford. Make sure they are Fully Multi Coated on all lens surfaces.

Make sure you can shoot well at 300 yards.

Good luck

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom