Utah elk thoughts

dragonfly4

First time posting here. Lifelong utah resident and hunter. Just giving a thought after seeing the changes on the new elk plan. I know their objective was to always have an over the counter tag and I thought archery was that. But what might help the elk and hunter and over crowding and opportunity all in one. But on general any bull units what are your thoughts on a revolving 3 year hunt for example... 1st year archery only. 2nd year muzzleloader. 3rd year any weapon. and let the elk have years to reestablish and some people won't want to hunt certain years and and keep crowding down on certain years. Just a wild thought probably crazy but just thought id throw it out.

Interesting thought- they try to balance in a supply and demand style. This approach could help with supply but the user demand would not be met. Too many people hunt with rifles and this would not provide that opportunity on a regular basis. They also try to provide tradition keeping structures to help provide opportunities to future generations and this could make that harder to achieve imo. Could be an interesting experiment on a isolated hunt area.

Limited supply, with exploding population= unfeasible. The reality is at some point this will be completely money based. That is reality.

Most hunters are willing (and able) to switch weapons in order to still hunt so I don't think it would change much of anything. I'm sure the committee that recommended the change looked at all sorts of options...maybe even this one.
Regardless, the plan is now in place and we will see what happens.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom